“RUDE + PUBIC HAIR”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It all started when we arrive about 10pm on a Friday night. We were there to move our son into his dorm and got a late start. It was a long 6 hr drive. But when we got to the front desk, there were two women standing behind it, one attending to a customer on the phone. The other lady looks at us and says "I'll be right with you" and walks to the back. The next thing we see is THAT woman walking out the front door with her car keys in her hand. So as we are standing there, patiently waiting for the womans phone call to end. Another worker walks up to the desk, complaining about how tired and hungry she is and could the woman on the phone give her a menu of a restaurant she could order from. Totally ignoring the fact that three people are standing there WAITING too! The front desk attendant quickly ended her phone call and addressed us. The other worker looked incensed that she would take care of US before HER! We thanked the front desk girl and asked her where the other attendant went, "oh, she went home". We told her what she said to us and she apologized. I appreciate that she did the right thing because she could have quickly reached under the desk and throw a menu at the rude worker! So we get up to the room. Its ok, a standard room, nothing special, but as I enter the bathroom, whats on the toilet seat?? A giant black public hair..ewwwwww! Grossed out! The next morning my husband and I got up and went to get breakfast. We asked the new front desk attendant for a voucher. She said we didnt qualify for one. Then I show her and email stating the room comes with two free breakfasts. She relents and hands us the vouchers. We get into the restaurant, and waited a good 10 min to be addressed (there was only one other party there). I asked for coffee and half-n-half. But instead she brings me milk! YUCK! Ruins my coffee! So I tell her but she doesnt bring me a NEW coffee, just the creamer I initially requested. The service was awful and it was a buffet! We asked her for some whole wheat bread and she never brought it. Then as we go to leave, she brings us the bill and notices I hadnt drank the coffee, stating that she doesnt drink coffee so it never crossed her mind to get me a new one! Wow! How about checking back with your customer to see if they needed anything else, like maybe to rewarm the coffee? I guess I expect too much but I waitressed to once! The rest of our visit was fine. The waitress the next morning was superb. The pool looked nice but I never went in to see it. My husband said the exercise room was lacking and tiny. Im not sure I will stay here again since there are other hotels in the area. Its too bad because my son will be up there for the next 5 yrs and we will be visiting several times a year....
Oh, and the last night there were girls laughing and yelling in the hallway at 3am. I couldnt wait to get home!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

I am sorry you experienced problems during your stay. I will review your comments with my managers so they can address the issues you noted. Thank you for your feed back.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here with our two young children for two nights while visiting friends in the area. I booked this hotel using Club Carlson points for a very reasonable conversion rate compared with other Carlson properties. The room and property in general had a slightly worn feel, but it was acceptable. I'm not a big fan of the "sleep number" beds to begin with and one of them was not even functional. The crib we requested in advance was waiting for us outside the door of the room when we arrived - a plus, given that we arrived very late and often have to re-request one upon arrival - and was in good condition. The non-complimentary breakfast buffet on Friday morning was not very good. We didn't eat until approx. 9AM, so maybe the food had been sitting around a while, but the selection was not great and the quality was substandard, even if it had been free. The wait staff, however, was very friendly and helpful. The only other complaint is that some of the other guests were a bit rowdy in the hallways late Friday night/early Saturday morning. I think there was a wedding party staying in the hotel and the management could have done more to ensure that other guests were not disturbed by their behavior.

Room Tip: Request a room as close to the lobby as possible. It's a long walk to the back corner of the L...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

I am sorry that you experienced problems in the restaurant during your stay. I will be sure to review them with the department manager. Thank you for your feed back.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport

Good:
Susie at the front desk was friendly and helpful.
Bed gave me a good night's sleep.
Nice area; next to RIT.

Bad:
Only Susie was at the front desk when I checked in (~7pm), so when the phone rang, she picked it up; interrupting my checkin.

In the room, the bathroom door knob was loose; and I mean wobbling loose.
Although minor; it was surprising that someone had let it got that loose; it would have taken a long time. I guess nobody does room inspections on a regular basis.
Phone Susie and she had maintenance repair it; within 15 minutes.

Looked under the bed to find a previous guests papers.
I tend to sniff around when I stay in a hotel the first time; to help me in deciding to stay there again.

Went to use the wireless internet to find it extremely slow.
I mean very very very slow; unusably slow.
I did a speed test (www.speedtest.com) with these results:
Download: 0.35 mbps
Upload: 0.66 mbps
By anyone's standards in 2012, this is an embarrassment.
The hotel is next to RIT; get the kids there to help you.
There is an RJ45 jack for wired; but no RJ45 cable; duh?
I chose to tether off my cell phone to get work done.

Went to take shower in the morning.
I find "body lotion" and "hair conditioner" tubes; but no shampoo.

