“Another excellent meal and dining experience”

Rooney's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 1,272 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Canandaigua, New York
“Another excellent meal and dining experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Spent our 28th anniversary dinner at Rooney's. Over the years we have celebrated many milestones with friends and family. Ordered crab cake appetizer, Caesar salad and Scallops. Dining room was busy but the service was prompt and professional. All the courses came out with ample time between to visit and dine. Dessert was coconut sorbet which was garnished with two candles. An added bonus was no cork fee during the month of August. We brought a nice bottle to celebrate 28 years. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013

Fairport, New York
“Excellent dining experience!”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This evening my wife and I went to Rooney's with another couple to celebrate my 75th.
We ate very well: duck, swordfish, shrimp, crabcakes, salmon, etc.
The service was outstanding and the food was fabulous.
This month corkage is free so we brought a few bottles of wine.
That kept our expenditure well under $300 after tip.
I recommend Rooney's for dinner!

• Visited August 2013
Rochester
“90% GREAT”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Was in Rooney's for dinner during the PGA. App's were excellent - shrimp, clams/chorizo, beet salads
3 out of 4 entrees were excellent. Trio was good except when you ask for rare beef and don't get it you feel a little cheated. My friend had a beef dish med-rare and it was redder than my rare tenderloin. Didn't want the other three to wait for a return of scorched outside and med-well inside.
We were seated next to the bar and had to shout to hear each other. You should probably ask to be seated in the other dining areas.

• Visited May 2013
Rochester, New York
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had heard a lot about Rooney's from a few different folks as I was searching for a place that would live up to a Chef Jay Cohen type experience, since he seemed to disappear. He used to run One & Snug Harbor to name a couple - both off the charts. Rooney's was a huge let down for my guests and I. My brother has had escargot all over the world - he stated they were not cooked correctly and quite tasteless. The other guests had a so, so experience as in just another restaurant, but far from gourmet - especially for the price. My scallop dish was ridiculous - four scallops that could barely pass for medium in size - and overcooked. They were even advertised as Diver scallops - do the owners/chefs even know what Diver scallops are, because they were not on my plate. Wow - $36 for 4 scallops barely an inch and a quarter in diameter. I would not pay $22 for junk like that - got me once, won't get me again. Atmosphere was quite blase. And another pet peeve of mine - if you are going to have a website, keep the freaking thing updated - says this cost $29, not according to the menu or my bill. Another person had duck - never seen duck so thick, must have been a body builder.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank chris p
Syracuse, New York
“Authentic Elegance”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Let’s face it – we are in an age of pretenders. There are a lot of places in this town that try to give the appearance of fine dining simply by where it prices food and beverages, instead of focusing on the quality and delivery of the offering (2Vine and Black n Blue for example).

Luckily for us, there are still places like Rooney’s. Rooney’s is real. They are not in what I would call in an ideal locale, they do not maintain a particularly high profile, yet somehow they’ve managed to be with us for decades, and everyone we’ve ever talked to about this place raves about it. Add us to that raving Rooney’s crowd.

My wife and I have been there twice in the last month or so. Once for no other reason than we just wanted to, the other because they had a visiting chef from France.

Both times the restaurant had a full crowd, yet our experience didn’t feel rushed. It was nice and a great selection for a romantic evening.

The bartender was engaging, personal, and made solid drinks (an increasingly rare thing to find for some reason).

The meals were prepared as hoped, and were rich in flavor. Excellent dishes to consider in our opinion: Osso Buco, Lamb, Duck and of course steak. I do not think our dishes could have been better – I won’t bore with multiples of adjectives, but will say, it was some of the best prepared food we’ve ever had in Rochester.

About the only detraction from the experience was the wine. When we asked our server for some direction on what to select, he didn’t have a whole to offer on the content of the choices – which was mildly disappointing. We really like when the wait staff has opinions and isn’t afraid to share them. Everything else being so good, we’re willing to give them on a pass.

Outside of that, both our evenings were perfect and really recommend to try if you have yet.

PS – save room for desert!

• Visited May 2013