“Amazing service, went above and beyond to make things work for my family!”

Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ronkonkoma
Hauppauge, New York
“Amazing service, went above and beyond to make things work for my family!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I just wanted to let you know what an amazing experience my family had at the Courtyard Marriott/Long Island Macarthur Airport. Your staff restored my faith in Marriott Hotels after another experience at a different Long Island Marriott had quickly destroyed it.

I am a Marriott Rewards member, as well as a Marriott Visa customer, and I have been for years. I have been using my Marriott Visa card exclusively for years now, and I had a free night certificate that I wanted to use. During the December break this year, we decided to do a quick 'staycation' with our kids. I have a child who has special needs, and being stuck inside for the whole week is difficult for him. We were looking for a Marriott not too far from home that had an indoor pool.

We decided on the Marriott in Holtsville, since it wasn't too far from a small museum we'd hoped to visit the next day. When making my reservation with the Holtsville Marriott, I specifically called them to ask the hours of the pool, and indicated that we were only coming from Hauppauge for a fun night away to swim in the indoor pool. They assured me the pool was open and we made our reservation.

When we arrived there, we checked in, changed, hung out in the room for a bit. When we went down to the pool about an hour later, it was freezing. Not only did the pool not have any heat at all, but neither did the entire room the pool was in! At best, the room was 60 degrees. The pool was colder. My boys could barely put their feet in and everyone was upset. There weren't even chairs or towels in the pool room either. It was cold and icky and our little staycation was about to be ruined. The only reason we came was for my pool loving boys to take a swim.

I had to figure something out, and quickly. I went to the lobby, went online, and called your hotel (twice) to ask very specific questions about the pool. The two people I spoke to were very nice and answered all of my questions. As quickly as we could, we changed, repacked, and headed over to your hotel.

This review could easily be about all of the issues with the other hotel, how they never told us the pool was really not usable, how they wasted our time, how we lost 3 hours of our very short 'staycation,' how disappointed my kids were, or how difficult the whole transition etc was for my son with special needs. But it is not. Instead, this letter is about how AMAZING your staff was, how they turned things around for us, how instead of this being a bad memory for all, it turned in to the coolest overnight trip that they still talk about.

When we arrived at your hotel, I was defintely frazzled and upset, and I'm sure rambling about what happened to us at the other hotel. We had reserved a suite at the other hotel (my son really needs a lot of space, as he is VERY active and struggles in small hotel rooms), we had also lost out on a lot of time, and our other reservation was to include breakfast. I asked if they could upgrade our standard room to anything a little bigger, and they said they'd try. They also kindly gave us a voucher for breakfast, and told me where the dryers were so that I could dry my kids frozen bathing suits. They gave me our keys and up we went.

When we got to our room we were shocked! It was an amazing suite with a full kitchen, space to eat, watch tv, and spread out. My boys were so excited and happy! We dried their suits, bought some dinner at your cafe, and afterwards went in the pool. Which, by the way, was clean, and warm, and had plenty of chairs and towels.

My family had such a fun time, and the mess at the other hotel quickly became a memory of a crazy experience that turned in to something wonderful. Your staff was also kind enough to offer us a 2pm check out, which made up for the time we lost during the part 1 fiasco in Holtsville. My boys were able to swim again after breakfast, which they loved.

I have since highly recommended your hotel to many others. While I did not share our entire story with them, I did say what a great pool you had, great cafe, great staff, and all around wonderful accommodations. Thank you for having such wonderful service at your hotel on December 29, 2013. And although you were not there that day, I know that your role as the manager is behind why the staff and place were running so well.

Although I don't remember the name of the women working that day, if there is a way for you to look up who was there, please send them my sincerest thanks. It is because of them that the Marriott has kept my business, and that I will especially make sure to visit your hotel again in the future.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lumardi
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Lumardi,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for the Courtyard by Marriott at Long Island MacArthur Airport. The staff and I were very excited to see that we had restored your faith in Marriott hotels with your recent weekend family getaway. If there is anything I can do to assist you in future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Once again we thank you for kind words and look forward to seeing you again.

Sincerrely,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Boyce, VA
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at this Courtyard for nine nights while traveling for business. Well appointed rooms and a decent fitness area. Easy walk to Red Lobster or Smokey Bones for a drink or quick bite to eat. The staff was always friendly and eager to help. They also did well clearing parking lot and sidewalks from the two snowstorms that hit during my stay. A big shout out to housekeeping -- very nice to return to room after work to find everything clean, fresh, and in order.

Room Tip: Ask for a South facing room. The rooms are fairly sound proof but at times North facing rooms can h...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank boycebrent
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Boycebrent,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the Courtyard, Long Island. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay even though the weather was less than favorable, and the the staff provided you with excellent service. If you are ever in the area again, please contact me personally to assist you with booking your accomodations. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff.

Assistant General Manager
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel over the past weekend. Went with my little friend specifically to swim in the pool and have a little girl time. The pool was great and the perfect temp. The hot tub was even better. The waitresses in the bistro made us feel so special. They were very attentive and made a great Shirley temple. All the front end staff was very helpful and the room was great. Much larger than expected. I would without a doubt return to this hotel. The beds were so comfortable we stayed in a watched movies all morning. The check out was not until 12:00 so it made it feel like a great mini vacation even if it was just a quick overnight.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Michelle E,
On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank youfor writting such a wonderful review about the Courtyard by Marriott in Ronkonkoma, NY. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselfs while taking a little mini vacation. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our staff and if you are ever in the area again, please stop by to say hello. I would like to thank you in person.