I found the noise from the heating/cooling unit annoying, particularly as my bed was right next to it.
I tried to turn it off at the controls; but nothing worked.

A few feet from the elevator there was an (wall) electrical outlet with something plugged it.
Upon closer inspection it looked like a cell phone charger; the mini USB wire just hanging down onto the carpet.
That's unusual I thought.

To summarize, this hotel misses on the little things; a sign of weak management.
Would I come back? Not unless other hotels in the area turned out to be worse.
I gave it an "average" rating; but was leaning toward poor due to the little things.
This is not a cheap hotel; 150/night. I expected more.

Room Tip: Location next to RIT is this hotels biggest plus. If it wasn't location location location, this...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

I am sorry you experienced problems during your stay. we do have a 10 meg internet line however when a high number of guests download moveis and file share through the wirdless network it does slow it down. I will be sure to review your comments with the team so they can correct the issues you experienced. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Good: I got a good price for this place on Priceline and it is located practically on the property of RIT, which was my destination. The woman at the front desk was pleasant. The indoor pool was large and it looked nice but I did not use it. There was a nice flat screen TV in the room. There are many chain restaurants and a lot of shopping with in a few minutes driving distance. Parking was fine.

The Bad: This hotel has a dated look. It needs to be refurbished ASAP.

The Ugly: The beds are awful - they are the old sleep number beds and they are not functioning properly anymore. The air conditioners are old and very noisy.

Room Tip: If you are not too fussy and get a good price on Priceline stay here. If you get "grossed-out...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

We apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. We have addressed the issue regarding the condition of the hotel with hotel management, and we are contemplating updates and other changes in the near future. We further apologize for the malfunctioning of the Sleep Number Beds and the AC unit. We are working diligently to resolve these issues so we can exceed the expectations of you and other guests in the future. We thank you for providing us with feedback by reviewing our hotel.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

The hotel is nicely situated in a suburb-type area yet close to restaurants and shopping. It's a very easy drive from the interstate. The desk staff was knowledgeable, efficient and friendly which made for a quick check-in and check-out. The large parking lot is large so no problems there especially when it appears to be a very safe area. We had two SleepNumber double beds, which we liked, in spite of what a few other reviewers have said. I had to plug mine in but he beds were great and the room was very clean! I'm not a breakfast but my wife and daughter are so they tried the Baxter's breakfast buffet. My wife said the eggs were obviously cooked hours earlier, there were fruit flies swirling around the waffle condiments and my daughter's potatoes were moldy. We liked the hotel but skip Baxter's, especially for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Like2travelmore
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

i have reviewed your comments with the Restaurant Manager and the Chef so they can correct toe problem you experienced.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Pleasantly impressed. Room was clean. Staff friendly and helpful. Lots of good towels and linens. It met our needs. Enjoyed our stay with Radisson. Close to shopping. Nice pool.
Great TV but could use more channels to select from. Got a great rate for the room through
Priceline. Will stay again when passing through. Only small problem was the people in the
next room had their TV very loud.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jantzifamily

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the room next to you had the TV too loud.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed at the hotel with my We were so very disappointed with our recent stay at the Radisson Hotel. We stayed at the hotel with my daughter's team (booked at least 10 rooms) When we arrived to check in at 4 pm, our room and some of the other rooms weren't ready. I was very disappointed that we were checked in late which meant that we didn't have time to "freshen up" before our dinner reservations after being at a hot soccer field all day. When I asked about a roll-away cot, I was told it would be a $16 charge, I think it should have been offered for free after the time that we had to wait with three hot, tired kids. Also, after all of that, when I asked about a late check out, I was told they weren't sure they could do it, I would have to check the next day (Monday)---we chose instead to get all the kids up early and packed up, because we really couldn't wait to be out of the hotel.
When we did finally get a room at 4:30, it had been freshly sprayed with some sort of chemical which stayed in the room for a long time and which gave me a headache. The sleep bed remote wasn't working on one bed and we had to get a service man to fix it. I was really fine with the small, cramped room and even the fact that it was quite outdated.
The chlorine in the pool was so overwhelming that all the kids left the pool with bloodshot, burning eyes--even the parents watching the kids couldn't stand the overwhelming smell! I was really not happy that the water actually bleached my daughter's favourite swimsuit another colour--she has been swimming many times this summer in that suit and that had never happened before. We are really simple people, and do not complain ever. We have been in many hotels in Canada and the US and this is the first time we have ever written a letter of complaint. We really feel the price that we paid for this hotel was not worth it, and we wish that we would have stayed somewhere else! We have stayed in nicer hotels, that included breakfast for much less!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

I am very sorry that your room was not ready when you arrived, a high numbe of guests checked out later in the morning and it put the housekeeping department behind for the day. I have spoken to the engineering department about watching the balance in the pool during busy weekends.