“Amazing hotel, wonderful staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ronkonkoma
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have stayed at the Ronkonkoma HGI at least once a year, on business from the UK, since 2007. Each and every time I would rate my stay as being 100% and struggle to think of any remotely sub-par experiences. The highlights of my stays over the years have been:

- excellent food/bar area. great atmosphere, friendly (but not over-bearing) staff
- great breakfast options, again waiting staff are brilliant
- reception team are efficient, friendly and 100% helpful. On one occasion my girlfriend was with me for two days. She had to get to the railroad station during the day, whilst I was at work. Unfortunately the bus driver wasn't at work that day so the hotel PAID for my girlfriend's taxi to the LIRR station. You simply do not get this at other hotels
- complimentary coffee, cookies in the morning/afternoon are a really nice touch
- rooms are homely and comfortable, the beds are excellent
- good proximity to Applebees and other resturants
- business centre is excellent and very useful

I've stayed in much more "upmarket" hotels than this, but the HGI in Ronkonkoma/Islip is my favourite hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 May 2012

If you look back at my reviews, you'll find that HGI and Embassy Suites are my hotels of choice when I travel. I've enjoyed lots of HGI's, mostly because the staff so exceptionally well trained and friendly. This location seems to bring all the elements together, and deserves an "exceptional" nod from me.

Every HGI I've stayed in is similar. Basic room, but with excellent amenities. The fancy 'sleep system' bed always pleases, and ensures an excellent rest. They usually have an indoor pool and hot tub for relaxation, and a 24 hour business center that is in good repair, and ready to print boarding passes and what not (at no extra charge). They usually have a small restaurant that has a cooked to order breakfast (not included, but usually tasty). The internet is free, and usually works.

The staff is always what makes the difference, and here on Long Island, they are certainly up to the task. When I arrived at the hotel, I realized how close I was to the airport, and asked for a top floor rear room hoping for a view of the airport at night. From past experience, I know that they probably had a room prepared in my name, with my free bottled waters already waiting in the room. With the change (handled in seconds) they gave me my choice, and a second staff member magically knew that the change meant my room wouldn't be "ready" with the letter from the manager and the bottled water. As I was handed my keys, the other staffer handed me my 'chilled' water. Not out of a case below, but already cold.

Let's move on to comparisons with previous stays. If you were to look back at previous HGI stay's you would see that I'm pretty high on the brand. There have been some curious housekeeping oversights that had me wondering if they were policy (leave the ironing board/iron out... don't empty long forgotten cocktail glasses). This location doesn't subscribe to those curiousities, and instead left my room spotless every day. Let's carry that further to every inch of the hotel. The only flaw I have spotted so far was some ugly scratches on the elevator doors that I would bet was a design flaw of some sort.

Well done on keeping the place looking fresh and new, one of the primary reasons that HGI ends up being a primary choice for me.

Room selection? I'd vote for the south side (facing the highway), but neither are more interesting. I would vote for something in the middle of a hallway, as my room (455) near the end found the adjacent fire stairwell curiously noisy. My room was average, which was better than the accessible room I had last time that seemed a bit empty.

Literally zero complaints otherwise, and that is the reason that I consistently pay as much as double the going rate for Hilton quality. Thanks for a job well done.

Room Tip: South side, not on the ends if you can. Avoid the last rooms (455 for one) due to stairwell noise...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel during a 7 day family trip to Long Island. Can't say enough good things about the hotel! Everything was great....the business center, restaurant, front desk staff, central location, very clean, etc. I highly recommend the buffet breakfast. Great price and selection! Overall, terrific experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Our room was clean and spacious. The business center open 24hrs saved me. I was able to complete hand outs for an event early the next morning with out any problems. The staff was pleasant and attentive. The cookies were great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
HGIIslip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write a review for our property. We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for noticing the staff’s effort to ensure you remember your visit with us. We look forward to your next visit with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Islip.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I love Hilton Garden Inn as a brand. They are consistent in their appearance and the staff is almost always helpful. This particular property near Islip had just seen a fair share of weddings and bar mitzvahs when I checked in, yet the staff was perky and eager to assist. Check-in was quick and easy, the room was the same as all HGI properties, the breakfast quick and easy.

I have no complaints about this hotel. It would get a five rating from me if it had more pizzazz, but for a business traveler like myself, it is perfect.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators if possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2012

It was very disappointing to return to this hotel to see that the new renovations made the dining area look more like a cafeteria. This HGI used to be different from most........the dining room was cozy, with big booths, "dinner type" lighting and freindly staff. That inviting atmosphere encouraged travelers to stay in for dinner rather than venture out. This time, after a long day of travel, I walked in to see a bright dining room, with closely placed tables. Not very inviting. The other disappointment was the fitness area....... 3 total pieces of cardio equipment, a few few weight balls, floor mat and a note stating if you want more, they have a partnership with a local gym. Next time in that area, not sure if I'll use this HGI as my "home away from home".

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
HGIIslip, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. In our attempt to bring a fresh, new look to our hotel, we made choices we thought would appeal to the majority of our guests. In fact, we’ve had very positive feedback in regards to our new modern features, amenities and high-tech services. I do apologize if you felt the renovations didn’t meet your specific needs but would enjoy another opportunity to provide that “at home” feeling we’re known for. Please do give us another chance when you return in market. Thank you!!!

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have stayed here for work several times. Nice place. No complaints.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ronkonkoma
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Jake's 58 Hotel & Casino
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport? Share your experiences!