“A good hotel with excellent staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Syracuse, New York
“A good hotel with excellent staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I attended an event in Rochester and stayed at the hotel for the weekend. I had ordered a King room, and got a special rate due to the event.

Parking was a little difficult to find, due to lack of signage, but the garage was similar to most hotel garages - there are two hotel entrances, on different levels. Check-in was very easy, and they upgraded us to club level (11th floor) with a view over the river and the city. The room was very nice - Sleepnumber king-sized beds with plenty of pillows of different sizes. The fridge and microwave in the room were really nice touches.

The heating system in the room worked really nicely and allowed us to get exactly the temperature we desired without a lot of noise. Free WiFi in the room was quite acceptable in terms of speed. We had a decent quality flat-screen TV with a good selection of channels.

My only concern with the room was that the windows were badly in need of cleaning. It would have been nice to get some photos of Rochester through them, but it was impossible due to a grey/white deposit on the outside. I don't know when the last time was that the windows were cleaned, but I think it would really be a good idea if the management were to do it soonest, as it really spoils one of the charms of the rooms on that side of the hotel.

The only major hassle was the restaurant (Legends) for breakfast. The buffet was just ok - nothing to write home about, but my companion ordered a dish and it took forever to come and was dry and flavourless. I ate three courses from the buffet in the time it took to get one order of french toast. Apple juice that we ordered took a long time to come because it had to "thaw out first", according to the server. We found out later that their chef had walked out on them either the previous evening or that morning (we weren't sure which). Obviously something that was beyond their direct control, but I wish that they had warned us.

All staff that we had any dealings with outside the restaurant were amazingly helpful, friendly and polite. The restaurant staff were unfriendly and unhelpful.

The morning of check-out, we got the bill slid under the door, with a note saying that if everything wasn't a "10" to please see the desk before leaving, which I did. I didn't complain, just said that the breakfast experience wasn't a "10" for us. They were most apologetic, and asked if they could try to make it right. I said "of course" and they took a very hefty chunk off our bill - certainly a LOT more than the cost of the breakfast by a LONG way.

Every large hospitality concern like this is going to have its upsets. The fact that the staff are empowered to take ownership of shortcomings and to, in my opinion, more than compensate for them, shows a willingness to serve the customer's needs, which I applaud. For this reason, what would otherwise have been a 2-rating went to a 4. I would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get the river view rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding your recent stay at our property. I am glad that you were able to rate us a 4 and am disappointed that your experience in Legends' was not to your satisfaction. I have addressed these concerns with the team so that we can provide a better experience during your next visit. On a side note, we have guest room window cleaning scheduled for May, once the weather breaks. Thanks again for your comments and please contact me directly the next time you are in town and I would be happy to ensure your 100% satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Not sure about the review I am seeing on the right pane of this window while writing, but this hotel rooms were decent enough, garage parking was 7 bucks I believe which isnt bad, staff upgraded me to the Exec club room inspite of me not being a status holder with Club Carlson but anyways so I have all good things to write about this hotel. Location is perfect if your work location is Downtown Rochester else you can opt for some wonderful burbs Rochester has like Pittsford and traffic isnt that bad.
Lobby is better than most Radisson's, rooms were decent and free breakfast at the Exec club was decent too. Considering the price you pay for this hotel, I believe its a great deal.
the hotel is by the river which has some good riverside restaurants and trails to explore.

Room Tip: Opt for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for the feedback that you recently provided through Trip Advisor! We are glad that your stay was enjoyable and our team was able to upgrade you to an Executive Club Room. The convenient central location of our property makes it a great property for business travelers who are visiting Rochester, regardless of where their place of business is located.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Motel like rooms, dirty windows, poor staff, expensive garage parking, crappy restaurant had 4 people and such slow service we just got up and left. Skip this trashy hotel unless you can get it for under $60 per night. Never going to a Radisson again.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback that you recently provided through Trip Advisor! I apologize for your dis-satisfaction with your experience. Since our goal is to ensure 100% guest satisfaction, please contact me directly the next time you travel to Rochester and I am happy to ensure that your expectations are exceeded.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" then please stop reading now.

My partner, a friend of hers, and I traveled from New York City to fine Rochester New York to attend an erotic arts festival. The festival itself was an interesting event, dare I say spectacular, organized (I do believe) by the wonderful Susie and Otter, among (I presume) many other individuals. The event was hosted at the Radisson. I think that Otter more resembles a beaver, although he is rather hairless (aside from his head), so perhaps I would consider him to be more like a naked mole-rat, but many might consider that comparison to be offensive or otherwise in poor taste. I must say that Otter is a wonderful person, and in the interest of giving him a hand, I will instead compare him to an African male lion with a heady mane.

On to the hotel. First, I will begin with the criticisms. The wall paper in our room was rather boring. It even lacks description as a color, since its blotchy appearance confuses the eye into believing that the soul has died. I would probably say it was tan colored if a gun was pointed at my head and/or genitals. The room ceilings were plastered with the traditional white stucco, which I primarily associate with the interior designs of midwestern U.S. homes built or re-finished in the 1980s, or with the homes of serial killers, because their twisted minds tend to find patterns in such inane random assortments, such as butterflies or dinosaurs. Needless to say, this had me on age, but copious amounts of alcohol and unnecessary calls to the front desk helped keep me calm.