Glen Cove, New York, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

there just isn't any real words i can use to express how great the this hotel is-- This particular hotel is my home away from home-- I know the entrie staff by name, and they know me by name. The staff has become the family I am proud to call family!!
Of all the questions I ask them and of all the answers they give me- the best answer came on a holiday weekend--- As I was finishing up my holiday weekend, and heading back to my corner of Long Island, I was left nearly in tears and unable to finish my journey-- when i called the hotel back and asked if they had room for me-- I heard the magic words, "YES, WE HAVE ROOM FOR YOU!" The staff, Brain, Collette, and Alana, went out of the their way to accomodate my last minute stay. I was given tissues, hugs and told i was safe and i didn't need to worry. Brian was kind enough to bring me a cup of tea and sit with me until my room was ready, as did Coletter and Alana sat with me and made me feel so much better. It's hard enough to be alone on a holiday, but this year It took a last minute change to make me realize what family is all about, being there when you need them-- and that't exactly what this staff did for me! They treated me like family-- I am ever so thankful for it!!
you cant put a price on that!! 5 stars does nt do this staff and hotel justice!!!

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room in this hotel!! EVER!! I have slept in just about every room!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Dawn M,
Wanted to say "THANK YOU" to one our favorite guests at the Courtyard for taking the time to write another wonderful review. I'm sure that I will see you when you arrive next time so that I can thank you in person. Have a Happy New Year!!!

Brian and the Entire Staff :)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Clean, large rooms, nice lobby, and dinner options in the parking lot of the hotel which is convenient. Only item...if you have verizon service, the service is VERY spotty in the lobby. Seems fine in the rooms. Otherwise, no issues to mention.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
To Myexperiencematt...,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a responce on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to make sure that everyone has a memorable stay and overall, it looks as though we had succeeded in making this happen for you. We look forward to having you back as our guest and if there is anything I can to assist you in booking your next stay, please call me at the property directly and I will assist you personally.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night in August. At 9, we went to put our child to bed and found a half smoked joint and rolling papers in the bed. We called the front desk and they moved us to another room. It was a suite. It was late, and out child was confused and tired - so we moved. The front desk also offered us free breakfast at the Starbucks/takeout place in the lobby in the morning.

We did not call the police, but we did ask to speak to the manager in the morning. The asst manager wouldn't even apologize and they didn't take anything off our bill. We wrote to corporate Marriott and the referred us to the manager of this property. We wrote to the manager and he never responded. Luckily, corporate Marriott was following this too - and they forced him to respond to us. We just wanted a refund. We weren't looking for extra compensation...nothing. He said no because we ate the breakfast and moved to another room. That was our compensation. oh, and 5000 marriott points to stay quiet. He said because we moved to the larger room and ate the breakfast in the faux Starbucks - that was it.

I should have called the Suffolk county police at that point and had the hotel investigated because I bet this isn't a one time thing. It is disgusting that they didn't change the bed sheets and that we had to explain this to a young child.

I will NEVER stay in another Marriott or Courtyard. For $169 - Marriott should have just refunded the money. My child got a quick lesson and we stayed in a filthy hotel with staff that isn't doing their job.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pickymom66
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Pickymom66,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We thank you for expressing your concerns with us. We sincerely regret any inconveniences you experienced due to the cleanliness of the accommodations you were given. We do have an ongoing inspection process to continually re-energize and re-inspect our rooms for quality concerns. We apologize this had not been reflected in the room you received. We do feel that an upgrade to our largest suite, breakfast for 5 and 5000 Marriott Reward points were more value than the cost of the room itself. We hope that you will give us a chance in the future to show you what a wonderful property this is. If you do, please contact me personally to assist with the arrangements and I will make sure your stay becomes a special memory.

Brian J. Mauro

To All Reading this Review and responce. As a Hospitality Professional for over 20 years, I have worked in many properties from 3 star to 5 star. Our room attendants and supervisors work extrememly hard as did all the other housekeeping staff members I've worked with in the past. I did a search on TripAdvisor and there are over 100 pages of reviews from NY to California (Covering all Brands - Hilton, Hyatt, Sheraton, and several upscale Vegas Properties) of hotels that have found illegial substances in the rooms. It is hard not to want to judge a property harshly when something like this happens (especially when children are involved) but it did happen here and we accept the responsibility but be assured, we recieve hundreds of surveys a year and our Courtyard is in the top percent of all Courtyards for Overall Satisfaction. We acted and responded swiftly and we did it with a smile!!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I do a lot of traveling for business, and I'm accustomed to pleasant, though impersonal service, whether at a chain hotel or a luxury resort for vacation. What really surprised me and stuck with me about my stay at the Courtyard in Ronkonkoma was I felt I was getting the service of a luxury resort at a chain hotel.

Every interaction I had with a staff member began and ended with them using my name, they always went over and above to ensure I had what I needed, including shuttle service to work in the morning and from and to transportation on arrival and departure. You can tell whoever is managing this property truly values a personal touch, and it shows.

My only complaint is one that is consistent throughout Courtyards, which is that their food offerings lack vegetarian options.

But this property is far and away the most welcoming of any chain hotel I have stayed at. Felt most welcomed and taken care of, can't say enough good things about it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Brian M, Manager at Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
To OneNerdyTraveler,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure to share this review with the staff. I will also present this to our Food and Beverage Manager so that we may be able to assist travelers with special dietary needs. If you are ever in the area again and needs assistance, please contact me at the hotel directly and I will personally assist. Again, we thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott in Ronkonkoma, NY.

Brian J. Mauro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ronkonkoma
Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Residence Inn Long Island Holtsville
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven

Been to Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport? Share your experiences!