“Dirty, smokey, trashy, no elevator!”

Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

As soon as I walked in the door I saw trash laying on the floor. It appeared to be plastic cup wrappers. There was hair on the floor in the bathroom and in the bath tub. I was staying on the second floor at the end of the first building (past the pool) and all the hallways smelled strongly of smoke, as if people were standing in the hallways smoking. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR!

They have some sort of Comedy Club there downstairs. The clientele for the club are loud, drunk and smoke everywhere. Overall, this hotel is well below average even for a Holiday Inn. The furnishings are very dated, and none of the outlets in my room worked! The few that did had lamps (but not all of them) and the tv plugged in. But even those were precarious. There were no plugs that would support my cellphone or tablet charging cord, and as I said, not even all the lights could be plugged in.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Contrail_Queen
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest,
I was sorry to have read your review. A little surprised to the area you stated was smokey as the hotel has designated smoking areas, so I am sorry you may have experienced this inconvenience. Yes the hotel has a Comedy Club on weekends and the shows run a limited time each night and then returns to a hotel bar afterwards. Many of our guests take advantage of the special pricing for the comedy shows. I appreciate the feedback and will share with my team.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Had to book this hotel at last minute, unfortunately during a busy week in a college town. Was given a room in the smoking wing which stunk of stale smoke. Have they never heard of clean filters and Febreze?
By Sunday night one helpful desk clerk was able to move me to non-smoking room, so there's that.
The hotel restaurant basically serves nothing but beige food (no color, no vegetables). Never ate there so I have no comment about the quality. Considering the number of geriatrics in the place, I could only surmise that they cater to people whose taste buds have taken a permanent hiatus.
Some people have complained about the noise; its next to an Interstate and across from an airport, so those complaints are invalid - what did they expect?
It was obvious the the cleaning staff has an aversion to corners (especially in the bathrooms) and behind doors, or they were collecting hair samples for cloning.
There was some unspeakable filth on the remote control, but being a regular traveler, I was prepared for that. I suggest that everyone travel with emergency cleaning and sanitizing wipes.
Finally, the exercise room: one elliptical machine - broken, plenty of treadmills that went unused and two TVs, one of which did not work.
I won't be going back no matter how convincing they try to make their commercials.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your review. I am sorry if there were any issues that you felt were below standards. I was a little confused by your comments regarding the restaurant especially if you stated you had not eaten there. We take great pride in the quality of our meals served, it is too bad you didn't try one. The other information you supplied I am looking into with my Executive Housekeeper to see how that can be corrected. Thank you again for taking time to submit this review.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The staff was very friendly at check-in and we were there 1 hour before time to check in. It is dated. Rooms are not sound proof. Some late revelers were noisy when arriving after midnight, but then it quieted down. There is no elevator, so must luge suitcases up the steps. Restaurant is ok, but food quality is not worth the price. The sheets were clean and the rest was satisfactory. The water does not drain well in the tub. Shower heads are low. I am only 5'5" and it is right at that height so needed to bend to wash hair.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

We all appreciate you taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay. I will share with my team as we continue to find ways to better service our guests, I only wish I knew what room you stayed in to evaluate your shower head height. It sounds like it was a designated handicap room which would account for the lower height. Thanks again for the compliments too.

Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

LOUD!!!! Abnoxious locals scream outside ALL NIGHT and you will get NO sleep do yourself a favor and DO NOT come here on business! They gave me a handicapped room right next to the window outside... They knew this is the crappiest room and the smoke from outside comes into the window of the bedroom. You will breathe in smoke if you stay in this room. It is a disgrace and I will be filing a complaint! I have no idea how anyone could give this anything but one star there's an Elvis impersonator in the lobby , I'm not kidding!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank courtneyesunshine
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Dear Guest,
I am disappointed to have read such harsh comments. I certainly can understand frustrations on smelling cigarette smoke that the wind can push back into the hotel, that can be disruptive to everybody. I do apologize that you were displeased with your room type and it's location. I am baffled by your "Elvis" comment but nonetheless sorry that you didn't enjoy any part of your stay. Only wish we could have done something to assist you while you were here if you had alerted us to these concerns.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Indifferent front desk staff, tired facility, was redeemed by friendly, helpful staff in the restaurant. Bonus points for serving dessert pies made by a local charity...great idea.
It is not a top notch facility but it is just fine to stay in overnight.

Room Tip: You can park near your room if you can look at a hotel map before going to the room. I was misdirec...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your feedback from your recent stay. We constantly look to better our services we offer to our guests and I was pleased that you took advantage of our desserts we get locally and will share your comments with my team to insure they are aware of your comments as well.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This location needs some work - in many areas. It feels dated and in need of some TLC. Having to haul my suitcase up the stairs was good exercise but I can see where others might have troubles with the stairs. Our room was at a high level clean, but while retrieving something off the floor, I noticed that the room was not vacuumed well at all - white hairs that appeared to be dog hair - around the edges. I looked up while in the shower and regretted it - the fan above my head was disgusting. The beds and the bathroom were clean, though, and that's MOST important so I did not complain. Unfortunately, if I had decided to, I may have been met with the same not-very-friendly desk staff employee who checked me in. She pushed things across the desk to me without saying anything, didn't smile, acted like I was bothering her. It was not a great first impression. The woman who checked me out on Sunday was the opposite - very friendly, helpful and seemed genuinely happy to interact with me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Guest,
I appreciate the feedback shared. I wish I was able to figure out your room so I could address your comments with my Executive Housekeeping team. The feedback provided will be used to assist me in training some of my team members from Housekeeping and Guest Services to provide a consistent experience for all valued hotel guests.
Thanks for taking time to write this review.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Holiday in rochester airport is of a standard that you would rxpect from thr holiday in group. I found getting to my room difficult as it was far from the lobby and i had to go through several double doors with luggage. Very difficult if you are not in your prime.

Also the non smoking room smelt of smoke.

• Stayed: September 2013
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing this feedback. The location of your room was due to the smoking request on your reservation, it happens that is where this type of room is located. With the Bus tour you were with it made it hard for you to drive around the building to a closer entrance. Sorry for the long walk, I do hope you enjoyed your room though.