“Always Excellent”

Ranked #9 of 1,268 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

It's been said that to find he best of Rochester, you really need a guide. Rooney's is kind of hard to find if no one takes you there, but once you find it, you'll discover one of the world-class restaurants Rochester has to offer. Menus change weekly, ingredients are locally sourced, service is professional, and the atmosphere is sublime. We just celebrated our 25th anniversary and twenty of them have been at Rooney's. Each time we've been there, there has been a mix of local people marking a special event and business people taking clients for an impressive night out. Each spring for six years, a chef from France has come to Rooney's for ten days to delight Rochester diners with authentic French cuisine, while Rooney's chef goes to France to share his expertise with the French. A visit to Rooney's is a special occasion.
Susanna and Patrick Adams
Rochester, NY

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank SusannaAdams

Canandaigua, New York
“Another excellent meal and dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Spent our 28th anniversary dinner at Rooney's. Over the years we have celebrated many milestones with friends and family. Ordered crab cake appetizer, Caesar salad and Scallops. Dining room was busy but the service was prompt and professional. All the courses came out with ample time between to visit and dine. Dessert was coconut sorbet which was garnished with two candles. An added bonus was no cork fee during the month of August. We brought a nice bottle to celebrate 28 years. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
Fairport, New York
“Excellent dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This evening my wife and I went to Rooney's with another couple to celebrate my 75th.
We ate very well: duck, swordfish, shrimp, crabcakes, salmon, etc.
The service was outstanding and the food was fabulous.
This month corkage is free so we brought a few bottles of wine.
That kept our expenditure well under $300 after tip.
I recommend Rooney's for dinner!

• Visited August 2013
Rochester
“90% GREAT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Was in Rooney's for dinner during the PGA. App's were excellent - shrimp, clams/chorizo, beet salads
3 out of 4 entrees were excellent. Trio was good except when you ask for rare beef and don't get it you feel a little cheated. My friend had a beef dish med-rare and it was redder than my rare tenderloin. Didn't want the other three to wait for a return of scorched outside and med-well inside.
We were seated next to the bar and had to shout to hear each other. You should probably ask to be seated in the other dining areas.

• Visited May 2013
Rochester, New York
“Birthday Dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had heard a lot about Rooney's from a few different folks as I was searching for a place that would live up to a Chef Jay Cohen type experience, since he seemed to disappear. He used to run One & Snug Harbor to name a couple - both off the charts. Rooney's was a huge let down for my guests and I. My brother has had escargot all over the world - he stated they were not cooked correctly and quite tasteless. The other guests had a so, so experience as in just another restaurant, but far from gourmet - especially for the price. My scallop dish was ridiculous - four scallops that could barely pass for medium in size - and overcooked. They were even advertised as Diver scallops - do the owners/chefs even know what Diver scallops are, because they were not on my plate. Wow - $36 for 4 scallops barely an inch and a quarter in diameter. I would not pay $22 for junk like that - got me once, won't get me again. Atmosphere was quite blase. And another pet peeve of mine - if you are going to have a website, keep the freaking thing updated - says this cost $29, not according to the menu or my bill. Another person had duck - never seen duck so thick, must have been a body builder.

• Visited June 2013