“Renovated, but still not what it could be”

The East Avenue Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights for a week-end getaway coinciding with the Park Avenue Arts Festival. It was close and according to the reviews, was newly renovated. Some people had complained that it was noisy but we stayed here based on the newly renovated comments. The hotel looks like an old motel as the rooms and buildings were scattered. We stayed in a suite with a king bed and a kitchenette. We were quite disappointed. The kitchenette was a microwave, a coffee maker and a fridge. No sink, cutlery and apparently no power. All the electrical outlets were blocked and we could not plug anything into anything. There was one outlet by the bed where the outlet was working. The floor, although it had new carpeting, was so uneven that it was uncomfortable to walk on. It appears that the carpet was installed over a floor that had been ripped up but no sub-floor was installed. The rooms are in fact quite noisy if anyone else is on your floor. I couldn't believe how clear you could hear any and everything outside your room. The breakfast room was quite adequate and the staff were in fact very friendly, helpful and nice. But besides that, I would not stay here again. For a premium price hotel downtown, (although the location was perfect for what we needed), I was not impressed. It looks and feels like renovated motel. A thorn by any other name is still a thorn.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BigdogOntario
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm very sorry that you were not happy with our Inn. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as we can away from home. You're correct, we are a renovated hotel which is still in a state of transition. Feedback like yours helps us to thrive and lets us know the areas where we can improve. The original hotel was built in 1975 and has undergone many changes over the years. Our newest owner took over in 2012 and completely renovated it to it's current state - a far cry from where it came. The two buildings in the middle of the hotel are not yet finished and not rented, which is why there was a feeling of being "scattered". We are hoping to finish the remaining rooms during our slow winter season.

In the interest of public health and safety we are unable to offer guests dishes, glassware, and flatware in the suites as we do not have an inhouse kitchen that is set up with the proper dishwashing and sanitizing equipment. Disposable utensils and dishes are always available in the breakfast room.

If you could let us know which suite you stayed in, we can take a look at why the outlets were out of service. I only wish that we knew about these issues at the time so we could've resolved them right away. I hope that you will come back and give us another chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The location is great , here for a wedding and the staff has been amazing. Very clean comfortable room ,very comfy bed and coffee in your room of you're not friendly in the morning ! Lisa and the staff are great !!!!!
Would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Speak to Lisa or her staff ,can't say enough about them
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
EastAveInnMGR, Front Office Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate the feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I got a free room here for getting a group from my wedding to stay here. It was a great place to stay. The corner suite is huge. The bed is very comfortable and the bathroom is very nice. The suite had a nice couch and small table. This room was big enough to have 10 of my friends hang out in there, and it still didn't feel small.

I think it can get noisy because many wedding groups will stay here and people party after the wedding.

I saw my other friends' suites and those were nice too. I recommend getting a suite if you decide to stay here.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joe S
EastAveInnMGR, Front Office Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2015

Joe, thanks for taking a moment to let us know how we did for your wedding weekend. We are proud of the work that was put into renovating our rooms and suites. We definitely recommend having wedding guests stay in the suites so that they can all be together and enjoy themselves. I hope married life is treating you well and hope that you'll come back again soon. Perhaps an anniversary getaway!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Management here understands the value of making a great first impression. In Rochester to attend the Jazz Festival in June, we chose the East Avenue Inn for its location which is easy striking distance to all the venues. At smooth check-in, Lisa, the manager, who knows how to make guests feel welcome in a professional manner - upgraded us to a suite, much to our delight. Later, this same manager who was headed home after a long work day became our guardian angel and personally shuttled us over to a concert during a major thunderstorm. This outstanding service & hospitality was a highlight of this trip!
The spacious suites sport new urban decor with many fine touches: 50 in HD TV, special reading lamps above large night tables, and a makeup nook with stool in sleek bathrooms. Especially nice are quality drapes and sun shades and the return of real window sills. The lounge and other common areas around/outside/connecting the hotel are lovely, featuring fireplaces & thoughtfully planned landscaping and flowers.
If you appreciate the concept that a caterpillar turns into a refreshingly beautiful butterfly - you will enjoy your stay at this property that is definitely striving toward an impressive direction. Great courteous staff all around; many thanks again to Lisa, Jesus, Nathalie & Amber for excellent & warm service.

