“Nice place, good meal”

Shanghai Chinese Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I went with a friend the other night and we both enjoyed our meal. The place looked newly painted, with new tables, chairs and upholstery on the booths. I told my waiter that we would be sharing our meals and he brought us plates so that we could serve ourselves when the dinners arrived. He was very polite and friendly. I really liked both dishes. We ordered the Peking Duck and the Cashew Chicken. This was my first time going there, but I will go back now that I know what it's like. I would also recommend it to a friend.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

We have lived in Rochester for a long time, and witnessed the ups and downs of Shanghai Restaurant. Recently, the original owner came back and the difference is immediately noticeable. Service is better, food is better. I recommend giving it another chance if you were not fully satisfied before.

It has a large party room for special occassion.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I have been to the Shanghai many times and I know the decor is outdated and the waitresses are older but I have always had excellent food and service when I have been there. I go there often with my husband and we always enjoy the experience. Never rushed and have never had a bad meal. I have been there on Friday nights and during dim sum.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Well others have written about the usually poor service here so--
This of course isn't real Chinese food.it is just basically glop with soy sauce and sugar,

But the Sat and Sun dim sum is fine...and I WOULD recommend that. It is pretty genuine although not of course what you would experience in Guangzhou.
HOWEVER, it is stunning to me that they have NO IDEA whatsoever about sauces for jiao zi. Not a clue..I mean.. go into any 'dumpling restaurant' in Taiwan or go out for Zao cha in Guangzhou or Hong Kong and you get the correct sauces and/or the ingredients to mix your own..

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Back in the day, this was our favorite restaurant. How things have changed. First the good, The food had great flavor and portions were decent. Now for the bad. Service is awful. We waited for everything. The restaurant was about 3/4 full when we arrived. Water and Tea were brought but no cups for tea. After ordering we waited about 45 minutes for food to arrive. However,our meal came without serving utensils. We asked for something to use and waitress stopped at 2 tables before bothering to get them. Asked for chopsticks, gave up waiting since the food was getting cold. We were 1/2 done by the time she got back with them. By the time we got home bith the wife and I had stomach aches (we'll spare you the details). We will return? Highly doubtful.
going next door to Tokyo would have been a better choice.