The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 6 March 2013

My husband and I both ended up having MLK weekend off and decided instead of traveling anywhere we would stay at the new Strathallan and walk around the Park Ave area! What a beautiful hotel! Our suite was a huge corner suite with beautiful views of the Church across the street. In fact I sent a picture to my daughter and she thought we had gone off to Paris! The service was perfect , the room immaculate and comfortable. We invited friends to meet us up in the room for drinks and then went to dinner on Park Ave. I wish we had stayed with our original reservation at CHAR - it was a busy place! The only problem we had was a car alarm that continually went off all night long into the morning. Made for a restless nights sleep. I would come back again. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Good Job!

Room Tip: splurge for a suite - next time we will ask for the 9th floor!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelluvr
jayrettberg, General Manager at The Strathallan Rochester Hotel & Spa - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Thank you for staying with us on your weekend off. We're glad you enjoyed yourselves and hope you can visit again and dine at Char soon!

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed at the Strathallan for two nights on a business trip. The property seems to have been recently updated because all of the decor and furnishings were very modern and nice. I was upgraded to a corner suite that was like a mini-apartment! Very nice and spacious. Breakfast in the restaurant was sufficient, though I got there around 9AM and many of the items were almost gone and hadn't been refilled - probably due to lack of customers. The food was tasty, though, and there were several options to choose from. Our server was outstanding in the restaurant. The bed was quite comfortable and the suite I was in had two balconies. There is a really nice outdoor patio with a fire pit and bar in the restaurant area that also looked very nice. My only complaint would be the front desk staff weren't all quite as attentive and friendly as I would expect at a Hilton property. However, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jocesweet

Thank you so much for staying with us. We pride ourselves on our guest services in all departments. Thank you so much for you feedback so we can continue to strive to meet our guest expectations.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

It's cold in Rochester in the winter, but the warmth of our welcome at the beautifully redesigned Strathallan made us glow. We liked everything -- our well-appointed suite, the glorious bed, the dining room -- but most of all we liked the open, friendly, chatty, delightful, eager-to-accommodate staff. Everybody -- the doorman, the front desk crew, the dining room people, the maids, the maintenance guy, the shuttle driver -- literally everyone treated us as though we were personal friends, not just paying guests. I've never had a hotel experience to rival it. The Strathallan's location is also ideal. It's in a neighborhood of big old homes, well-preserved relics of a time gone by, and a block from the Memorial Art Gallery, virtually on the campus of the University of Rochester. We are Hilton Honors members of course and we have reasons to be forever grateful to the Doubletree people (beyond the warm chocolate chip cookies!) and all that helped put us in a positive mood to begin with, but whatever our expectations might have been, they topped them. We will ALWAYS stay at the Strathallan when we go back to Rochester.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lautertrails

We agree that while Rochester can be pretty cold in the winter the Strathallan is a warm and welcoming place. Our staff is the best and we are thrilled you had a great time here. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 6 February 2013

The renovation is terrific and the room we stayed in, a very spacious suite, was superb. Also, we were very pleased with the friendly and helpful staff. They even have free valet parking! Yes, there's the warm cookie when you arrive, but it has nuts in it so not my favorite. The coffee we ordered every morning from room service was strong and delicious. Loved the comfortable king bed and extremely comfy bedding and soft pillows. Would be thrilled if other hotels were more like the Strathallan.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank brionc29

Thank you for your kind review. We so appreciate the positive feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Jan 25-27 -2013 ) We will not be able to say enough about this hotel !!!!!!!! You will be VERY happy staying here ! It is in my opinion the best Rochester has to offer !!! super clean and modern recently remodel great staff greeted us with warm good chocolate chip walnut cookies lol . the rooms are spacious the bath room as well (really) nice ! We were there for a family death . we had two rooms since my two grown daughters were also traveling with us my husband and I had the king suite the living room had a great balcony ! Very nice ! Our daughters loved the room ! The only thing I say is the restaurant menu needs to have chicken wings and club sandwiches ! We are not big beef eaters they mainly have beef ! Hubby and I had great burgers Thur room service the lobby is beautiful !!!!!!! Carpet every where very clean !!!! No Smoking !!! Also love the free valet parking I will only stay here! When in Rochester !! Planning my next trip there in feb 2013 . For a fashion show !!!!!!! We where on the 4 th floor rooms 405 and 407 the beds were very very comfortable and clean WE LOVE This place

Room Tip: Room 405 and 407 great rooms views are not that great from there but it was winter time o who cares
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Crete12345

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are so proud of our amazing staff and glad to hear your stay during a difficult time was a pleasant one. We look forward to seeing you again under happier circumstances.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

From the minute we walked in, this was an amazing experience! The staff at the front desk were super friendly and sent us to our room with warm chocolate chip cookies...yum! We were celebrating my husband's birthday and the 9th floor suite was just the ticket! Two flat screen TVs, a wet bar and mini fridge for our snacks, roof top patio and HUGE bathroom...what a treat! We spent two nights there just relaxing and bumming around Rochester. I love the historic neighborhood that the Strathallan is located in, the old homes are so beautiful and it's far more quiet than Main Street where some of the other big hotels are located. We had a friend meet us for drinks and dinner at Char and it was fabulous. My husband is a chef and rather hard to please, so I was really happy that Char hit the mark. Thanks for a great stay and we will be back!!

Room Tip: 9th floor suites have patios with views!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LorisTravels99

We were so happy to have you and your husband here celebrating his birthday, and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 24 January 2013

The last time I stayed at the Strathallen was pre-renovation. WOW - what a makeover they've achieved. It doesn't even look like the same property! I should have known from the moment I was given a warm chocolate cookie with walnuts that this wasn't the "old" Strathallan anymore. The queen room I had was spacious with a separate sitting area/desk and mini-kitchenette from the bedroom. The room door includes a "peep-hole" cover that can be moved to view who is at the door. There is a safe in the closet which was easy to use and secured items I wanted to lock up. The bathroom sported a newly made over large walk-in shower with excellent toiletries. The toilet was separated from the sink/shower area which added to the convenient layout. The oversized fluffy bath towels were great to wrap-up in following my shower. Plus, I was able to work comfortably at the desk which also "hid" a roll-out table should I have needed additional space. The room temperature was easily controlled on this extremely cold January night and the unit was quiet and did not disturb my sleep. In fact, my alarm woke me from a sound, comfortable sleep which never happens to me in hotels. Additionally, my late night business event meant I needed to order room service for my dinner. Again, I cannot say enough about the excellent meal! This is DEFINITELY a property I will return to and is the first hotel that rated being given a TripAdvisor window decal.

Room Tip: Consider this hotel for a personal vacation get-away or for downtown Rochester business. It is conv...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bus_Pleasure_Travels

Thanks so much for your kind review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your room and time here, and look forward to seeing you again!