“It's a diner for crying out loud”
Review of Roscoe Diner

Roscoe Diner
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Roscoe
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I don't get the hoopla over this place. Not saying anythings wrong with it, but it's a diner for crying out loud. More extensive menu than your typical greasy spoon. Food was good and service was very quick and pleasant.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stopped here for dinner en route to the Finger Lakes. Diner was busy as always. Extensive menu of diner fare. Food (burgers) was average. Desserts were good. Waitress was attentive.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

The waitress made numerous mistakes, including some on the bill. The food was mediocre and arrived lukewarm. The cashier did not know how to operate the register. They need to put some money into remodeling the bathrooms.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I discovered the Roscoe Diner about 10 years ago while driving to New York City. I found the place to be a delightful old retro diner with lots of charm, and somewhat OK food. I make the drive from Toronto to NYC about 4 times a year, and I always looked forward to stopping in for a bite to eat and a coffee at Roscoe Diner.

You can get a bite to eat anywhere, but it was the service and charm that I looked forward to.

However, I was very disappointed with my last visit on Monday.

My wife and I decided to stop in for a quick bite. It was about 4 in the afternoon, and the place was near empty. As we walked in, the hostess (I don't know if that's her title, but the older lady that doesn't wait on tables, just rings up the bills at the register), and 2 waitresses were off to the side engaged in a conversation. The hostess barely looked at us and went back to her conversation. I guess she assumed that we would just take a seat ourselves. When we asked if we were to sit anywhere, she appeared to be annoyed.

We took a booth at the window, and waited for the conversation to pause before being offered menus. Simple order; coffee, a cup of soup and a grilled sandwich for me, the same for my wife, but soda instead of coffee.

The food came fast, but we were disappointed with the sandwiches.

Our waitress disappeared for about 15 minutes, and no one else touched tables to check on us. I guess that's the curse of the service industry, when its packed, the wait staff are usually on their game, moving fast and the customers get great service, but when it's slow, they find a booth in the corner and hide out. We both wanted refills of our drinks, but no one was around.

Then the bill came. The waitress didn't ask if everything was OK, just put down the bill and left again.

When we went up to pay, the hostess that rang us up just gave us the total. No niceties or pleasantries, just "$22.45".

$22.45 for 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, 2 cups of soup, a coffee and a soda. The sadwiches were $4.95 each (BTW just the sandwich on a plate, no garnishes or slaw), $1.75 for the coffee (small cup, refill wasn't offered), $2.25 for the soda (half ice, and again, no refill offered) and what ever the soup and tax came to.

As we left, no "thank you" or anything.

When it come to my wife and I, customer service is very important. We can get a bite to eat anywhere, but the service is what makes us a return customer. We were quite disappointed, and agreed that the next time through, we will keep on driving.

2  Thank Murdoch757
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Very good breakfast and dinner, service was good.Like the french toast the best.The location is very convenient and close to lodging places in a nice town.