“Just what we needed.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre
Oradell, NJ
“Just what we needed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Hampton Inn hotel was nicer than we expected. We came to Long Island for my mother's funeral and, upon seeing previous review, asked for a quiet room away from the train. The request was accommodated happily. I will say the rooms (we had two) both looked out onto the back of a King Kullen supermarket, but we weren't at this hotel for the view, we were here for the location and some peace and quiet. We arrived early (about noon) and the woman at the front desk was apologetic that our rooms were not ready and she made some calls and got them cleaned straight away. I was impressed! We sat in the nice cozy atrium lobby with the nice fountain and enjoyed a complimentary cup of coffee. Both rooms were EXTREMELY clean and well appointed. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms were clean. Fridge and coffee machine were also provided. The breakfast was nothing to write home about but did the trick, cereal, bagels etc. We wouldn't have wanted or needed anything more. Overall, this was my first trip to the Hampton Inn brand and I don't know why I had a bad impression of the brand. That impression has certainly been changed. I would visit again. Staff were friendly and competent, rooms were clean. I will agree with previous reviewers that it is not easy to get to using GPS but that wasn't too big a deal. I do think I would make sure to request rooms away from the train. Originally we wanted to book a suite but were told those all face the tracks and, during the day at least, trains ran about every 20 minutes. I don't think they were as frequent at night but couldn't tell because I was cozy and comfortable in the rooms we did have away from the tracks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed over night for the first time at this hotel. I am very impressed with the cleanliness & comfort that they provide. I vist this area on business often and this will be where I stay for now on without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in the Hampton on business for 3 nights in September and found the Hotel very fresh clean and the staff more than helpful. The ladies on the front counter were bright and bubbly and provided great information. The rooms are a good size with plenty of room for couch and arm chair small kitchenette. Felt very spacious
Rockville Centre is out past JFK, a very comfortable safe 30 min train ride to Penn Station
on Manhattan which is 3 blocks from Empire state bld. Rockville station is 5-10 minute walk about 4 blocks.We felt very safe to walk out and about at night In Rockville center indeed everyone we asked said of course it is safe...There are 20 or so restaurants of every description within a 5 minute walk of hotel. The hotel will give you a list of 14 or so good ones with walking instructions...

Only downside to Hotel is railway line which runs about 20 mtrs from the eastern side. If your room is on that side you will hear the rumble of the train but it is not overly loud. It didnt wake me up and was infrequent at night. All in All I would stay here again and will consider this
Rockville center as base for New York Stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to west side would be quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Hampton for a wedding weekend and were pleasantly surprised at how attractive this hotel is, and how well it is run.

This is a newer Hampton, designed in an atrium style I hadn't previously seen in Hampton Inns. I usually associate atriums with another member of the Hilton family, the Embassy Suites. But in the case of the Embassy, the atrium is usually big enough to be an echo-filled, dark (at night) space that can seem cold rather than welcoming. In contrast, the atrium at this Hampton Inn is smaller-scale and very comfortable. It includes a splashing fountain that is more ornate than my taste normally runs but it sounds very cheerful. There are only 4 floors of guest rooms, so the atrium feels well-proportioned and relaxing rather than cavernous. In addition to the breakfast tables at the base of the atrium, there are clusters of sofas and chairs used frequently by guests. Above the ground floor, each guest room floor includes a small but pleasant sitting area between the two elevators.

In our case, check-in went smoothly and our room was spotlessly clean. The front desk personnel helped us to find a restaurant within walking distance (Greek Town, which I liked). The hotel's convenient location is next to a grocery store and near a number of restaurants. By 6 p.m. there were warm and yummy chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. I found the complementary breakfast to be filling, especially the hot items such as scrambled eggs and sausage.

Our room faced east and looked out over the roof of the grocery store next door and the Long Island Railway tracks. While we could hear the low rumble of trains going past, they were not very loud and didn't disturb us at all.

The wireless signal didn't reach to the desk in our room, although it did reach to the area near the door. The room included wired internet at the desk.

Although I normally stay at the more full-service Hiltons or Homewood Suites, I was very pleased with our stay at this Hampton Inn and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railroad if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
NY, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

yes, a bit hard to find (even with navigation) but not impossible. Hotel service was very quick and friendly. Hotel was CLEAN and on the newer or recently renovated side. We were on the first floor and even though there is a center meeting area it wasn't loud. I'd go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed at this hotel for one night for wedding I was attending in Island Park. It wasn't cheap, but nothing is in New York. Front desk was polite and helpful upon check-in. Standard room included a microwave and refrigerator, which was a nice touch. Decent breakfast in hotel lobby which was free btw 6am-10am. The hotel was semi difficult to find especially If using a gps. Only stayed one night but overall no complaints at all.

• Stayed July 2011
La Jolla, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I recently spent one night in Rockville Centre to connect with old school friends and take a trip down memory lane. We were coming from top notch hotels in New York City. The Hampton Inn was the most pleasant surprise! The reception and check inn was friendly and professional. Our room was quiet, very clean and comfortable. (We did ask to be put in a room away from the train tracks.) They offered 24 hour coffee, drink, snack service for free and a great breakfast to boot which was included in the price of the room. We loved it and wished that our VERY expensive hotels in NYC were 1/2 as clean and comfortable!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be put in the area away from the Long Isl!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Long Beach
Hampton Inn Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre? Share your experiences!