“Great Staff, Good Night's Sleep”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
New York
“Great Staff, Good Night's Sleep”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Airport Radisson. I booked online using my Carlson Club points. The hotel is convenient to the airport, the shopping malls, universities and most major arteries. There is a complimentary shtu tle that goes to the airport and up to five miles from the hotel..which was truly annoying. I had business in the City of Rochester, a little over six miles away. They were having some convention and parking in that city is poor undert he best of circumstances, so a lift from the shuttle would have been appreciated. That being said, my room was on the first floor, not ideal but the hotel was quite full. It was a long walk but the room itself was clean and comfortable. The decor was the standard dull hotel traditional and they boast quite abit about the sleep number beds. Actually, the beds were quite comfortable to sleep in but quite uncomfortable to sit on. They are nosiy..when I first arrived I was wondering why housekeeping was vaccuming at night only to realize the sounds were people adjusting their beds. I slept great both nights I was there and I am a very light sleeper. The bathroom was clean and bright and I loved the complimentary shower soap. It was oatmeal with exfoliating bumps and left my skin very soft.

Guests at the hotel get a discount if they patronize the attached restaurant. Breakfast was fine but dinner was awful, which is too bad because my waiter was a charming and personable young man. The wine list was very small and uninspired. The dinner I had was almost inedible. Breakfast was an adequate if unexciting buffet. Again the server was a delight.

Wifi is complimentary. There is a small business center,gym and a large and inviting pool. The parking lot is ample and well lit.

I was very impressed with the staff. They were friendly and professional. The accomodations were clean and comfortable and I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Thank you for your positive comments about your stay. I am sorry you did experience some problems and have addressed them with my team so they can correct the.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Off to a bad start... went in at 1:30pm and asked if I had a reservation. The clerk said check-in not till 3pm before confirming if I had a room. Rather than politely say "no rooms ready", they said they'll be adhering to 3pm check-in. So, I gave them my info and told them I'll be using their business office space to check my messages.

Office space roomier than some NYC studio apartments, but hardly an office when you have 2 workstations with printers, and one of the two workstation is stuck on bootup sequence asking for an install CD for the operating system. One of the desks is stained with beverage rings (no coasters provided). So, come 3pm and I got assigned room 207 when I went to the counter.

The room was a run-of-the-house 2 bed (full size) accomodation. It's got a sleep number system installed that responds awfully slow. The electrical sockets need to be repaired (see first photo) and the bathtub needs thorough disinfection after removing the non-skid mat (see moldy second photo). Amenities are pretty standard.

Hotel bar has happy hour grub; however, only during weekdays. You would think they want Sunday afternoon business. Lots of the flight crew overnight here.

One thing to note: they do not have enough pool towels. Bring your own towels if you decide an evening dip is needed. I think they only stock up towels once a day.

Room Tip: Avoid ground level rooms and bring extra towels to the pool
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank KKua
Thank you for your comments. The problems you experienced in your room have been corrected. We are sorry you experienced problems during your stay.
Brewster, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Did not sleep a wink..bed uncomfortable, a/c noise was like a locamotive coming thru everytime it switched on, bathroom is extremely old and need of refurbishing, bathroom smelled like urine from the minute we arrived & tissue holder was actually rusty...sleep number bed was no more than an air mattress covered in a thin foam and was lopsided. It was close to the school...so that is the only plus.

Room Tip: Dont pay extra for the sleepnumber bed
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel is relatively close to the airport but at the same time away from the noise of the airplanes. I stayed for three nights while I was doing some business with RIT. I had a problem with the bathroom sink drain but it was fixed in a reasonable amount of time. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The front desk staff was very helpful and did everything they could to make my stay a pleasant one. I would recommend it to other people traveling to Rochester.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us again when you are in Rochester.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2011

While passing through Rochester, I stayed a night at the Radisson after successfully bidding $60 for a three-star hotel on Priceline. I normally stay at Marriott, Hilton and Holiday Inn hotels, so I was somewhat excited to try Radisson (I've only stayed at one other Radisson before). I was very disappointed.

This is a very dated hotel that needs a total remodeling. Basically, they need to close the hotel and gut it from the inside out akin to what Holiday Inn has done with most of its hotels in the last two years.

