“Excellent experience, but...”
Review of Char

Char
Reserve with OpenTable
Char is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,280 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Rochester, New York
“Excellent experience, but...”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I, along with two friends, just enjoyed dinner at Char. We started with drinks at the bar, then moved to our outdoor table for dinner in the patio. Our table wasn't balanced, and our waitstaff was quick to place something under a leg to remedy it. Our chop salads, yellowfin tuna and risotto intros were all delicious, and my 10 oz sirloin, my husbands 5 oz filet, and friend's 12 oz sirloin burger were all wonderful. However our other friend had the pasta special which arrived so undercooked the pasta nearly crunched - seriously. She sent it back and the waiter, then the manager were very apologetic. We all enjoyed wonderful desserts and cappuccinos. Even though it was a chilly evening, we were seated next to a fireplace on the patio so we were comfortable.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Snert41

Rochester
“great breakfast”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The eggs benedict were heavenly! My party were all super pleased with their choices. I applaud the excellent customer service!

Visited June 2014
“Great for breakfast and dinner”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have enjoyed solo and workgroup breakfasts and dinners, and never disappointed. While the steaks are amazing, I've enjoyed some great seafood entrees. The spaghetti squash side dish is outstanding. At breakfast, I've enjoyed great service from Alisa, who greets me every morning with an intoxicating smile. I love the egg white omelet with goat cheese, spinach and tomato.

Visited April 2014
Rochester, New York
“Good food, but.............”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Myself and two other friends visited Char for the first time. Our food was good. I had the filet and my friends had a pasta special and the sirloin. It is pricey as others have said. My only complaint was what happened at the end of our dinner (rez at 6pm and this happened at 815). Our waiter came over and said "this is the worst part of my job, but we have a 2 hour limit on our tables and if you want to finish cocktails and conversation we have a cocktail area. Granted we were 15 minutes over............but we didn't even know that there was a limit. And honestly, we just dropped over 200.00 dollars and were probably leaving quickly anyway. But being asked to leave after spending that much is, well, RUDE. We were in the restaurant for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Enjoying friends company is part of the dining experience, and when the waiter that has worked there for many years tells you this is the worst part of his job, it makes you not want to go back. The food was good but not with the whole experience above. Not worth the money and not worth the trip back.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Michele F
Dallas, Texas
“Is Still Pretty Good”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

It is declining from last year at this time, but is still pretty great. Have eaten there multiple times last week - outside of one really long dinner, with a mis-cooked lamb, the rest of the food has been good. They are a little pricey for a hotel restaurant, but they've been a hot spot for a couple of years now. They will get a run for their money from the new City Grill down the street, that had a line on a Friday night while Char had tables available.

• Visited May 2014