“Great Service and Friendly Staff”

Hyatt Regency Rochester
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
“Great Service and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is the first Hyatt I have ever stayed at, and we booked our hotel through a deal a day website, so we got an amazing room rate. I am fairly realistic about my hotel stays, but I also have not had a great deal of experience with hotels either. My biggest concerns about hotels are related to cost, cleanliness and comfort, so please take that into consideration when reading my review. I stayed at the Hyatt with my husband and 2 young children. We booked a King room and ordered a roll away for my 4 year old to sleep on, we brought a playard for my 1.5 yr old. Conveniently there was a large, unused area where the door to the room was that we put the playard in, this was great. There was ample space in the room to have the roll away and not feel cramped and the bed was actually quite comfortable, although I don't feel like the bed was a full sized King. The bathroom was very clean and accessible. The room we stayed in was well appointed, I am not sure if it was newly renovated, although I am not overly concerned with style in my hotel rooms, it seemed up to date in furnishings. The real reason I have rated the hotel with such a high value is more the staff we dealt with while we stayed, specifically one of the restaurant managers and waitress, who went out of their way to assist our family as I was in a wheelchair during our visit. They also provided us with passes to the local children's museum, which were a welcome surprise. There was an error with our billing, which was taken care of quickly and with no fuss and they also provided both children with goody bags for the car ride home after we settled the billing. We ordered room service for dinner one night and ate breakfast both days in the restaurant. I did not find the food overpriced for hotel fare, and the Hyatt is focused on organic, healthy fare, so the food was quite good. I would definitely recommend the Hyatt to friends travelling to the Rochester area.

1 Thank Sara M
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We take pride in our hotel and we are glad you got to see that in the room cleanliness and throughout the hotel. Thank you also for the staff compliments as our people are what separate us and we value all of our associates. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
South Salem, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Downtown Rochester is pretty depressing. When I asked what clothing store was within walking distance, the clerk recommended the Volunteers of America thrift shop. The hotel charges $10 a day for internet but removed the charge when asked.. Also breakfast is quite expensive, especially considering that there are no other eating places within walking distance. My husband negotiated free breakfast. He got stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes and no compensation was offered.

The pool and exercise room were quite pleasant, but there are no lockers, showers, one bathroom for both men and women.

I am not a particularly allergic person so when I sneezed non stop in bed, I thought I was getting sick. I was cured as soon as I checked out. When I asked for a light blanket, they gave me a bedspread in red satin - not what I had in mind.

Overall, if I have to be there on business, it will do. I'd ask for a hypoallergenic room. Not where I'd go for pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lindaofny
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the pool and fitness center while you were with us. We do apologize for the mechanical failure with our elevators as I know how stressful this must have been. We appreciate your understanding and we are glad you got to enjoy breakfast. Although our Main Street may look uninviting right now, change is in the air. We are excited about many new developments in the downtown area such as those at the former Midtown site including the nearly completed Windstream Corporation Building; the Midtown Tower revitalization into mixed use retail, offices and housing; the new roads and park (scheduled for late summer completion) going in at the Midtown site; the plans the Winn Corporation has for the former Sibley Building on Main Street (this company revitalized Faneuil Hall in Boston). Also, we have a new Transit Center going up just around the corner from Main Street; and many housing units being built in historic buildings in the downtown neighbor hood.
Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The lobby and other common areas of this Hyatt seem clean, modern and updated. The service was friendly, and efficient. We got up to our room and it was a real surprise. Dated and worn furniture like the nightstand and lamps were not such a big deal to me at the time, since we were really tired from an early morning flight. The musty odor and pine scented air freshener quickly disappeared when we turned on the fan. The beds were comfortable so all was forgiven for a while! But after a quick nap we began to notice the other stuff like the dirty, dusty nightstand, and the dirty glasses put out for us to use. We had things to do so we didn't have the time to complain or change rooms so we just dealt with it. Also these weren't that big of a deal, it just wouldn't be my first choice on any return trip. The view was 8th floor parking garage and rooftop mechanicals, but whatever.

We valet parked on the way in since we were exhausted, but the next time we went out we parked for ourselves in their parking garage and it was just as easy. It's connected to the convention center so I guess it could be very full at times and you might need to valet. The game room was located in a little section of the lower level and has a foosball table an old pinball machine, pacman and an older shooting game. All of these take quarters, but there's no dollar changer so see the front desk if you're interested.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry the room decor did not meet your expectations. We did renovate our lobby and meeting space 2 years ago and are continuing to improve guestroom experience. We are glad you got a chance to use our game room. We do not have change in the room as it is a temporary set up but we do have a lot of change through the front desk. We hope on your next trip to Rochester you will give us another chance as we are always improving our products and services.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I attended a two day seminar in Rochester. My wife was able to travel with me. She was vacationing while I was at the seminar. We arrived at 7:00 am , knowing full well the room would not be available until 2PM.

I asked if it was possible to have the room available any earlier, so my wife could utilize it. And in a moment, the staff had a room available immediately.

We were impressed and very pleasantly suprised.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We are glad we were able to honor a early check in for you on your arrival date. We hope your travels bring you to Rochester again soon and you choose to stay with us here at the Hyatt in Downtown Rochester.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 October 2013

They accommodated my special request for no feathers due to an allergy that would have kept me stuffed up for my entire stay. The staff are friendly and provided information requested regarding a local Catholic church and restaurants. When I asked for the local church they also gave me the times for services over the days of my stay. The check-in and check-out processes were quick and easy. The food provided for each of the events at our conference was excellent, far exceeded my expectations. The rooms were clean with plenty of space for your luggage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sang H, Executive Housekeeper at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We are really glad you enjoyed our Downtown Rochester Location. We really appreciate your comments about our restaurant and the featherless room. We hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The staff really make this hotel.

Very friendly.....they want to make your stay perfect,

My only complaint is the decor in the rooms......What were they thinking ??
Very outdated and should be contemporary.

Had both breakfast and lunch at the hotel restaurant, Great service, just OK food.

I will return though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We are really glad you enjoyed our Downtown Rochester Location. We really appreciate your comments about our staff and our customer service. We are glad you felt we want to ensure a perfect stay. We hope to see you again soon.
Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for one night when we went to an event at the Auditorium Theater. When we checked in, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They offered to make dinner reservations for us and answered any questions we had. The room was very clean but the furniture was a little dated. The lighting was also very dim. The location of the hotel was great for us. We felt like we were in the middle of all the places we wanted to go. The breakfast buffet was great - the bacon was delicious. All of the staff were very attentive. The parking ramp was a little confusing. There was construction going on and we weren't sure about which street to exit on. All in all this was a great stay and I was impressed with the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you so much for your 4 star review. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and really look forward to feedback from all our guests. We are glad you enjoyed our Downtown Rochester location and we look forward to serving you again soon.