“great overall”

Ranked #9 of 1,268 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“great overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

good food. good service. good value. wonderful. it was warm and inviting and the food was tastefully done

• Visited November 2013

Concord, MA
“Nice restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Excellent restaurant. Like most restaurants I have found in Rochester, closing time is about 9:00 PM, but I ate steadily and finished on time. When our party left just before 9:00, we were all alone. But there was no pressure on us to leave, and the staff were friendly and pleasant throughout.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Weekend visit with our UR student!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Where to dine while visiting our son who is a student at the University of Rochester? This was our question when we arrived in Rochester last weekend. Of course, we read over the Trip advisor reviews and came up with Rooney's. The reviews were pretty consistent so we figured we couldn't go wrong. Rooney's was very easy to find and only a 10 minute drive from the University. It is located in the Highland Park area, right off a main road and onto a residential street. It is on a corner with a very visible sign, small parking area but street parking is available, which we used because of a full parking lot. (The full parking lot was a good sign that we had chosen a popular spot to eat!)
Upon entering the restaurant, we immediately liked the warm wood decor, bar area and quaint seating area. There are two rooms. The bar room is more intimate but the seats are close together. You can hear other customer's conversations. Ask for the room with out the bar and you will have seating that is not so close and may be more private. Our seating was in the bar area. We enjoyed the atmosphere because it was a more lively area being that our son and his friend were dinning with us.
The food is basic French. There are some specials but do not expect any fancy, creative meals,
What they are good at is serving very good Duck, Lamb and Beef. They do offer 3-4 fish dishes, too. I had the Caramelized Scallops and Beet Salad with Goat Cheese. They were tender and large and the Beet Salad was good. My husband had the Duck and my son chose the Beef. They enjoyed their meal but my husband felt that the Duck was a little plain. (Maybe not seasoned enough but tender) All the meals are served with steamed vegetables with rice or potatoes. A good meal but not fantastic, hence the rating of a 4. My son did order the Apple dumpling for dessert. The pastry over the dumpling complimented it well. However, the homemade Ice cream tasted more like Ice Milk.
The service was good. The waiter was knowledgeable about the menu. We did notice many locals having dinner. Overall, for the price of the meal, I feel that you are not getting anything special but if you want a basic, hearty meal in a nice setting, this would be a place to come. Glad we tried Rooney's!

1 Thank JAMAClevelandArea
Hamburg, New York
“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

It's a bit expensive but well worth it. Everything I've ever had at Rooney's is outstanding. I can't review one or two meals...all I'll say is go and try them for yourself.

• Visited November 2012
Long Island, New York
“A touch of class!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

When I learned that we were dining at Rooney's I thought Irish pub. Couldn't have been more wrong. Rochester (NY) is a big conference town; lots of construction is going on in the downtown as the city tries to reclaim its lost glory from the Kodak and Xerox days. Among its many excellent restaurants is Rooney's. Not the largest of menu offerings but the meat and fish dishes are excellent. I had a tagliatelle with sun dried tomatoes and beef and it was surprisingly good. Creative deserts such as the apple tart are worth trying. There's lots of competition in Rochester for your formal dining dollar; Rooney's is deserving.