“ONLY STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A PARTY ANIMAL”

The East Avenue Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Belleville, Canada
“ONLY STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A PARTY ANIMAL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I dont know if I have ever stayed in a hotel that was as out of control as this one was. The first night we were repeatedly awakened by people yelling and running up and down the hallways. I dont think I slept any more than a couple of hours. I spoke to the manager who refunded me half of the room rate and advised he would move us to another room. Well, the second night was even worse. I think we may have been the only ones who were not drunk, loud, obnoxious and running up and down the halls all night. The walls in this hotel are paper thin which became obvious around 3:30AM when you could clearly hear our drunken neighbour in the next room vomiting. The parking lot was also filled with drunken loud partiers who had been visiting the bar attached to the hotel. When I spoke to the desk clerk the next day, she advised that there was no manager available and to follow up another day. She also stated that there was security apparently on duty all night, however, they were nowhere to be seen. The rooms themselves were very nice, it was obvious that a fair bit of money had been spent renovating the rooms. It pretty obvious that if they continue renting to revellers, that wont last long. Would I stay there again????? You couldnt pay me enough money to stay there again !!!!!!

Room Tip: choose another Hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin P
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're sorry you had an unpleasant stay here. We'd like to let you know that with the opening of the all-new restaurant and event space next door, the City Grill & Ballroom 384, we have improved the security services present on the entire property. This includes additional personnel stationed in the parking lot and in the hotel itself. Comments like your make us realize just how important effective security and noise control is to our customers and we hope you contact us directly so we can live up to our promise to guarantee guest satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
DENVER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I've stayed here twice for a week at a time for work with very good results. They are renovating starting at the far end of the hotel and I'll tell, you the front end looks pretty creepy which shows you what great job they're doing with the renovations. I think this must have been Days Inn from maybe the late 60s or early 70s? The renovated rooms are very comfortable and pleasant.

These comments are pretty nitpicky since my stays here were very pleasant.

When I stayed the second floor it seemed that rather than resurface the floors properly they just put plywood down and then the carpet. Because of this the floors are a bit squeaky and not quite firm. This is not a big deal but they might consider spending more time on the floors in the remaining rooms.

When I stayed downstairs the first room had no water pressure so I changed rooms and it was fine.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

For this and all future reviews I'm going to start rating internet, towels and toilet paper on a 1 to 5 ranking.

Internet - 2/5 I was able to stream video (Hulu/Netflix) during the day but after 6 pm or so forget it.

Toilet paper - 1/5 Ugh, I need to start bringing my own when I travel.

Towels - 3/5

I've spent a ton of time in Rochester over the last few months while working in Webster and prefer to be in the downtown area and commute rather than stay in Webster. This hotel was perfect for that. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the ground floor better than the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We''re glad you enjoyed your stay here and we're especially thrilled to hear that you found added value in the area surrounding the hotel. While there are many fine hotels in the Rochester suburbs of Webster, Henrietta, and Victor, the growing number local shops, restaurants, and attractions found in the East End neighborhood can simply not be found anywhere else in Monroe County. We appreciate your constructive comments about our in-room amenities and hope you visit again soon as we are always striving to produce the best guest experience possible.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spent several nights at this hotel in early May and overall it was good experience. The location is great, with easy walking distance to the Arts Area, Memorial Art Gallery, George Eastman House and good restaurants. There's plenty of free parking and lot was pretty secure. My room was a basic single queen but it did the job as a quiet, clean, comfortable place to crash after a long day. The bedding was fantastic, especially the pillows. I have trouble with hotel pillows and always travel with my own. This time my own pillow wasn't needed. The flat screen tv in each room is mounted to the wall and though I'm not a big tv person, it was also nice to enjoy from the bed after a long day. The room / bathroom were clean with plenty of nice towels and other amenities, including an in-room safe, coffee maker, iron / board.
The hotel is in somewhat of a transition, with two of the four buildings fully renovated while the other lookiing old and rundown. I peeped into building #2 and it smelled really bad so hopefully that will be renovated soon. Make sure to request a room on the even-numbered side of the building. From the second floor window in my room I had a beautiful view of a park with trees in bloom and plenty of birds and rabbits to watch from the window each morning. Really peaceful and nice. The other side of hotel is view of parking lot.
The complimentary breakfast was pretty much the standard buffet-style carb fest (no eggs, hot items) but there's fresh fruit and the waffles didn't look bad. I ended up visiting The Buzz at Wegman's down the street (a couple miles up, in between University and East Ave). For $2.50 you can get a really nice breakfast sandwich on multigrain English Muffin.
There's a restaurant adjacent to the hotel lobby, just across parking lot, but I didn't try. When I went in it was really crowded but there are many places within walking distance. I recommend Edibles or Starry Nights on University. Across the street is an excellent dessert place.
I'd stay at this hotel again when I return to Rochester.