The highlights of our stay were the restaurant, LEGENDS, which had in its employ a wonderful and spry woman named Bonnie. Bonnie is well-deserving of comparisons to heroes of literature both classical and of antiquity, such as Tristan, Beowulf, Odysseus, and perhaps even Gwynplaine, although I find that last example to be a bit grotesque and though Hugo a bore. Also, 'The Man Who Laughs' is a bit contemporary to be described as 'classical'. Nonetheless, Bonnie slayed our hunger yet satiated our appetite for human contact with nice people. She served us both for breakfast and dinner, all the while providing us with pleasant conversation and free refills. Although the relationship between her and us was based in monetary compensation in exchange for food and service, I feel that Bonnie was a joy beyond her duties and deserves high accolades for both professionalism, her friendliness, and above all, her humanity. I wish her the best.

Another highlight of the stay was a large Phillips brand high definition flat screen television placed in our room, which was tuned most frequently to AMC for both a John Wayne movie marathon and three consecutive showings of The Shawshank Redemption. When not attending aerial dance performances, genital piercing classes, fisting demonstrations, or observing the quite tasteful display of erotic artwork (it was all quite wonderful and eye-opening, I must add), 'The Shawshank Redemption' was a welcome respite. We were shocked when Andy was relentlessly beaten, we smiled when he befriended Morgan Freeman, we laughed when the state legislature finally tired of Andy's letters by providing a full library for the prison, we cried when it seemed that his last hopes of leaving prison evaporated in a single assassination carried out personally by the evil warden, and we cheered when Andy was freed (and smiled at the warden's comeuppance). We were especially happy when Morgan Freeman reunited with Andy in Mexico, especially on the third viewing. The excessive amount of Mad Men commercials made me somewhat of a madman myself, especially because EP and showrunner Matthew Weiner leaves so much ambiguous doubt! I suppose that is his job...

Overall, great stay, and I highly recommend the Rochester Riverside Raddison. Please visit LEGENDS restaurant and visit Bonnie! She is excellent and wonderful!

Also, our toilet was broken at one point but promptly fixed by the hotel within less than ten minutes of calling it in to the front desk. "Mad props" to the hotel for that.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor comments! We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you found Bonnie so delightful and enjoyed the REAF conference! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to her and the rest of the Legends’ team! Safe travels!
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I visited and was very pleased and want to give a superb rating to the employees who helped me during my visit. Dan, Juhlrohn, Brian and Patrick were terrific. I am a senior citizen and these employees went above and beyond their duties to make me feel comfortable. It is these individuals that help the Radisson stay in business and gives it a great name. Patrick what a job well done!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor comments! We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you found Patrick, Dan, Brian and Juhlrohlhn so accommodating! I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to them and the rest of our team! We look forward to your next visit!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

I guess the beginning of this nightmare would be a good start....

I arrived in Rochester with my boyfriend on Friday, March 30, 2013 at around 6:30pm. Upon arrival we parked in the "parking garage" WOW. If you were to be stabbed - it would be in a shady place like this. It literally looked like Freddy Kruger was going to jump out from behind a wall at any moment... The ceiling is so low that our Chevy Trailblazer barely made it. But that's just a place for the car to rest for the night, not me... So I look past this. Not a huge deal, definitely have parked in shady places before and they DO have a parking attendant at the gate, so, no worries. Right?

Enter hotel lobby - beautifully done. I started to feel more at ease. Before we travel, I always check ratings on trip advisor as well as through AAA. The older reviews were bad, but the newer reviews (past 3 or so months) were for the most part favorable...

Get our room key - go up to the 11th floor "which was recently redone". COOL! ... Open the door and what do we see? A bed which isn't made, sheets and pillows strewn across the floor. REALLY WELCOMING, huh?

My boyfriend, trying to contain his disgust, calls the front desk. Whilst he's on hold (for more than 5 minutes from the in room phone may I add) I call from my cellular phone. Front desk picks right up and tells us they're sorry and they'll switch our room.

Our original room was a river view king sleep number, the room they transferred us to was a view of urban Rochester (you could hear people on the street until 2am) and next to an elevator shaft... I got about 15 solid minutes of sleep. We're from Ithaca, NY and it's about a 2 hour drive. I wish we would have just driven home.

Other things I disliked about my stay...
-broken molding below mini fridge in a "newly refinished" room
- Curtains looked like someone rolled around with a cigarette in them. (it's a non-smoking hotel)
- Spackle on the back of the bathroom door.
- Area around sink was so dirty I could write my name in the dust.... I have posted pictures

So, yeah, skip the Radisson riverside. They actually refunded me a mere $75.00 for my trouble... but $75.00 isn't going to stop me from speaking out against this horror story of a hotel, or give me back the 8 hours of tossing and turning with every "woooosshhhh" of the elevator.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback that you provided regarding your recent stay at our property. I apologize for the issues that you experienced and have addressed your concerns with our team. We appreciate your comments as it is through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our product and service. Since our goal is to ensure 100% guest satisfaction, please contact me directly the next time you travel to Rochester and I am happy to ensure that your expectations are exceeded.
Webster, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Upon entering the hotel lobby, it is apparent that it is a very classy design and beautiful right along the Genesee River in downtown. Parking was free which was a nice plus. The holiday/brunch buffet was served upstairs in the Main Ballroom which had very nice decor. The food was fabulous with Prime rib, Salmon, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Omlettes to order, Eggs Benedict and Gnocci cooked to order being the highlights. Also, the dessert selection with fondue and cannolis was fabulous. The service with coffee and drinks was adequate, but thing that keeps this from being an excellent rating is the check out system. Not to blame the servers, but having to take the original dining slip to a cashier to turn into a check then bring back to the table and then again have the server take to the cashier to cash out and bring back to the guest to sign is way too many steps. There needs to be a better system.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the feedback that you provided on our Easter Brunch. We are glad that you enjoyed the food and the atmosphere and as with any event, we are always looking for ways to improve the experience. Your feedback regarding check out is extremely helpful and I am confident that we will be able to make changes necessary to make it more seamless for our customers. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.