“High-end pickup joint”
Review of Char

Char
Reserve with OpenTable
Char is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,280 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“High-end pickup joint”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Over the years, the restaurants at the Strathallan Hotel have been pretty good to excellent. Unfortunately, the latest reincarnation is not part of this trend. Although the decor is perfectly fine, the main purpose of the restaurant seems to be the classy singles bar at the entrance. I have to admit that the menu seems to have improved since we ate there, although pricey pasta now seems to be the only option for vegetarians. When we ate there, the vegetarian entree was called "Vegetarian Entree," believe it or not, and it was about as imaginative as its name and quite a lot more expensive than vegetables warrant. A good chef knows that pasta is a filler and, although it can be creative, it nonetheless feels like an afterthought to someone who doesn't eat meat, fish, or poultry.

• Visited October 2013

A TripAdvisor Member
“Expensive but darn darn good”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Went there for my 51st B-day - was BLOWN away by the make over - for those of you who are local - you will understand. I digress - the food was GREAT - I had the 25oz Cowboy Ribeye - something I usually will not order as I make a mean steak at home for a fraction of the price - BUT it is my birthday - I did NOT regret the choice - the steak arrived with a blue cheese and bacon butter sauce that was excellent - my wife ordered the Filet Mignon - hers was also excellent - she also ordered the lobster tail - the only downside was the practically frozen drawn butter - other than that very good. We also ordered the creamed spinach with bacon and the Wild Mushroom risotto. Both were very good - as I wrtie this review my mouth is watering as the remnants of my meal last nite are at home in the fridge and I am looking forward to my left overs!!! 25oz is a lot of meat!!!!

I would most assuredly come back - the bar is very nice, upscale - the drinks were very good - the service for us was excellent. If you are in a hurry - go to Taco bell. This was a very nice fine dining experience.

Definitely recommend this place to those who want a good meal and are not hung up on price point.

• Visited February 2014
Osage Beach, Missouri
“Great food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I would highly recommend eating here if you are in Rochester on business or pleasure. Everything was delicious...appetizers, main course and a killer chocolate dessert. Great wine selection as well.

• Visited January 2014
Rochester, New York
“Decent but expensive brunch”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Selected Char to try something new for brunch. It offers a breakfast buffet and made to order omelets. The bacon and sausage were rather good it didn't have a huge selection of food given the price. The omelettes are prepared by the kitchen staff but it was rather tiny and not cooked properly. Altogether it was clearly "hotel food."

• Visited December 2013
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I chose Char for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the atmosphere is very inviting. Local artists work adorn the walls which is a very nice touch. Menu is not extensive however what is on the menu is delicious and offers something for everyones taste. All menu items are a la carte so if you are looking for a reasonable all inclusive meal then Char is not for you. Our steaks were perfectly prepared and the sides we ordered were more than enough for sharing. Our server was pleasant however he had a difficult time explaining the only special of the night but was very quick to point out the price of the dish which I found a bit tacky.

I was disappointed in their wine list for 2 reasons. First, they only had pricing by the glass and I would have liked to order a bottle for dinner. Second, the list was short and should have had more New York State wines available. It would be great to showcase the wonderful wines of the Finger Lakes Region.

I would definitely recommend Char to a friend.

• Visited November 2013