The staff was friendly, but some of the usual niceties (such as greeting a guest by Mr. or Mrs. Last Name) upon arrival were missing. The public spaces were dark and the decor looked like it was last updated in the 1990s.

While the hotel did have complimentary wireless internet, a flat-screen television and free parking, these do not make up for its other downsides. The room was plain and the furnishings were old and frankly weren't the best in terms of coordination. (The lamps don't go with the cheap nightstands, dresser and desk.)

My room was very dirty. I came across lots of crumbs, cobwebs and other debris by the beds and in the corners of the room that indicated lazy housekeeping. The carpeting was also threadbare in several places and the walls were thin enough, in part due to the two connecting doorways, that I could hear the phone ring as well as other noises from neighboring rooms.

I reported my disappointment in the room's lack of cleanliness -- it was literally the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in -- to the front desk and requested a new room. I was informed the hotel was full except for a smoking room. I didn't want a smoking room and all the front desk clerk could come up with was a free breakfast buffet (about a $11 value) coupon.

The hotel does have a pool that appears to be recently renovated. The fitness center had a large piece of heavy equipment in it that appears to be used for painting the high ceilings of the fitness center and pool.

The bathroom was much cleaner, brighter and more refreshed than other spaces. The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows.

The breakfast buffet was overrated. It offered scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and some cereal and oatmeal. I didn't see any fresh fruit or healthy options. It was average; not bad, but not great. At $11, it was reasonable compared to what some hotels charge. The restaurant has both menu and room services, but I thought it too was dated and was basically a glorified cafe. The prices were high and other restaurants were within a five-minute drive. (For dinner the night before, I went to Wegmans supermarket, where I picked up a grilled chicken breast, grilled potatoes and fresh fruit, for dinner, for under $6.)

Unless I had to stay here in the future, I wouldn't. It was truly disappointing and it will make me re-think staying at Radisson hotels in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank planetraincar
I am sorry you experienced problems during your stay. We are in the process os starting some of our remodeling. The lift is the fitness center was for installing the new HVAC system. The new one we received had a bad compressor so we had to keep the lift until the new one arrived. Thank you for your comments.
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I actually stayed at this hotel again in April 2011 for a wedding. The first visit was a "girls getaway" and I was pleased overall with my experience. Check in was very efficient both times I stayed, and I used my Carlson Hotel points on each visit. Register on their website for their "club" and you accrue points when you stay at any hotel in the Carlson chain.

The pool was huge...and hotel uncrowded, so we got to enjoy it by ourselves, like our own little pool party! I was disappointed by the fact that the hotel does not have a spa. They have plenty of space for one, which I did not understand.

We spent time in the bar, where we were greeted by a fantastic bartender, who was there both of my visits. Her name was Moe...made us some special drink concoctions and had awesome customer service skills to deal with the crowd on our second visit.

Both times my room was spacious, clean, and check out was speedy. I would definitely stay here again if the need arose! Parking was plentiful, even during my second visit (which was the wedding with 100+guests).

If you need a more upscale hotel close to amenities, this is a great place to stay. I am local to the area, but if I were from out of town I would appreciate the close proximity to the airport (10 min drive) and accessibility to shopping, restaurants, banks, grocery stores, and local colleges (RIT in the back yard, Univ of Rochester, and MCC close by).

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again when you are in the area.
Hamilton
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights while in town for a wedding. We booked this hotel through hotwire, so we did not choose to stay here specifically, but are glad we stayed here!

The hotel is in nice shape with good amenities. My only complaint is with the entrances. The hotel has one main entrance in the front and the back of the hotel. However, all other entrances/exits are marked with signs that read "Emergency exit. Alarm will sound." This made it inconvenient if you were in a room on the sides of the hotel or parked at the side of the hotel (like we were). During more of the day, one or two of these doors were propped open anyways (by the staff?) so we used them, but they were inaccessible in the evening. It would be much more beneficial if they installed swipe-card access to these doors.

The morning breakfast is $10.95 for the buffet. However, the buffet only included food that you would typically get at a continental breakfast. In my opinion, not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I will share your comments with the Chef so he can upgrade the buffet.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester Airport - University Area
Staybridge Suites Rochester University
Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester / Henrietta
Hilton Garden Inn Rochester/University & Medical Center
Home2 Suites by Hilton Rochester Henrietta

Been to Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport? Share your experiences!