“Not up to my expectations”

Hyatt Regency Rochester
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Not up to my expectations”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is the fourth time that I have stayed at the Rochester Hyatt. I have had generally good experiences but this time was different. My room was not up to par: running toilet, carpet not vacuumed thoroughly, indentation in one of the beds, and thick dust on the phone. The front desk apologetically gave me a new room which was much better and even sent fruit to my room. The next morning, I selected the oatmeal at the breakfast buffet. The oatmeal was so runny that it was more like gravy than oatmeal. The waiter and manager agreed that it was sub-par and deducted it from my bill. The next morning, the oatmeal on the buffet was better. There are signs on every floor advising guests that quiet hours are from 9:00 pm - 9:00 am. Nevertheless, at 8:23 am, housekeeping was banging on all of the doors on my floor. I complained to the front desk and housekeeping arrived later the next day. Again, the front desk was very apologetic.
Each time I complained, the situation was remedied. But, I think that some of those situations could have been avoided up front.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Nicole M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

I apologize that the experience did not meet your expectations. We do strive to give every guest a comfortable and clean room and it seems like this past experience did not do so. We hope that you can view this past experience as a one time occurrence instead of a continuous concern. I would love to get the chance to show you how great of an experience you can have with us.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed here for a celebration weekend. My grandparents 50th anniversary and my brothers 26th birthday. From the start the staff was amazing! Lori really helped make our stay wonderful. She made sure we had everything we needed right from the start. Some of the family got in late on Friday and were able to eat in the restaurant and have a champagne toast. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. At the breakfast buffet, which is 100% worth the cost there were plenty of options. There is also a menu if you are not as hungry. Lori talked with our table and treated us like royalty the whole time we were there, she knew we were celebrating because the great waitress from the night before had let her know :) Saturday night we went out for dinner and returned to the hotel for a few drinks at the bar. There is a huge projector screen on the wall where you can watch sports or whatever else on t.v. Sunday morning I had to be up early to catch a train. I was about to grab coffee in the lobby when Lori saw me and called me over to wrap me up a bagel and coffee for my long ride. I will definitely stay here whenever I return to Rochester. Shout out to Garland who took care of us Saturday morning :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Nicole M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your five star review of our downtown Rochester property, Hyatt Regency Rochester.

I am very glad to hear you had a wonderful time for your grandparents 50th anniversary and your brother's 26th birthday. Thank you for all the wonderful things you had to say about Lori and Garland. They are exceptional at what they do and it is nice to see them being recognized. I will be sure to pass on the great compliments.

The clean rooms, breakfast buffet, and projector screen in the restaurant are also great as they make our guests feel comfortable and at home.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

During my career, I've traveled quite a bit, and I've stayed in all the major hotel chains. I've always liked Hyatt properties, but I must say that this particular one excels! I've enjoyed 2 week long stays at the Hyatt Regency Rochester during the past Winter. During each stay, Rochester was hit with lots of snow and extremely cold temperatures. During the first stay, I rented a car at the airport. I promptly parked it in the garage and never took it out again until I Ieft Rochester. For my second stay, I took advantage of the complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The drivers were very friendly, courteous and prompt on arrival and departure. This is a great place to be 'holed' up during rough weather! The restaurant and bar offer a wide assortment of dining and drinking options. The spacious rooms are nicely appointed and very comfortable. They even had a magnifying mirror in the bathroom for these middle-aged, weary eyes! The breakfast buffet, which was included in my corporate rate, is a lovely spread, including frittatas, breakfast meats, fresh fruit and yogurt, and baked goods that vary each day. It will carry you well through lunch. The fitness center is well-equipped, and I used it every single day! The staff is extremely welcoming, and all are enthusiastic about assisting you with whatever you need whether it's a quick repair, a billing inquiry, or a restaurant recommendation. Speaking of which, there are several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. One snowy, freezing evening, the general manager gave us lift to a nearby Pane Vino on his way home! The Hyatt Rochester will always be my first choice when I visit this area!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Sang H, Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review of our downtown Rochester location on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoy your stays with us in Rochester. We do try our best to ensure a quality rooms, great food service, and friendly staff for all our guests. Being centrally located helps guests with dining options in the nearby area, which seems to be a hit. We are happy that you have only great things to say about us and we certainly will see you again.
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here for an overnight this past weekend. From the minute we walked in the door until we checked out, we were treated like royalty. This is unheard of in a busy downtown hotel. Greeted by handshake before stepping up to the desk. Best possible rates extended to us. Dinner was great and Keith, our waiter was personable and knowledgeable. Staff at buffet breakfast was excellent as well (making recommendations, etc.). A great experience. Going back in 2 weeks for an event at the convention center!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5 star review on TripAdvisor of our downtown Rochester property. We appreciate you comments regarding a great staff, restaurant, and breakfast buffet. Keith is great and we will be sure to share the great comments with him. Thank you and we will see you in 2 weeks.
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel during a volleyball tournament in Rochester. The hotel was clean and efficient. The rooms were comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The adults were able to have a nice drink at the bar in the evening. My only complaint is that during our stay there weren't a lot of options for breakfast and quick meals within walking distance from the hotel. Since we were there for a tournament, we had to eat an early breakfast, and most of the local places were closed! Thus, we ate at the hotel breakfast buffet which was pricey. Overall it was a good experience though, and I would stay here again if in town for another tournament.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the 4 star review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms along with the friendly staff. We apologize for the lack of menu items for breakfast. We enjoyed having the group in house and we hope to see you again soon.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Traveled to Rochester for a business trip that was supposed to be routine. When there, Rochester got a 20" blizzard type snow storm. The city was shut down, all businesses were closed. There was a travel ban. No one could leave the hotel. All the guests (and the hotel crew) were stuck in the hotel for more than a day. The hotel staff really 'stepped up', and made sure that all of us trapped guests were well taken care of. They set up buffets for all the meals (even for lunch when they are not usually open), and the staff (who we saw at breakfast, lunch and dinner) kept right on smiling and made sure we were treated like kings. While I would rate the hotel overall very high, it is the staff that gets my highest praise (and a special thank you to 'Nick' for his exceptional fine service in the restaurant).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sang H, Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for the 5 star review of our downtown Rochester location on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the great comments about the staff and overall satisfaction of the hotel. The blizzard was almost unavoidable, but we are happy that the guests felt like kings during an unfortunate time. We are thrilled that you had a great stay and we have passed on the praises of Nick on to his manager and the hotel. Thank you and we will see you again.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Great location at a reasonable price. Nice room with beautiful large flat screen TV. Front desk staff were great and pointed us to a great restaurant call Dinosaur Bar B Que which was on our way to the arena. Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the 5 star review on TripAdvisor of our downtown Rochester property. We are happy that you had a great time while going to a hockey game. We are glad we are centrally located in downtown Rochester for your travelling needs. We hope to see you again.