“Nice hotel with a few issues that can be fixed”

Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ronkonkoma
Gansevoort, New York
“Nice hotel with a few issues that can be fixed”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I recently stayed here for 8 nights on a business trip to the area. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. All were great, but Ali, Tom and Matt were exceptional.
My room on the 4th floor was very nice and I had no issues with comfort, cleanliness or amenities. I thought it a little odd the maids left their carts in the hallways at all times of day and night which cluttered the halls a bit but otherwise no complaints about the appearance or upkeep of this nice hotel.
Unfortunately the pool was closed the entire week I was here as they were filling the hot tub in with concrete and re-tiling over it since they are unable to comply with new laws that require them to make the hot tub handicap accessible with a hydraulic lift like they did for the pool itself. There just isn't enough room to add that feature to the hot tub so we all lose out as they had to close it permanently. I wish that situation had been made clearer to the staff as I asked about the pool each day and was told it was expected to open the next day. .....with the same answer every day all week. Hmmmm I finally got the real story from the Hotel Manager and Customer Relations Manager when I ran into them at the bar across the street one night. They were both outstanding to talk to and genuinely seemed interested in addressing any issues I had and even though this was well outside business hours, they still cared what their guests had to say.

The breakfast buffet in the mornings is fairly well stocked and for around $15 you can get pretty much all of the normal food items you'd expect from an American hotel including eggs cooked to order. Service in this area was hit and miss though. One day there was staff that took your order and brought it to you and another day while I was sitting there waiting for service, I was told I had to go get it myself. Ok, no problem, just a little consistency would be nice....either way. One day there was no breakfast service at all since apparently there weren't enough guests to justify opening it. A side trip to Starbucks before work served me well that day. Most days though the hotel had a good crowd and breakfast service went smoothly.
The bar is pretty small for the crowd they often get and it closes at 10pm. ....even though there was still a paying crowd that wanted to drink while watching the Stanley Cup final, the bartender closed the bar and left promptly at 10. A little flexibility there would have been nice. The food was good but the menu rather limited which caused me to only eat there 2 of the 8 nights I was staying in town. Fortunately there is a great Italian restaurant, Mama Mias, across the street that is a short walk across the parking lot and I had a few excellent meals there.

I had no issues with my key card working to let me in any of the exterior hotel doors after hours as some other reviews have mentioned. Perhaps that has been addressed and fixed.

Overall, my experience here at the hotel was very good and only had a terrible experience one night due to drunken wedding guests and a baseball team staying on the 4th floor making considerable noise at various times of the night. Unfortunately for me, the adjacent room to mine even broke out into a domestic dispute that spilled out into the hallway in the middle of the night and police had to come. I called the front desk when this all started and they were doing their best to manage the ugly situations but there just wasn't enough staff to handle all the drunk loud guests. Maybe they should add additional staff when they know they are going to have a full hotel of late night wedding guests that are prone to being noisy. I've been on the other side of that situation and understand completely but for a business guest that has to get up early the next morning for work, it's not pleasant. If that had been the only night I had stayed at the hotel, my rating would have been quite different and I probably wouldn't be returning. Since the rest of my experience was peaceful and without serious issue, I do plan to stay here again when I'm back in town on business in the future.
Truly, had I not run into the management staff at the bar across the street and the way they handled my concerns, my rating would be a little lower, but they salvaged my opinion and I believe they were going to address the issues I experienced.

Room Tip: A 4th Floor end room would be the best choice for a quiet stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
halifax, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Spent a pleasant Sunday evening on Long Island at the Hilton Garden Inn. Very large facility for a Garden Inn but still had that comfortable, neighborly feel. Clean & well equipped room, great breakfast and pleasant, friendly staff!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Centereach, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Excellent check in and most important very clean. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was very clean. By fiance has left hotels when the room or bathroom was up to snuff but she was very satisfied. I would recommend this hotel and location to anybody coming to Long Island.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Floral Park, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2013

friends had everyone coming for their wedding stay at this hotel. it was very nice and I would def stay their again. I didn't use the indoor pool, but i'm told by friends that it was very nice. they kept the lobby bar open late for us so we could all hang out after the wedding which was really great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Sicklerville, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The bathroom was disgusting. While someone else was running the shower in the room next door dirty grimey water started to back flow immediately in to our tub. We tried running out water and nothing would drain. The hotel did not exchange rooms for us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Dawn D
chandler, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Had a short weekend, arrived there 10 pm on Fri. & checked out 10 am Sun. so I didn't spend much time there. I had requested that my daughter & her husband be on the same floor or adjoining rooms. We were pleasently surprised to have gotten adjoining rooms. Very nice place & accommodating staff

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Francis R
NY
Reviewed 14 June 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn in Ronkonkoma is a comfortable hotel with reasonable rates. As Hilton HHonors gold members, we get a complimentary breakfast from the buffet. The choices are good and there is also made to order service counter. The staff is always friendly and helpful. We used their shuttle service to the Ronkonkoma train service and it was convenient and worked out quite well.

Room Tip: We like rooms on the third or fourth floor. All the rooms are about the same. Clean and comfortable...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmak8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ronkonkoma
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Hampton Inn Long Island/Islandia
Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport? Share your experiences!