“Memories - from 1951 and later in 2010! !”
Review of Sampson State Park

Sampson State Park
Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in Romulus
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

[[Advisors Please Note: I did not answer some of the earlier TA questions, because my visit was much earlier and I could not truthfully answer them, but felt my comments would be of confirming and thoughtful interest to travellers]]....
After some delays until I was able to update my advisory self reading your first few 2013 reviews took most of the words out of my mouth. They were accurate and memorable. All that was missing was the color! ... the color when the seasons are in full swing. That has to be seen ... words escape me trying to do justice and adequately describe Mother Nature's display ... pictures do not do it justice ... One has to physically be there - - in the moment, for all your senses to absorb her works - - unbelievable. Of course, my first acquaintance with Sampson in 1951, demanded my full attention. Yet I had fond memories of earlier trips along the Mohawk Trail and promised myself (hopefully at that time) to revisit this beautiful area.

All reviews
"privacy"
"field"
"weekends"

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Sampson Military Museum is on the grounds of Sampson State Park. This Naval Training Station was established in 1942 with the purpose of training young men for service in the Navy during WWII. During the Korean War, it was a training station for those entering the Air Force. The museum is in an original brick building--the brig and stockade-- that houses a collection of memorabilia, photos, uniforms, etc. It tells the story of the hundreds of thousands of young men that went through their basic training at this location. This Naval Museum was created by thousands of Naval WWII veterans, and the Air Force Museum was created in 1997 by the Sampson Air Force Veterans. This museum is a tribute to those who served and wanted to preserve the important history of its location for generations to come.

1  Thank Candy M
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a New York State park and it offers a variety of amenities to enjoy. It is situated on rolling hills and it great for walking, fishing and camping. There is a boat launch area and plenty of picnic tables and grills to use. It has mature shade trees and a beautiful view overlooking Seneca Lake. There are wineries within minutes of the park for venturing out on side trips. A nice spot to enjoy for the day or longer for camping!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This was our fist stay at Sampson's. We actually stayed at Letchworth State Park, which we love, and then spent 4 days at Sampson's. The park is great. Very clean. Very well maintained. Nice swimming beach, a bit small, but there were never any crowds there. They have a good size marina to lounch your craft from. Very nice tennis courts. Picnic tables galore!!

There is a nice military museum on site. We didn]t get to go to it because it is closed Monday - Wednesday when we were there. I believe the hours are 10-5.

There are plenty of camping sites to choose from. Loop 5 is closest to the water, but also tends to be the most crowded because of that. We stayed on loope 1 at site 66. It was great because there was no one in the 4 sites on either side of us. This secion backs up to a field, which did make it more private. Loop 3 and 4 backup to the playground.

We have a 25 foot trailer and had plenty of room in tis sie. Many of the other sites would have been to tight. The electric hook-up was setup so that the hookup is in-between your site and the next site. Both hook-ups for both sites are together. One behind the other. This makes if impossible to run your electric unless your cord is long enough. Luckly our cable just made it.

There are water fountains with a spicket in the middle or infield area of the circule. However, the best thing to do is to fill your potable water at the filling station, which just happens to be at the dumping station...................I had the same thoughts, but it was fine. Get your water before you get to your site. We saw a lot of people that had 2 or more sites for family and friends and put their trailers almost right next to each other.

Overall, we will stay there again, but the sites are a bit to close together for us. If you want to visit wineries, this is a perfect jumping off point. You can hit them all!!!! We ended up at quite a few over 2 days.

Very pleasant and nice staff. Clean bathrooms and showers. Although there appears to be only one shower for each loop. One for male and one for female.

Beutiful sunsets at the beach!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked a campsite in loop 5 (closest to the lake) for 3 nights. However, due to the on and off rain we asked the office if there were any cabins available. The staff was very friendly and immediately gave us Cabin #7. It was perfect with a view of Seneca Lake. I would recommend renting Cabin #1 if possible because it has the best view of the lake. The campground is immaculate. The staff keep this place extremely clean. The bathrooms were spotless. There is a swimming area and a huge playground area. The concession stand had great food and had camping supplies stocked. It was so nice to wake up in the morning and walk down to the lake. The college was only 15 minutes away, so this was a perfect place to stay. I will definitely go back and stay again!!!