“This place rocks!”

Transit: RTS
rochester, ny
“This place rocks!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you're craving good Italian food, at a great price, Roncone's is your place. Joe and his staff will make you feel right at home.
For me, this is my go-to place now. It used to be Mr. Dominic's (we all know what happened there...) and Romeo's.
I can honestly say that there's heart in this place. You can feel it. It's not just a place for people to work. They care. They work hard and if something's not right, they'll make it right.
We celebrated New Year's eve 2013 and chef, Josh, prepared a Beef Wellington special that was to die for! Last Saturday I asked Joe to repeat a special of Filet Mignon topped with a lobster tail and tarragon butter...no problem. Again, it was excellent! And our favorite server, Debbie, is ALWAYS spot-on. A true professional.
Back to the food. Some of my favorites; haddock french, rappi over ziti, fresh tomatoe salad (summer), thursday's turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravey lunch special (OMG!).
Plus, a vibrant wine selection.
And please don't be fooled by the neighborhood. John, out front, will always keep a close eye on your car.
So go, have fun and eat well. You will not find a better place to spend your casual dining dollar than Roncone's!

• Visited October 2013

Rochester, New York, United States
“Chicken Parm, Artichoke French, and Italian Wedding Soup”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This restaurant was amazing! The prices were low, serving size was large, and everything tasted wonderful! Our waitress was really nice, and the drink refills were spot on with timing! Also loved the more family feel this restaurant had, and part way through our dinner a musician came in and was finger picking on his guitar, and it was so nice... Great treat!

• Visited September 2013
Rochester, New York
“Best red sauce in town!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I eat here at least once a month. We LOVE it. Food is excellent as is the service. Joe and staff are fabulous! Also, if you are worried about safety, I've never been here when there weren't a few police officers enjoying dinner. Finest Italian establishment in Rochester! Best part about it, the food is affordable! 2 drinks and 2 entrees will run you $40 or less; much less expensive than other Italian restaurants.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Steph M
New York
“A fallen angel”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I last visiting Roncone's back in the day, probably the late 1980's and early 90's. My understanding is that the place has gone through one or more changes of ownership during that time span to today. We used our Groupon for $40 to have dinner and were very disappointed. It may be that my daughter is a chef and graduated from the #1 culinary college in the U.S. (and also that we're Italian). So perhaps our expectations are just too high. But my recollection of my last visits were so much better than 2013. Specifically, the wedding soup was mediocre at best. The red sauce is not the same as the two sisters made in the 1980's--very bland and sub par compared even to jar sauce in the grocery store. The greens and beans were terrible. No taste. Nothing like other real Italian restaurants. The chicken marsala was also bland and tasteless. No comparison to other places. What a shame. I can overlook the neighborhood issues (don't go there at night) and the old-style decor (quaint to be sure). But the food is terrible. And even the bread is mediocre. Veltre Bakery used to be the reason many people went to Roncone's in the day--now Veltre is gone, and they could at least get a comparable bakery to buy bread from--Etna Bakery right down the street comes to mind. Last, our waitress was fairly attentive but seemed disengaged and lifeless (not sure if it's because of the Groupon and she feared a tip problem coming). We will not go back.

• Visited September 2013
Rochester, New York
“Chicken parm & gnocchi”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our first visit. I had italian wedding soup which was very tasty, and chicken parmesan. The food was absolutely piping hot, which my husband loved. Service was super quick. The best part for us was the acoustic guitar player which entertained....so talented! would go back just to hear him

• Visited August 2013