“Owner wants you to have your own experience without interference”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rock Stream
The Cherry Orchard B&B
Ranked #3 of 3 Rock Stream B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Owner wants you to have your own experience without interference”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We arrived at Cherry Orchard and found an envelope at the door in the mailbox. We went up to our clean, spacious room, with our own bathroom. In the Finger Lakes, to get a room this clean, bright, secluded, and comfortable for this rate is virtually unheard of. True, there are other B&B's with "common areas" and "common toilets" for twice the price that can give you a more "cozy" feel, but it depends on what you are looking for. My husband and I wanted a romantic weekend. We didn't want to spend our time with other couples or the proprietor touring the rooms and getting to know each other.
From reading the other reviews about wine openers, the property sits about 100 feet away from a winery sales room where wine openers can be bought, or if you are so inclined, I am sure the owner of the winery ( who we found out lives on the premises) would most likely let you borrow one during your stay.
As far as shampoo and amenities are concerned, at this b&b rate, we did not expect little bottles of fancy shampoo. But we were AMAZED at the breakfast with fresh fruit, and variety of choices of food.
Vera, the proprietor did not interact with us at breakfast, but as I said, we prefer it that way, and to be honest, I would much rather her concentrate on her wonderful cooking.

It all depends on what experience you want. We know what we like and we were very satisfied.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms outside
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jovergor

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Cherry Orchard B&B this past week and had the most fantastic stay! The rooms were beautifully kept and the owner, Vera, prepared a delicious breakfast for us each morning. The atmosphere is relaxing and the property is located next door to a very nice, laid-back winery. We had a view of the pond from our room, and Vera told us that if we come back during the months of May/June, there are cherry blossoms on the property and farmers markets nearby. Our entire stay was quiet, comfortable, and peaceful.

I was compelled to write this review after reading the one star commentary. Vera was such a gracious host and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. Needless to say, the next time my husband and I want a quiet vacation, we will definitely be back to the Cherry Orchard!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank txkristyn
Oswego, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to celebrating our anniversary as we always do at a B&B in the Finger Lakes. We like to try new places so we decided to give the Cherry Orchard a try. I looked it up online and it sounded nice. I wish the website talked more about what amenities are offered as the proprietor did not inform us where the common room was or if there even was one. Every B&B that I have stayed at prior to this has a common room for guests and certain amenities that were not offered here.
As my husband and I pulled into the driveway of the Cherry Orchard and walked up to the house I see that there is an envelope sitting in the mailbox attached to the house. I take it and while my first name is correct (sort of, it was misspelled) the last name didn’t come close to mine. So we ring the doorbell to introduce ourselves and I hear “God Damn it don’t they see the envelope in the mailbox” along with more talking and muttering as she was on the phone. Once she answers the door and hangs up from her call she informs me that all of the information is in the note inside the envelope that we only come here (to the house) for breakfast. Oh ok. She does not delve into if there is a common area or a place for the guests to use oh say a wine opener, since we were in wine country. She doesn’t give us a tour of her place or explain anything, other than breakfast is served at 8:30 sharp and to call her if we weren’t going to make it. She didn’t even introduce herself! So my husband and I go out to find our room and it was nice enough, although to any of you reading this who might be a little heavy set the shower is extremely small. My husband and I are both slim and we still had to turn sideways to get through the shower door. We laughed about that. The room was ok, cleaned nice and it had a mini fridge for our use along with really nice glasses. For a B&B that is trying to make it work and knows that the room is a little in need of upgrading I would rely heavily in the amenities.
I absolutely love going to a B&B and seeing that they went the extra mile to see to my comfort. Don’t treat me like I am at a hotel; if I wanted to stay in a hotel and not speak to anyone then I would. I mean provide a basket in each room with a wine opener, shampoo and conditioner (trial size is fine), toothpaste…..stuff like that. Obviously the wine opener would stay in the room. But the amenities would make the room feel more warm and cozy, at least in my opinion. If the proprietor did not want to interact with her guests then provide as much as possible for them.
The breakfast the next morning was very good. very tasty. It was served by the housekeeper. Again, the proprietor did not come over and greet us and interact. Just sat over by the gorgeous windows and chatted with the housekeeper while we ate and visited with the other guests. Finally when we were all done we got up to leave, what else were we going to do. It just felt very awkward to me. I wanted to thank her for a great breakfast and get to know her, maybe at this time get a tour of the house? nope. She didn’t appear to want to offer her house up to her guests but more than willing to take our $150 a night.
No, we will not be back to Cherry Orchard Bed and Breakfast. Over the past 4 years my husband and I have stayed at several B&B’s and this is the only one I will never go back to and I will never recommend any of my friends and family here for a visit. There are many more B&B’s in the Finger Lakes area that charge this kind of money that are so much better in almost every way.

