“French Chef again...”

Price range: US$0 - US$30
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We really like Rooney's and try to attend very year when they have the chef in from France. I experimented with the Veal stew. Wish they couild have been a little more generous with the veal. Not much meat. Thank goodness my wife got the lamb chops and shared. Steak tartare was good. Excellent service.

1  Thank Clarkvara

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I discovered this place for the first time through a business dinner with my company this past December.
Last Friday I took my wife to Rooney’s for our anniversary, the experience couldn’t be any better. She loved the atmosphere and the food. The service was attentive and professional. We both agreed that the open face ravioli was the best ravioli we ever had any where. I had the duck breast for my entree and my wife had wood grilled beef tenderloin, both were perfect.
Looking forward to the next visit.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Rooney's offered 3 main vegan courses, 1 appetizer and 1 salad. The vegan bruschetta appetizer was excellent. Warm carmelized onions on crusty french bread over a salad with light vinaigrette dressing. My main course was 3 black bean cakes, like croquettes, in a plantain crust. Tasty but a little dry, these could have used a sauce for contrast, color and moisture. Our waiter was informative and attentive. The bus staff was surly and only minimally helpful.

1  Thank MitchRuth
Reviewed 27 March 2014

People have talked about this place for years to us so we finally went. Sometimes we understand paying top dollar for good (not great) food because of the location of the restaurant...place with a view, etc. Neither my husband nor I can comprehend why this place charges what it does. Certainly not for the location! Way overpriced for very basic dishes. Nothing out-of-the-box or surprising at all. We eat a lot of seafood and also cook it at home. We both have food/restaurant backgrounds in France and in Los Angeles as well as here in Rochester.
Crab cake was average, beet salad with goat cheese, too much vinegar, my swordfish (at $36 thank you) was way undercooked (could not even cut it with a knife let alone a fork) and had to be sent back. Seriously? At a place that charges $36 for swordfish? Unacceptable. This is not tuna, it's swordfish. It should melt in my mouth, not need a steak knife to cut. My husbands duck was fine but again, nothing special. The creme brulee was in a shallow dish as it should be, so I'll give them that but the sugar crust should taste like it was just torched with the top layer of creme being warm and soft. It wasn't.
I don't get the appeal here. Service was very good but in no way would we ever pay these prices to eat here again. The Good Luck has it over Rooneys a hundred times for the same or less money. I'd eat at Next Door Bar and Grill or Signatures in Penfield before ever going back to Rooneys. I don't get the hype. If it were lakeside, I'd totally get it. But lakeside they certainly are not!

4  Thank Lachance16
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I went there with 5 colleagues, two from Asia. The restaurant was unusually busy because there was a private party in the main dining room, so we were a little delayed being seated. I had not been to Rooney's for years, just because there are so many good restaurants in Rochester now. But it was great, and I plan to go back with my husband.