“Amazing Night Manager”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Arriving late on a Friday night, I was looking for a decent dinner. The hotel bar was only offering typical bar food. When Danuel Taylor, the night manager, heard me talking with his staff trying to find a restaurant still open, he went in to the kitchen to cook for me!! Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty! And it was really good. I was very grateful to Danuel for his kindness and cooking skills! Such an amazing example of exemplary customer service. Not something you see very often any more. Thank you Danuel!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Docsherri
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for the feedback that you recently provided through Trip Advisor! We are glad that your stay was enjoyable and that you found Dan Taylor to be helpful! I am very proud of the efforts of Dan as well as the entire Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside Team and their ability to provide friendly service! We look forward to your next trip to Rochester! Safe Travels!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I'm a national trainer and have had the opportunity to teach in over 150 venues this past year. We had over 50 people in their "F&G" room. Because the room is above the drive, the floor was incredibly cold. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE! Our shoulders were hot while the floor was freezing!! Jason, our support person was awesome, but I'm recommending that we never book this room during the winter again. I had to deal with the constant complaints from our customers and it made us look bad.
Recommended solution: install return vents along the floor and add insulation to the floor.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael H
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside. I apologize that you had issues with our heating system in your meeting room. I have addressed your concerns with our Engineering Department and am confident that you will not experience this problem in the future. I have also requested that our catering sales team place your future groups in a different meeting room during the winter time period. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you hold a meeting in Rochester and I will personally ensure that your expectations are exceeded.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We came here for a Debutante Ball last night and were given a club room (with a fridge and microwave, as well as a sleep number bed). The fridge made a loud noise, so we had to disconnect it and at 1am when we were going to bed, we noticed that the battery in the sleep number bed remote wasn't working. They sent up someone after our call downstairs and we were informed that they didn't have batteries but instead gave us a voucher for ONE free continental breakfast (there are 2 of us here). The coffee in the am was horrible...

Room is large although you hear the train from the outside. At 9am housekeeping came knocking on our door - WHAT? Thankfully we were up, but if we weren't that would have been a rude awakening.

My suggestion - modernize the room. Clean the windows (we have a water view, but can't really see the water because of the dirty window). Have extra batteries or regularly check the remotes for the sleep number beds. The only decent thing here was the free wifi.

If you need to stay in the downtown area, my recommendation is to try Hyatt across the street.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YayeMama
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for the feedback that you recently provided through Trip Advisor! We are disappointed that your experience was not satisfactory and I am sorry that you dd not receive a room that had a microwave and refrigerator as we have a limited number of guest rooms that have these amenities. I have addressed your other concerns with our management team and am sure that these issues will not reoccur. As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to invite you back to our property the next time you are in Rochester. Please contact me directly to make your reservation and I will ensure your 100% satisfaction.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have used this hotel every year we are in rochester NY, however we have since stopped staying there due to there parking garage filling up on the weekends esp. so if there is a wedding or street festival going on they have even blocked off so you can not enter the garage so we had to park blocks away at another hotel. Granted they did validate parking but what a hassle when we returned with shopping bags and to walk back to our hotel. Also the following morning at checkout there were no carts available and again having parked so far away we had to walk with our luggage! Other than the parking this hotel is great. It is a sham because we truly loved staying there for many years. It has just become too much of a problem.

Room Tip: pool side is nice view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside with the Trip Advisor community. I am so glad that you enjoyed have historically enjoyed your stays your at our wonderful property. I am sorry that you are disappointed with our parking garage capacity during busy periods but would like the opportunity to ensure your satisfaction on your next visit to Rochester. Please contact me directly, and I would be more than happy to ensure that your expectations are exceeded. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The front desk staff is unbelievably disorganized. I have never stayed at a hotel with such terrible management. Although the hotel itself was decent, the staff chaos made our stay less-than-desirable. They have ZERO communication between employees, and the managers are awful.

We had a package come in, and Person A at the front desk said it was downstairs. We went downstairs, and Person B at the front desk checked in the back and told us they couldn't find the package. I said that Person A had told us it had come in, but they said Person A had already left. Person B said they would leave a note for the staff later and that maybe after the shift change settled the package would turn up. I came back later. Person C said there was no message and had no idea what we were talking about. I asked for the manager. I showed him that online it said the package had been SIGNED FOR and DELIVERED to the hotel. They couldn't find it. Then I find out the "manager" was just another person from the back. I asked for the actual manager and explained that there would be monetary penalties on the hotel's end if they didn't get their act together and find my package (it had valuables in it), which someone at the hotel clearly had signed for. I left, and about ten minutes later, they "stumbled across it." Come on!

A day later, I witnessed another example of their terrible communication behind the desk. A woman and her baby had come in late the night before due to a flight delay because of a storm. They had spent the night and had a flight rescheduled for early the next morning. Upon their arrival, they had gotten confirmation from the hotel front desk staff that the hotel shuttle could bring them to the airport so they could make their flight, since they were otherwise unable to get to the airport in time. I was in the lobby the next morning, and the front desk had apparently NO IDEA THE WOMAN NEEDED A SHUTTLE! They had scheduled it for other people, and didn't schedule this poor woman for her ride to the airport, which they had assured her of the night before. Unbelievable!