Room Tip: We had a room with windows facing the back of property instead of parking lot and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. Its especially nice to hear that you appreciated our professional staff and our well appointed suites. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Rochester International Jazz Festival, but there is still a lot left for you to see in Rochester. We hope you visit again soon so we can show you around again!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just renovated! Stayed here may 2014. Upgraded us to a suite for free. Nice rooms, clean, good service. Hotel is in a popular nightlife area. Only reason I did not give 5/5 stars was because the hotels free WiFi was not working (as advertised) the night we stayed. Otherwise- great stay, great location, great restaurant, great bar, clean, great service. I will come back here next time I visit Rochester.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and that you took advantage of some of the nightlife destinations in the East End. Its especially nice to hear that you had dinner at our adjoining restaurant the City Grill Rochester. We do apologize for the wi-fi outage this past weekend. The problem has been repaired and, as always, the hotel is back to providing free, reliable, and fast internet service to all of our guests. We hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I dont know if I have ever stayed in a hotel that was as out of control as this one was. The first night we were repeatedly awakened by people yelling and running up and down the hallways. I dont think I slept any more than a couple of hours. I spoke to the manager who refunded me half of the room rate and advised he would move us to another room. Well, the second night was even worse. I think we may have been the only ones who were not drunk, loud, obnoxious and running up and down the halls all night. The walls in this hotel are paper thin which became obvious around 3:30AM when you could clearly hear our drunken neighbour in the next room vomiting. The parking lot was also filled with drunken loud partiers who had been visiting the bar attached to the hotel. When I spoke to the desk clerk the next day, she advised that there was no manager available and to follow up another day. She also stated that there was security apparently on duty all night, however, they were nowhere to be seen. The rooms themselves were very nice, it was obvious that a fair bit of money had been spent renovating the rooms. It pretty obvious that if they continue renting to revellers, that wont last long. Would I stay there again????? You couldnt pay me enough money to stay there again !!!!!!

Room Tip: choose another Hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin P
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're sorry you had an unpleasant stay here. We'd like to let you know that with the opening of the all-new restaurant and event space next door, the City Grill & Ballroom 384, we have improved the security services present on the entire property. This includes additional personnel stationed in the parking lot and in the hotel itself. Comments like your make us realize just how important effective security and noise control is to our customers and we hope you contact us directly so we can live up to our promise to guarantee guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I've stayed here twice for a week at a time for work with very good results. They are renovating starting at the far end of the hotel and I'll tell, you the front end looks pretty creepy which shows you what great job they're doing with the renovations. I think this must have been Days Inn from maybe the late 60s or early 70s? The renovated rooms are very comfortable and pleasant.

These comments are pretty nitpicky since my stays here were very pleasant.

When I stayed the second floor it seemed that rather than resurface the floors properly they just put plywood down and then the carpet. Because of this the floors are a bit squeaky and not quite firm. This is not a big deal but they might consider spending more time on the floors in the remaining rooms.

When I stayed downstairs the first room had no water pressure so I changed rooms and it was fine.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

For this and all future reviews I'm going to start rating internet, towels and toilet paper on a 1 to 5 ranking.

Internet - 2/5 I was able to stream video (Hulu/Netflix) during the day but after 6 pm or so forget it.

Toilet paper - 1/5 Ugh, I need to start bringing my own when I travel.

Towels - 3/5

I've spent a ton of time in Rochester over the last few months while working in Webster and prefer to be in the downtown area and commute rather than stay in Webster. This hotel was perfect for that. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the ground floor better than the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We''re glad you enjoyed your stay here and we're especially thrilled to hear that you found added value in the area surrounding the hotel. While there are many fine hotels in the Rochester suburbs of Webster, Henrietta, and Victor, the growing number local shops, restaurants, and attractions found in the East End neighborhood can simply not be found anywhere else in Monroe County. We appreciate your constructive comments about our in-room amenities and hope you visit again soon as we are always striving to produce the best guest experience possible.