Room Tip: opt for room on the even-numbered side of building to get a nice little view of nature. second floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and we're especially pleased to hear that sampled some of the fine cuisine found in Rochester's East End. We'd like to let you know that as the revitalization of the property nears completion the traveler experience found on this corner of Rochester will only get better. We hope you visit again soon, you still have lots to see!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here for a wedding recently and left generally disappointed. I would not stay here again. We stayed in a suite that has a king bed, and a sofa bed with a kitchenette. The room was equipped with enough blankets and pillows for 2 people, even though they knew we had our two kids. It was clean, and modernly decorated. There were no tables to eat (it had a kitchenette). Plenty of room for a table. We huddles around this dinky coffee table to eat. There were no table lamps, and no ceiling lamps. I think the location is wonderful but the hotel itself has a LOT of potential. Missing lots of opportunity in this great neighborhood. The customer service was almost non-existent. Almost every staff encounter was luke warm. Staff was unapologetic when one of our family members nicely returned a dish that was under cooked (raw chicken served) or sloppily dressed (bar tender), check-in staff (a monotone receptionist that made no eye contact). It was almost unbelievable, because they were advertising this "newly renovated" hotel in this posh neighborhood of Rochester. No efforts were made during this renovation to help doors not slam loudly, or room noise not to travel through walls. We were there for a wedding--so that comes with its own level of crazy. We heard people all night. Plus, there was a hockey team there. Just awful levels of noise all through the night. The hotel seemed understaffed, and in desperate need to customer service training. It was ok....but we weren't overly impressed by any means.

Room Tip: I think the suites are very spacious, but if you have kids or more than 2--request enough bedding et...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank mnewbrough
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than ideal. We'd like to let you know that comments like yours help us to rethink the service and amenities we provide to our guests in order to improve on the experience we provide to every visitor that sets foot on the property. Please contact the manager directly if you would like to try us again so we can live up to our promise to guarantee the satisfaction of every guest.
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed one night, in a fantastic quiet room with an amazing view. The room was very comfortable - one of the better beds I've slept in. The room design was modern, clean and calm, with natural greys tans and browns. We just gave a sigh of relief when we saw it after a day on the road. Our room was in the renovated section. Although there was construction work going on the next morning, we didn't even know about it until we went out for a walk.

The staff was professional, welcoming and helpful. The price was very reasonable considering the overall quality. One of our best stays ever.

Most reviewers would show photos of the room itself, but here are a couple of views from the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. It's nice to see that you posted some photos from your visit. The beautiful East Avenue neighborhood is our favorite part about being here too! We hope you visit again soon!
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in March and it was definitely adequate for what I needed! Good price, comfortable bed, really plush towels, good water pressure, wall-mounted big screen TV. I do wish there was a mirror in the room or just more room decor--brown on brown got a little depressing after the first night! Also, since they are undergoing renovations there is an old, cold part of the hotel that you have to walk through to get to your room--a little creepy and dingy but the new part is great. Be prepared to walk up and down a couple different stairways of 7-10 steps with your luggage, that was a slight struggle.

But, the staff are wonderful and they are super helpful and friendly in getting you around town with the shuttle van. The complimentary breakfast is also a big plus. I would stay here again. The lobby is also modern and beautiful.

Room Tip: I believe they are only putting guests in renovated rooms at this point. I stayed in a double bed ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and its great to hear that you found our experienced and professional staff to be helpful during your visit. While the hotel is currently in the process of a remodel, the only rooms we are renting are ones that have been refurbished since 2013. We hope to see you again soon!
Cheektowaga, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Was in town for a training and the pictures and recent reviews on TripAdvisor sold me. Room is very nice, bed was comfortable. Pillows were great that's a huge plus for me. Staff was very friendly. I stayed in a newly decorated room and was not disappointed. Heat was perfect, water was nice and hot and plenty of soft towels. I will stay here again in the future.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you found the accommodations pleasant and comfortable for your business-related visit to Rochester. We hope to see you again soon!