“Newer property with friendly staff”

Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre
NJ
“Newer property with friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

A clean and newer hotel with a friendly staff. Not cheap but no hotel on Long Island is. Breakfast is adequate (nothing to brag about).

Room Tip: Try to avoid rail road side
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

We stayed here Fri-Mon around the holidays for a family visit. The hotel is difficult to find as its on Merrick Road but where the road splits. If coming east on Merrick, pass the hotel (your GPS will say its on the left and you can't see it)...then turn onto Sunrise Highway going West...there is an exit for Merrick Road that you take and you will see the Hampton Inn on the right side. Either that or take Village Ave to Sunrise Highway...make a right on Sunrise and take the Merrick road exit on the right. Lighted parking is provided in front.

The hotel is very nice and clean. Beds were comfortable (we had two beds) The rooms are a nice size with a large 42" LG TV, desk area with wired internet (more on that later), chair and ottoman, and plenty of drawer space. The bathroom is a nice size with a hair dryer. The hotel is arranged in a square around an open area that has the complimentary breakfast. Each morning from 6-10am they had a few hot items (always an egg, meat (sausage/ bacon), and carb (potatoes/french toast sticks.) I really didn't think the hot items were hot (I ate at 6:15am and 9am) and after a small bite, didn't eat it. There was three different kinds of cereal, variety of bagels/breads, 4 juices, several flavors of coffee, fresh fruit, self serve waffle irons, and yogurt. After two days we did go to a diner the third morning as its mostly carb based and I needed some protein. All in all, the area is clean and for no extra cost, its nice to have a bagel and coffee/fruit.

Their was a workout room in the lower level which had a pair of ellipticals, bikes, and treadmills. There were some dumbbells going up to 40 or 50 lbs and two TV's in the gym. The ellipticals worked fine when I used them.

Lastly, I would rate this Hampton Inn 5 stars but the internet is very slow. I am a technical person in the IT field and regardless if I connected at 6am, 9am, 5pm, or 11pm, it was very slow. This was the same poor performance with the wired internet to my laptop in my room and wifi with my tablet. The wifi did not reach our room located on the third floor (maybe people on the first floor can pick it up) Even in the breakfast area with the chairs, the wifi was very slow. This was on a weekend without business people so I am unsure if the speed is worse with business people doing work (or could be better when families are not there). I could connect faster tethered to my phone.

Outside of wifi/internet, its a nice clean hotel that if you can stand the internet being slow, is a good choice in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank stevesul
Oradell, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Hampton Inn hotel was nicer than we expected. We came to Long Island for my mother's funeral and, upon seeing previous review, asked for a quiet room away from the train. The request was accommodated happily. I will say the rooms (we had two) both looked out onto the back of a King Kullen supermarket, but we weren't at this hotel for the view, we were here for the location and some peace and quiet. We arrived early (about noon) and the woman at the front desk was apologetic that our rooms were not ready and she made some calls and got them cleaned straight away. I was impressed! We sat in the nice cozy atrium lobby with the nice fountain and enjoyed a complimentary cup of coffee. Both rooms were EXTREMELY clean and well appointed. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms were clean. Fridge and coffee machine were also provided. The breakfast was nothing to write home about but did the trick, cereal, bagels etc. We wouldn't have wanted or needed anything more. Overall, this was my first trip to the Hampton Inn brand and I don't know why I had a bad impression of the brand. That impression has certainly been changed. I would visit again. Staff were friendly and competent, rooms were clean. I will agree with previous reviewers that it is not easy to get to using GPS but that wasn't too big a deal. I do think I would make sure to request rooms away from the train. Originally we wanted to book a suite but were told those all face the tracks and, during the day at least, trains ran about every 20 minutes. I don't think they were as frequent at night but couldn't tell because I was cozy and comfortable in the rooms we did have away from the tracks.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Wake Forest, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed over night for the first time at this hotel. I am very impressed with the cleanliness & comfort that they provide. I vist this area on business often and this will be where I stay for now on without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed in the Hampton on business for 3 nights in September and found the Hotel very fresh clean and the staff more than helpful. The ladies on the front counter were bright and bubbly and provided great information. The rooms are a good size with plenty of room for couch and arm chair small kitchenette. Felt very spacious
Rockville Centre is out past JFK, a very comfortable safe 30 min train ride to Penn Station
on Manhattan which is 3 blocks from Empire state bld. Rockville station is 5-10 minute walk about 4 blocks.We felt very safe to walk out and about at night In Rockville center indeed everyone we asked said of course it is safe...There are 20 or so restaurants of every description within a 5 minute walk of hotel. The hotel will give you a list of 14 or so good ones with walking instructions...

Only downside to Hotel is railway line which runs about 20 mtrs from the eastern side. If your room is on that side you will hear the rumble of the train but it is not overly loud. It didnt wake me up and was infrequent at night. All in All I would stay here again and will consider this
Rockville center as base for New York Stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to west side would be quieter
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed at the Hampton for a wedding weekend and were pleasantly surprised at how attractive this hotel is, and how well it is run.

This is a newer Hampton, designed in an atrium style I hadn't previously seen in Hampton Inns. I usually associate atriums with another member of the Hilton family, the Embassy Suites. But in the case of the Embassy, the atrium is usually big enough to be an echo-filled, dark (at night) space that can seem cold rather than welcoming. In contrast, the atrium at this Hampton Inn is smaller-scale and very comfortable. It includes a splashing fountain that is more ornate than my taste normally runs but it sounds very cheerful. There are only 4 floors of guest rooms, so the atrium feels well-proportioned and relaxing rather than cavernous. In addition to the breakfast tables at the base of the atrium, there are clusters of sofas and chairs used frequently by guests. Above the ground floor, each guest room floor includes a small but pleasant sitting area between the two elevators.

In our case, check-in went smoothly and our room was spotlessly clean. The front desk personnel helped us to find a restaurant within walking distance (Greek Town, which I liked). The hotel's convenient location is next to a grocery store and near a number of restaurants. By 6 p.m. there were warm and yummy chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. I found the complementary breakfast to be filling, especially the hot items such as scrambled eggs and sausage.

Our room faced east and looked out over the roof of the grocery store next door and the Long Island Railway tracks. While we could hear the low rumble of trains going past, they were not very loud and didn't disturb us at all.

The wireless signal didn't reach to the desk in our room, although it did reach to the area near the door. The room included wired internet at the desk.

Although I normally stay at the more full-service Hiltons or Homewood Suites, I was very pleased with our stay at this Hampton Inn and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the railroad if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
NY, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

yes, a bit hard to find (even with navigation) but not impossible. Hotel service was very quick and friendly. Hotel was CLEAN and on the newer or recently renovated side. We were on the first floor and even though there is a center meeting area it wasn't loud. I'd go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Long Beach
Hampton Inn Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
#2 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Rockville Centre? Share your experiences!