“Good Southern Cooking in Upstate New York”
Review of The Beale - CLOSED

The Beale
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2014

While on a business trip to Rochester, my wife and I met an old college professor of hers for dinner at the Beale. Great vibe, good food, and nice service. Service was prompt and friendly. We shared an order of the Mudbugs for a starter. Mudbugs are crawfish tail meat hand battered, then panko breaded & deep fried. They were good but not great. The professor and I had the Etouffeé and we both loved it. Great flavor! Possibly the best Etouffeé I have had north of the Mason-Dixon line. My wife had the Blackened Catfish which was burnt more than blackened. She didn't finish it, and informed the server who graciously removed it from our bill. Overall we had a great good meal, in an enjoyable atmosphere. They also have live music during the week, and we were able to listen to a wonderful young female singer/guitarist.

Overall a nice experience. I will go back.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Service was poor and muffuletta was nothing like a real muffuletta. My husband has the jumbalaya but was so salty it was not edible. Service was so slow and OFF. We won't be going back, ever.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Gave the bartender a 20 he gives me change for a 10 and when I tell him he replies, you gave me 10 then walks off. I have called the owner, but he was more interested in getting my name than the fact his bartender ripped me off. Other than that it is just another bar.

2  Thank Rick_Carr
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Beale is located in the South Wedge area, which hosts a number of eclectic eateries. The service was so so in the beginning but then worsened as the meal progressed, however, the food is reasonable priced and very good. They have a number of Friday fish fry selections (haddock and catfish) and I tried a fried haddock and the broiled catfish. Both selections were fresh, hot and delicious. We arrived there at approximately 6 pm on a Friday night and the restaurant was not loud but it was becoming busier and louder as we departed.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Located in an eclectic neighborhood, this restaurant had everything! Great food and service and fun decor. We had the Shrimp and grits and it was amazing. It came with cornbread which had an amazing flavor and texture but it was served cold. Even room temp would have been better than out of the refrigerator cold. I saw that they had Crab Bisque on the menu but only on Fridays and so I went back for lunch just to get it. I was not disappointed. I had a substantial bowl of soup for $5. Do not miss this restaurant if you are in Rochester, NY!