“Very friendly staff”

Hyatt Regency Rochester
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for one night when we went to an event at the Auditorium Theater. When we checked in, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They offered to make dinner reservations for us and answered any questions we had. The room was very clean but the furniture was a little dated. The lighting was also very dim. The location of the hotel was great for us. We felt like we were in the middle of all the places we wanted to go. The breakfast buffet was great - the bacon was delicious. All of the staff were very attentive. The parking ramp was a little confusing. There was construction going on and we weren't sure about which street to exit on. All in all this was a great stay and I was impressed with the staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you so much for your 4 star review. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and really look forward to feedback from all our guests. We are glad you enjoyed our Downtown Rochester location and we look forward to serving you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Rochester

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed here for a conference and got snowed in due to a blizzard. Many attendees had to change their plans at the last minute and the hotel was very accommodating. They were also great to direct us to good restaurants and sites. Rooms were nice and appreciated that they carried New York wines on their wine list.

They can have some impressive snow fall in this city. Very interesting to see how efficiently they move it out of the way.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Sang H, Executive Housekeeper at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. We are really glad you enjoyed our property and that the staff was accommodating. The nearby restaurants are great and are a great attaction and the local wines are great to have on the menus. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Any and every time I am in Rochester, I do not hesitate to stay at this hotel!
Regarding lunch or dinner: Lobster Mac & Cheese, Garden Salad, White wine! (No need to look at the menu--Just get it!)
The hospitality and general environment here are always most enjoyable. Its like visiting an old favorite in Upstate New York! Not to mention, it is super close to really amazing vineyards!

See you next time, guys!
-AGWIV.

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Sang H, Executive Housekeeper at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you so much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We are really glad you enjoyed our Downtown Rochester Location. We really appreciate your comments about our restaurant and the food you enjoyed. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is a solid hotel for the business traveler. Valet, indoor parking is important in winter there and they have it. Good restaurant and nice bar. Spacious and comfortable rooms with good pillows. Here's a tip - they have a secret word each week on their Facebook page. Go to Facebook before checking in and tell them the word at the desk. You always get some kind of little upgrade or perk. Only real drawback is the seedy neighborhood it is in. There are certainly better areas of town, but if it's just business, the location is convenient to all of the downtown commerce district.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the comments about our valet and restaurant. Although our Main Street may look uninviting right now, change is in the air. We are excited about many new developments in the downtown area such as those at the former Midtown site including the nearly completed Windstream Corporation Building; the Midtown Tower revitalization into mixed use retail, offices and housing; the new roads and park (scheduled for late summer completion) going in at the Midtown site; the plans the Winn Corporation has for the former Sibley Building on Main Street (this company revitalized Faneuil Hall in Boston). Also, we have a new Transit Center going up just around the corner from Main Street; and many housing units being built in historic buildings in the downtown neighbor hood.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed here for three weeks on a business trip,first impressions are good nice entrance and foyer ,front desk staff very pleasant. My room was on the fourteenth floor with a nice view to the west over the city. The room itself was I suppose a little dated but clean and tidy,for example there was no safe or mini bar/fridge ,handy for keeping water cool. Also not being able to control all the room lights from the bedside was odd. There was a large screen tv but again oddly no HD signal.There was free wifi which worked very well and a handy coffee/tea maker.
The hotel has a small pool and gym area on the fourth floor which I did not use ,and a narrow sun terrace .
On check in I was told I would receive a newspaper and water every day and could have one shirt laundered.I never received the water except on the three occasions I pointed this out at reception.It was never resolved over the three weeks and it was the same for my colleague in the room next door. One evening I needed water so went to vending machine on my floor which was empty,five floors later I found one that worked.
The staff in the hotel were great,we were down for breakfast at 6.30 every morning and were always greeted with a smile,big hello to Garland an absolute gentleman.
There isn't a lot in the vicinity of the hotel apart from the Dinosaur Barbeque which is a block away and very busy ,a good sign,and the Pane Vino on Water street also good.
All in I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt and the Rochester area.

Room Tip: West facing nice view gets evening sun
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We continuously try to improve our customer service and guest experience. I apologize for the inconveniences that you incurred during your stay. It is good to hear that you had a over average meals at our restaurant and that you felt our staff was great.
We hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I purchased a room for two nights off of hotels.com. The price was steeper than I'm use to spending but it was almost the last available room for that weekend. I couldn't believe that at the price I paid that breakfast wasn't included in the price. I'm use to staying at mid-range priced hotels that have free breakfast included in the price. It made me have to take more things than I wanted to bring with me on the trip. The customer service was above average in the hotel. My only other complaint would be how weird the indoor pool was. I think it needs to be refurbished or something. It felt like I was walking in a bouncy house filled with water. I also don't think the water was PH balanced and most likely had more chlorine in it than it should have. My son's eyes were burning so bad that I had to rinse his eyes with water at least five times before his eyes weren't hurting anymore. I think I'll stick with my middle of the road hotels (Best Western, Comfort Inn & LaQuinta). They don't and dime you like the supposed higher-end hotels. The refrigerator in the room didn't work.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Sang H, Executive Housekeeper at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your review. We continuously try to improve our customer service and guest experience. I am glad that you thought our staff was above average. I apolgize for the inconveniences that you incurred during your stay. We do offer a variety of rates that do include breakfast, if you should stay with us again. We hope that your future stay is more pleasant. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years but haven't been in the last couple. They did a nice remodel of the lobby to make it more current. Nicely updated electronics in the rooms. You can feel the age a bit when you go in the bathroom. One of the most expensive things to update, so always gives away the age of a property. Very friendly staff. Overall I would consider this an average hotel, but probably a hair below average compared to other Hyatts I've stayed at.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the renovation and a few of the technological advancements made to the hotel. We are continuously looking for ways to better the quality of the guest stay. We hope your future stay with us will be a great one.