“The best Tabbouleh we have ever had !” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 1,262 Restaurants in Rochester
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
maine
“The best Tabbouleh we have ever had !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

May 2014, traveled from Maine to visit family in Pittsford and stopped in to have lunch at Sultan. The owners are very sweet and work hard to cater to your every request. The tabbouleh is the best I have ever eaten ! Six of us sampled many items and they were excellent. The Baklava was delicious as was the rice pudding. This little restaurant has a big heart and I hope it can continue to turn out great food. My only wish would be that they spruce up the interior to make it more attractive and inviting.

• Visited May 2014

1,884 restaurant reviews
“Better food than atmosphere, but OK for quick meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stopped in to Sultan for the first time this week, and found the food to be OK, about average for the Middle Eastern fare in Rochester. My order was simple; a large salad with marinated chicken and feta cheese with Greek olives. The marinated chicken was very tasty, the rest of the salad was pretty much like most other similar restaurants in the city.

The inside of this restaurant is not really a pretty place. They make no attempt to dress it up at all, so it's just metal chairs and tables arranged randomly across the front of the restaurant. Not pretty, but it's a place to set your plate.

Service at this restaurant is not slow, not fast. My waiter wore a laconic expression the entire time, and looked like he was not enjoying himself. But he did bring me what I needed, so I won't "dock" him on that. Still, it was far from friendly service, if that is your thing.

I'd come back here for take-out, as the food is OK, but I wouldn't dine in this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Larry W
“Wonderful Lebanese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have eaten here 3 times and it is fantastic. You order at the counter and the food comes quickly. We like to eat here after work. The place is not fancy, but the food is fresh and tasty. The Shawarma, tabbouleh and hummus are outstanding. The owners are at the counter and are friendly and approachable.

• Visited April 2014
Rochester, NY
“Great informal Lebanese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is an "order at the counter and they bring it to you" place, located in strip mall near the University of Rochester. Outstanding food and reasonable prices. Been in operation for over a year so I think it's here to stay.

I have had the Chicken Shawarma there twice and enjoyed it both times. It's sliced spit-roasted chicken in a large flat pita combined with lettuce, pickles, and etc. It is then put in a Panini press & toasted. Result it hot, crisp and delicious…. and a good lunch by itself. Different than what I've gotten with the same name in Toronto, but viva la difference. This and soft drink will come in under $8.00.

Others in our group has the falafel and the Manakeesh & both got thumbs up. As the name of the place implies, bakery items are also

• Visited April 2014
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

So glad I gave this place a try. Read the positive reviews and it lived up to them. So much so i am writing my first tripadvisor review. The Baba was delicious with a hint of charcoal from roasting in a brick oven (like a pizza would). Spinach manakeesh was equally as good with very fresh spinach. My wife got the falafel pita. It was light and airy, possibly baked instead of fried, seasoned perfectly and contained pickled cucumber and radish. I had the chicken shawarma, which had a generous portion of chicken and was seasoned well. It was moist but not saucy, like many other restaurants (the pita did not drip at all), With pickled cucumbers. The menu states there are French fries in it, which I would disagree with. They are more like potatoes wedges, which is a good thing. The pitas were also grilled (you could see the grill marks) and wrapped perfectly in wax paper to eat easily. I am not of middle eastern decent, but this place's food is what I would picture a middle eastern grandma making. Will definitely be back.

• Visited March 2014