“I will definitely return!”

The Ginger Cat Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Rock Stream B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 June 2014

It's been 6 years since my last visit to Watkins Glen. Last time I camped at Farm Sanctuary to attend their Country Hoe Down. While I am not vegan I have strived to transition to a vegetarian/pescatarian diet with some successes and failures. This trip was to celebrate my 1 year anniversary with my boyfriend. It was a lovely get-a-way from the hustle and bustle of NYC. Staying at the Ginger Cat and touring Farm Sanctuary a second time reminding me of the importance of choosing a plant based diet. Gita is a sweet and inspiring woman. Her home is beautiful, cozy, and comfortable. Breakfast on both mornings was delicious, and it interested my boyfriend to try more vegetarian and vegan meals. I also enjoyed spending time with Gita's cats. If only they were allowed to sleep with us in our room! ;)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle R
GingerCatBB, Owner at The Ginger Cat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Michelle - Thank you for your kind words. When I read your entry in the guest book, I was so touched that I might have had a hand in your on-going journey to 'veganhood'. It was a pleasure to meet you and your boyfriend and I'm glad that you both enjoyed your stay here. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Ginger Cat Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend and loved it. Gita is an amazing vegan cook. The breakfasts are awesome. We spent a morning at the nearby Farm Sanctuary and learned that her food is legendary! The room was charming, and I slept very well. Gita has been involved with the Farm Sanctuary for years and was absolutely fascinating on the subject. She is also a great guide to the many other attractions in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kim N
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was a lovely bed and breakfast near Watkins Glen and the Farm Sanctuary. A complete vegan breakfast was provided. The owner was very helpful in navigating the surrounding area for vegan dining. The room was clean and cheerful and the food was wonderful. Note that the bathroom is shared, but it appears to only be shared with one other room. It also did not appear to have internet access, but it was a nice peaceful retreat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mercurygirl30
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Our trip to the Farm Sanctuary and the Finger Lakes region around Watkins Glen was made more unique by our two-night stay at the Ginger Cat B&B. It was really interesting to meet and talk to other couples who share a vegan lifestyle and who chose the Ginger Cat B&B as part of their vacation. There are just two rooms at this B&B, so I found that sharing the bathroom was not a problem.

Gita is a lovely host and indulged our desire to play with her sweet and friendly cats on several occasions. The cats are kept in a separate part of the house, so even people with allergies should not be affected. The house is kept neat and clean at all times. I particularly loved looking at the many cat decorations, trinkets and tchotchkes throughout the home.

This was our first B&B experience, and overall was a very good one. I will point out that we stayed mid-week and -- based on some of the other reviews here -- the breakfasts were not what we expected. I knew we would not be getting the weekend vegan brunch, but I was looking forward to some hearty vegan breakfasts, like french toast or tofu scrambles. On both days we were served a vegan yoghurt and fruit parfait, some muffins and pastries and more fresh fruit. Everything was tasty, but I guess had hoped for something a little more elaborate.

There is a small refrigerator in the common area and we brought some vegan snacks with us for the evening, so we didn't go hungry. Gita provided a list of vegan-friendly restaurants in the area (there's even a place that serves vegan ice cream in Watkins Glen!), and we took advantage of that list.

The home is situated in the country on about 15 acres of land, so it was nice and quiet for sleeping. Overall a very enjoyable two days in the Finger Lakes region.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kamala_k
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Ginger Cat B&B in fall 2012. We came across it because the cabins at Farm Sanctuary were all booked up, and we needed a place located nearby. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise that FS was unavailable, because we were so happy to discover this place.

Gita is the most wonderful hostess you will ever meet: warm, friendly, and easy to talk to. If that's not reason enough to stay here, she is an AMAZING vegan cook who will serve you mouthwatering breakfasts all weekend. We started our day with waffles, quiche, granola parfaits, fresh fruit, coffee and tea. YUM. She also had a little snack waiting for us when we arrived, and we could help ourselves to tea anytime.

I could go on and on about this place, but bottom line, it is really the no-brainer place to stay if you plan to visit Farm Sanctuary, or even if you are just looking for a quiet getaway. Watkins Glen is an adorable small town with interesting shops and some of the most gorgeous waterfalls I have ever seen. And with FS being such a big tourist draw, many of the local eateries offer vegan options.

There were only two small things that kept our stay at Ginger Cat from being perfect (and neither of them would deter me from staying there again):

1. Unfortunately, our first night there, the guests staying in the second room had a baby who cried all night long. Not Gita's fault, of course, but we were considering canceling our second night because none of us could sleep. Fortunately the family checked out the next morning.

2. We were actually disappointed that the cats were kept in a separate part of the house! I understand not letting them in the kitchen for sanity reasons, but we would have had no problem with them sleeping on our beds at night. Gita says this is done to "prevent allergies," but frankly if you have allergies to animal hair, I'm guessing a cat B&B is not the place for you. We were happy that we got to spend some time playing with the kitties.

p.s. I highly recommend checking out the Ginger Cat Facebook page. Gita regularly posts updates and photos of her delicious meals, and if that doesn't make you want to go, nothing will! https://www.facebook.com/GingerCatBB?fref=ts

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amanda F
GingerCatBB, Owner at The Ginger Cat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thanks so much for the great review.

I'm sorry that the baby kept you awake the first night.

Re: not letting cats in the guests quarters. Believe it or not, I do have people who stay here who ARE allergic to cats! I try to keep the Ariel Room as allergy-free as possible since the Zachary Room is pet-friendly, although no cats have come along as travel companions so far.

Hope to see you on a return visit.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We loved The Ginger Cat. Gita is very kind and hospital. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The area is beautiful and close to Watkins Glen and Farm Sanctuary. We loved being able to hang out with the cats that she keeps separate from the guest area. Gita also makes an amazing vegan brunch. The only thing that kept if from being perfect is the fact that you have to share a bathroom with the other guests. If that changes in the future, I think the Ginger Cat would be ideal. I would definitely stay there again though.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 33VegTraveler
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Watkins Glen, NY has so much to offer! This was my 4th trip to the area and have stayed at the Ginger Cat B&B each time. When you find a home away from home (with much better food) you stick with it. It is conveniently located to Farm Sanctuary, wine country, Seneca Lake, state parks, an International Raceway, the Corning Glass Museum, and the National Museum of Play!
The owner of the Ginger Cat B&B, Gita, makes you feel welcome from the moment you arrive until you leave and she accommodates most dietary restrictions while doing so.
I am already planning my 5th trip to the area and hope to stay at the Ginger Cat B&B yet again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Golden Knight Inn and Suites
#1 of 2 in Rock Stream
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars
The Savannah House Inn

Been to The Ginger Cat Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!