“I don't get it?”

Ranked #876 of 1,300 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I visited this place years ago before they remodeled and thought it was so-so. It actually smelled a bit like a sewer so I never went back. After I've heard so many people say that they remodeled and it was good so I had to give it another try.

All in all I would say it wasn't that bad, but that's not really a glowing remark either. The server was nice enough, but spilled one of our drinks, brought me the wrong drink order and never checked in on us to see how things were. When she spilled the drink she said something like, "that's what happens when I am trying to do to many things at once".

The food itself was good enough, but the rolls looked like they were thrown together as fast as someone could make them.

If someone wanted to go back, I would go, but I would not initiate a visit. I guess the Wednesday all you can eat is a good value if you want to stuff yourself with just average sushi.

Some people think this place is the Bomb, but I just don't get it. Guess I'm a tough customer ;)

There are newer reviews for California Rollin

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Well first off.. I had heard so much about this restaurant.. Good reviews.. So we decided to try it ourselves. I really wanted to like this place.. But alas.. That was not to come to fruition. We ordered spicy tuna, negahamachi ( yellowtail with scallions) avocado rolls, California rolls and spicy salmon.. The unfortunate part was that NONE of the rolls had any flavor at all! I waited for the scallion blend with yellowtail to happen, I waited for the fantastic taste of spicy tuna and spicy salmon to happen and it just never did.. Instead we had bland (although fresh) rolls..
Service was poor.. For a Tuesday afternoon, the waitress to no interest in us.. And we waited and waited for them to refill our water which never happened.. I won't be returning.

1  Thank TravelingGuyColorado
Reviewed 6 April 2014

As a frequent lunch diner at this establishment for many years, I am certainly stepping back from ever giving Cali Rollin at Village Gate any of my business. My visits are with business clients therefore opening them up to the restaurant as well. I do know that my clients would often go back with their families.
I am appalled on how my recent issue was handled. I was with a client for lunch, paid the bill and when my corporate credit card statement arrived, I noticed a charge on the bill from Cali Rollin that seemed a bit higher than normal. After comparing with my receipt, yes, the tip was raised up to an even $10 which I felt was "strange." I immediately made copies of the receipts and went to the restaurant only to find not one manager on duty but the server assured me that I would receive a call back from the manager.
I did not hear from the manager and I called daily during their business hours and the phone rang non stop. I called for 3 weeks straight almost daily. My first thought was: they are losing business due to the unanswered calls and making me more frustrated.
Finally, I decided to stop in once again but this time after work. The manager on duty told me that their was another customer coming in because they were charged twice on their card!! I asked the manager to check her receipts to make certain there was not a discrepancy somewhere besides what I was plainly seeing.
I received a call two days later saying that I was right and they would send me a gift card for the difference. This didn't satisfy me when I had to write a check for the difference and explain to my CFO why there was a difference in the charges.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have been going to California Rollin since they opened about fifteen or so years ago, and have never been disappointed. The restaurant itself is campy and fun and visually appealing, and the sushi is excellent.....large, generous oieces of fish, rolled with perfectly cooked rice. No skimping here, unlike so many other places. They have great take out sushi assortments and also have sushi classes so you can learn to roll your own at home.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We come here quite often and always leave happy! The sushi is fun and there are tons of nigiri/rolls to choose from. There are always sushi/drinks specials and they frequently have groupons as well (just make sure to check which location they're for). Grab a seat at the bar and watch it all being made!