Room Tip: bring your own wine opener! And if you are looking to take advantage of the free wi-fi, maybe try to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cyraskye

Travellers are raving about these Rock Stream hotels

Reviewed 6 August 2013

By fiancé and I stayed for our 3 year anniversary. He and I usually stay at upscale hotels and wanted to do the B&B thing. I can honestly say that this stay here was perfect. Verna and her granddaughter were delightful and took note of my gluten free and dairy free needs. Breakfast was just perfect and she aimed to please.
The room was cleaned daily and ample towels.
No complaints!
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Mike G, Owner at The Cherry Orchard B&B, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
We want to thank you for choosing our Bed and Breakfast and for leaving a feedback.

It was real pleasure to learn that your stay with us was such a pleasant one. Your opinion, as every single guest, is very important to us and serves us as an advise, reward and motivation for the future. We would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your comments which allow us to confirm that our efforts for the well-being of our guests have been met.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us.We look forward to having you back in the future!

Mike Giasi
Owner
Dover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

07/19/13 - 07/21/13

My wife and I accompanied by another couple, took a long weekend trip to the Finger Lakes. The B&B was clean and very comfortable, it had a large common area and deck to relax and have a few glasses of wine. We also met another couple (the Floyds) who were staying there and had a very good time. Thanks to Vira and Lois for a great stay. Rooms were cleaned daily. Only problem was if more than one room was using the shower, you ran out of hot water and the water pressure was low. The breakfasts were outstanding. Other than that it was a very good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We were recently at the Finger Lakes & spent 2 nights here. The room was clean but the window air conditioning unit was extremely loud. The bathroom was clean but there was not much leg room between the vanity and the toilet. If you are 6 foot good luck! Vera was extremely nice as was the helper Lois. The rooms were clean & made each day. There was a mini fridge, table with 2 chairs & to dressers. The room had floor to ceiling windows but the view from our room was of the cherry trees and not the lake. The breakfast each morning was very good & there was plenty. Has WiFi service but the TV was a tiny little thing with a built in VCR player. New towels were given each day. The winery beside the house was for sale so the grounds were grown up. In all it was a good experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terri52011
WNY
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We just spend 5 days and 4 nights at Cherry Orchard B&B while participating in the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival weekend in Watkins Glen, NY. The B & B is just a quick 5 minutes outside of Watkins Glen, right along one of the main roads along Seneca Lake....numerouse wineries along the way. From the road the B & B is deceiving....simple house....no big sprawling white picket fence and porch to ooo and ahhh over....just a nice looking home....but wait until you take a look around back! Gorgeous deck and lots of widows overlooking the Seneca Lake hills. No you can't actually see the lake, but it's there. Beautiful sunrises, sunsets and moon! The room was just perfect...we stayed in the blue room. Private outside entrance on the upper level. There are 4 rooms total in this B & B. The eating and "social" area is just wonderful.....so homey and comfy! Breakfast every morning at 8:30 am....Vera is quite the cook! There was so much food!! Fruit, yogurt, cinnamon french toast, scrambled eggs, pancakes, homemade coffee cake, bagels, toast, sausage, juice, coffee....a little bit of everything every morning!!! We left stuffed!! The rooms are soooo clean thanks to Lois!! Large private bathroom! Our room had cathedral ceiling with lots of ceiling lights. We've already booked the same room for next year and would love to take others back with us! It would be a fantastic place to stay with a group and do the wineries! Check out their website for more pics! Oh and our room had a/c, a nice size mini fridge for our snacks, large armoire and dresser, 2 chairs and a little table to sit at. Only negs I can think of are - Wi Fi was weak and TV was only a 13 inch with VCR player, but that wasn't important to us. Overall Vera made us feel at home and we can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: 3 rooms each have own private outside entrances (2 up & 1 down) ; 4th room is a loft room inside...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#9 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to The Cherry Orchard B&B? Share your experiences!