The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We did a getaway at the strathallan. What a beautiful renovation they did. Top shelf appointments beautiful furnishings, nice tile and granite. We had a light lunch at the bar when we arrived and Chris our barman was polite and more than friendly. He gave us the all the info of the property. We looked forward to seeing him for a drink before dinner. We had a 7PM reservation at Char the new restaurant there. Chris said he might not be there if the bar was slow. Well the bar was packed! It was a happening scene. We had a beautiful dinner and dessert we had and my husband even was able to get a cigar and smoke it outside by the fire-pit. Lively conversation out there too. All I can say to management and staff. Good job very very well done.
PS think about a hot tub. Could only stick our feet in the pool.

1  Thank carver380
jayrettberg, General Manager at The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Our staff is lucky to have someone like Chris on our team. We are very proud of our Hotel and Restaurant but our staff is what makes us one of the best DoubleTree's in the nation. We will do our best to deliver such a wonderful product to our guest.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I finally got an opportunity to stay at the newly renovated Strathallan for the first time. It was without a doubt one of the most the pleasant hotel experiences I have ever had. My room on the 8th floor had a beautiful view of the Rochester skyline and a very picturesque one of East Avenue which looked down on the impressive landscaping that went into the renovation as well. The room and bed were extremely comfortable and I could have easily made myself at home in the suite for an extended stay. Not only are the rooms, common spaces and restaurant gorgeous, but the staff is amazing as well. They were warm, friendly and welcoming. I truly felt like a special guest in a well-cared for and loved home. The employees are proud of this hotel and it shows. I also have to say what a nice dinner I had at Char Steak and Lounge, their in-house restaurant; I would go back for the dining experience alone. Can’t wait to visit again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FraneDorma

WE are so pleased that we could have been part of your wonderful experience. We hope to see you again very soon. Besure to take advantage of some of the wonderful packages we offer.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We went for a kid-less staycation (we are Rochester residents) and had so much fun. The renovations are gorgeous and the staff super-friendly and helpful. Location is great too -- only a block from the Memorial Art Gallery's front door .

Our room on the 8th floor had breathtaking views and elegant black and white photos of local scenes. The restaurant was excellent and jammed. Only thing that might be an issue for some is that there were no vegetarian entrees on the menu.

Room Tip: Views are lovely -- ask for an upper floor if you can.
1  Thank Ktech
jayrettberg, General Manager at The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

We are so happy to be thought of as a "staycation " destination for Rochester. Your feedback about more options on our menu that addresses our guest needs is an important one. Our chef is very creative, so we will be working on new items for the menu right away. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

My stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Rochester could not have been better. The view from your room looking down at the hotel was picture perfect. The service was great. The breakfast was excellent and our waitress Sue Ellen provided us with friendly customer service. The beds are very comfy and the room itself was very clean. Strongly recommend it for travelers going through Rochester.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 6th floor. Trust me
1  Thank chin_c_caleb

Thank You very much for your feedback. We are very proud of our hotel and these comments let us know that we are headed in the right direction.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I spent a night at the Strathallan earlier this week; it was my first time there. It has been completely renovated and feels like a new hotel except for a few minor finish touches. The desk service was quick and friendly. I had a suite, with a big bathroom, an outer living room with a couch and big flatscreen and a sink/fridge/microwave/coffee maker, and a big bedroom with a big closet. Each room had its own thermostat, and the outer room also had a balcony with chairs, which I didn't use because it was 40 degrees and raining. The price was about half what you would pay for a regular (tiny) room in NYC or SF; great value. The linens were top quality, but the bed was a little soft for my taste. The staff was very nice; they even made the shuttle driver available for me. The neighborhood is full of old mansions that are now occupied by non-profit organizations like the Boy Scouts. Two blocks away is a section with a number of restaurants, taverns, etc. I'll be staying there if/when I go back to Rochester.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
jayrettberg, General Manager at The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank You very much. We are all very proud and look forward to serving the community for years to come.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

Ignore everything else you've read. This place is great. Newly renovated, they spared no expense. I can't believe this place exists in Rochester! The rooms are spacious (ask for a suite with kitchenette), and the bathrooms are huge! The staff go above and beyond and all seem really happy. They also have a great bar and restaurant! 2 big thumbs up.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John Z
jayrettberg, General Manager at The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

We are all very excited about the new hotel and look forward to a bright future serving our guest at the Strathallan, a DoubleTree by Hilton.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

I've stayed at The Strathallan many times in years past and was amazed at the transformation. I enjoyed a fabulous meal at the new Char restaurant followed by a cozy overnight stay. The beds are sooooo comfy and the view from my balcony was awesome. The service all the way around was outstanding. I'm looking forward to my next staycation very soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debrarose17

Thank you for your response. We are happy to continue to offer exceptional service and the staff at the Strathallan a DoubleTree by Hilton share your excitement about our beautiful new hotel.