Later, we ordered some towels from housekeeping to be sent up...and, surprise, the message never went through.

My friend was also staying the hotel, and found her toothbrush and some toiletries on the floor after housekeeping had come. We personally did not experience a problem with housekeeping, but hearing this kind of a story is unacceptable for a major chain hotel like the Radisson.

As far as the room, it was clean and well-kept, with a large and temperature controlled fridge and microwave. There was coin laundry and parking available. The bed was small but comfortable. There was a good breakfast, and the attached bar, Legends, is open late.

I expect more from the Radisson. If they change their staff and management, this could be a decent place to stay. In the meantime, I'd go somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank LynnJD
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor comments! I and am disappointed that your experience was not a favorable one. I apologize for the poor service that you received and have addressed your concerns with the entire team. That being said, I am glad that you found your room clean and well kept and enjoyed your dining experience in Legends. Since it is our goal to ensure that all of our guests are 100% satisfied, I would like to personally invite you back to our property at a future date to show what our team can do. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to make your reservation and will personally ensure your expectations are exceeded.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

my family and i booked through hotwire for this hotel. we paid for two nights. we checked in, adn they asked for our credit card which was weird considering we had already paid. our stay was nothing great, it didn't stand out to me at all. the hotel seemed very old to be honest, and not very nice or clean. but whatever, it was fine. we just got our credit card statement this month to notice that the radisson decided to charge our credit card for a night's stay even though we were back home at this point. they literally charged our credit card without any authorization. we called and they credited back our card without problem but what kind of establishment does this? we had checked out and cleared out that morning at 7am and they still charged our card. I don't know if the was the doing of an employee, or it was just the hotel company itself that did this but I am PISSED off to say the least and will NEVER recommend the radisson to anyone unless you want to get robbed. pathetic excuse of a hotel and company.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Marie-Pier B
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside. Upon researching your reservation it appears that you originally made a two night reservation through Hotwire, but only one night’s room & tax were charged to your credit card, thus resulting in our hotel charging you for the second night. I understand that you have since spoken to A.J. our Front Office Manager and he refunded the second night and an additional $10 to compensation for currency conversion and bank fees as a gesture of goodwill. I apologize for the confusion and we look forward to your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel for four nights, visiting from out of town for a wedding. As a member of the bridal party I received a discounted rate, which is terrific. I do however have to admit that it felt as thought that is exactly the type of treatment I have received - discounted.

Upon check-in I had to stand in the lobby waiting for assistance while the woman at the counter fiddled with papers behind the desk. I was the only person in line! Finally, she looked up at me and said, "I will be right with you." I thought to myself "Wow! Those must be very important papers." After traveling for eight hours all I wanted to do was get to the room and rest. Finally, the woman asked me how she could help me. Hmm...the luggage and bags in hand might have been a clue! And when I asked her about various hotel amenities (e.g., dry cleaning and breakfast) she barely knew the answers. Exhausted, I decided to thank her and ask no further questions.

The room is generally well kept, except for the stained furniture and dirty beds. Both beds in my room had hairs in them and the sheets were definitely worn with stains. To avoid asking the front desk for assistance (based upon the prior experience) I pulled the covers off the bed and slept on the flat sheets. I cranked the heat up to stay warm and used my sweaters as a blanket. The next morning, I asked the front desk gentleman to have housekeeping COMPLETELY CHANGE the bedding on the bed, not just remake it. He wrote down a note, apologized profusely for the issues, and then promised to take care of the situation immediately. Upon inspection of the beds later that night I found that nothing had been changed at all. Hence, another night of high heat and sweater blankets!

A new day, a new attitude - not! Deciding to eat breakfast in the restaurant was a terrible choice. The waitress was the worst! When she took my order she was too busy to stand still, so I had to shout my order out loud while she wiped down the table nearby. Then, I watched as she served two other tables their drinks, before me --- and I arrived first! One of the tables included a family visiting the events manager to plan their upcoming wedding. I figured the waitress felt pressured to impress, but all I could think was, "Hello! I am here for a wedding too! What about my quality customer service?!" The food was less than desirable and the entire experience made me lose my appetite. In fact, I thought to myself, "I should just get a granola bar from the gift shop."

Overall, this was not a positive experience. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and perhaps because most of them were 5 star rated, I just have very high expectations. I will never, ever, ever stay at this hotel again! EVER!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank outoftowner2014
MichaelMarsch, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor comments! I am very disappointed that you had a less than satisfactory experience at our property. I have addressed each of your concerns with the respective departments and am confident that these issues will not happen in the future. Since our goal is to ensure that all of our guests are 100% satisfied with their experience, please reach out to me directly the next time you visit Rochester and I will personally ensure your expectations are exceeded.