“Very nice neighborhood italian restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fiamma

Fiamma
Reserve with OpenTable
Fiamma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 1,262 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miami, Florida
“Very nice neighborhood italian restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Went here with family during a recent visit to Rochester, NY. Walking into this small restaurant I was pretty underwhelmed and more than a little disappointed. Before we left, I knew I would be back. And two nights later I was! Let me be clear, this is not a place to go for an upscale experience. Rather, it's an immensely cozy spot for very good Italian with a “no- frills-but-lots-of-character” vibe. The tables are all worn, the chairs mismatched, some a little lopsided, and the napkins are little more than large worn wash cloths. But the service is warm, welcoming and attentive, and the food is simple and really very good. The meal begins with complimentary fresh Italian bread and olive oil.Unlike many, if not most of the Italian spots I have tried in that neck of the woods, everything isn’t covered with what seems to be the Rochester area’s customary avalanche of mozzarella cheese. Instead, portions, while oversized for sure, are made with fresh ingredients with an emphasis on simple, delicious presentations without the need to cover it all with smoke and mirrors. The main attraction in the kitchen is what their website describes as “the first truly authentic Neapolitan Wood burning pizza oven in Monroe County.” The oven reportedly maintains an internal temperature of 1000 degrees, producing thin crust pizzas with inviting crispy charred dough. I myself didn’t try the pizza, opting instead to ordered the same entre on both of my visits (couldn’t help it), the “La tagliata alla griglia”; which is described as skirt steak marinated in balsamic vinaigrette, garlic, rosemary, grilled and served over masculine and topped with shaved parmigiano. A very large portion of tender meat that carried that delicious chard flavor from the wood burning oven. Wonderfully satisfying, and at only $18 it is one of the most expensive items on the menu. My brother had the special pizza on that day which, like all their pizzas, was served as an individual pie with its own pizza cutter on the side. I didn’t taste it, but when we returned 2 days later, he again went for the pizza special. Almost everybody else in our party of 7 ordered what we were told is their most popular dish; Pollo capriccioso. What is described as pan fried chicken cutlets, is actually two absolutely ginormous chicken breasts that are topped with fresh diced tomatoes and a less than overwhelming amount of smoked basil mozzarella, with a balsamic glaze and set atop a bed of arugula. Any attempt to convey just how large these two pieces of chicken are will only be seen as total exaggeration. Best to see (and taste) for yourself. The remainder of the menu consists of an assortment of pastas, antipasto, meats/chicken/seafood, and sandwiches, and a simple wine list. Overall, a very nice neighborhood spot for good Italian eats. Come once, and run the risk of becoming a regular.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank GreekGuy101

“We Are Not In Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We went for our 1st time tonight and being a true Italian who eats authentic food and who has been to Italy, including Sicily old country where our family is, the food is ok.
We started w the fried platter. It had arancini, potato croquette, a fried dough, and fried pasta. The only one I could eat was the croquette. The arancini was missing salt and was mushy. The fried dough i couldn't cut with a knife and the fried pasta was gross. The server was super nice but the time for food to come out took forever. So as we waited I looked around. The tables and chairs do not match and look very worn. It seemed very dark inside and we sat near the pizza oven where the owner was. He kept talking so loud to the staff it was distracting. Just did not get that Italian cafe feel. The pizza was next and was decent. I loved the sauce, which I am a sauce snot. The pizza tasted good but wish there was more of a crunch to it and wish it was thinner. Mine seemed a little doughy. For 2 sodas, app, and 2 pizzas = $50. We may return again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Best pizza in Rochester!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This place make the best pizza in Rochester, the service is ok. If you bring a baby or small child be careful, the child seat they give you looks like it's from the 1800's. But the pizza is so good its worth the risk!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Joe10977
Rochester, New York
“Decent food, inconsistent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Went with another couple for dinner. Had a reservation and they seated us immediately which was good. Then we sat and sat and waited for someone to at least take our drink order. Finally someone came and immediately apologized for the delay saying that they thought someone else was taking care of us and said our dessert was covered (we don't eat dessert).

Right off the bat I'd say that the atmosphere is quaint and pleasant enough. The menu is a bit hard to read for some reason. Seems like everything is smashed together so you can't figure out one thing from the next very easily. The salads start around $11 and are family style so they are enough for 2-4 people. It would have been nice to have had a smaller salad option. Lot's of good pizza options. Everyone was pleased with their food.

As far as the service goes, the food came out quickly, but the salad came out after the pizza's and we had to ask for it. In addition, we had one person who took our order, one person who brought us our drinks, another person who brought us our food and yet another who took our payment - which took quite a while. The gentleman who took our order was very nice and brought us over a couple shots of Limoncello as I think he knew we had some issues. We didn't complain. I think it was just that obvious.

All in all I guess I would go back and hope that our service issues were an isolated indecent. The pizza's and salad were very good and there were many more pizza's I'd like to try.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rochester, New York
“The feeling of an Italian bistro and the food to match...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have been meaning to review this wonderful and unique place here in Rochester as I have been there quite a few times since it's opening. Fiamma gives you the feeling of being in a rustic italian eatery, with amazing smells and eclectic surroundings and wonderful staff. There has never been a time when I have been at Fiamma and have felt less than being welcomed as a long lost friend or relative. From the wait staff to the manager to the chefs, everyone greets you with a smile and dedication to the customer. Watching the chefs make the wood fired items in the traditional oven is a perk and almost takes you back in time. But the best has to be the FOOD!!! I have eaten in and now they have take out and it is just as delicious as eating on site. I recommend the Diavolo pizza as well as the Positano Pizza. For meat entrees, the Pollo Capriccioso and the marinated skirt steak are a few of my favorites!!! You can't go wrong eating at Fiamma; great for date night (although a tiny bit noisy), gathering with friends and family, or just a great lunch and dinner. So glad they are here and it is worth the trip whether west or east side!!

• Visited February 2014