“Really Nice Weekend”

1850 House Inn & Tavern
Ranked #1 of 2 Rosendale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We wanted to go up to Mohonk Mountain for the weekend and experience New Paltz for a nice getaway from the city. The other B&B's in the area were already booked so one of them recommended the 1850 House Inn. It was SO NICE- totally renovated, had a nice big room to sit, relax, and have coffee in any time, a fully stocked bar that always had people in it with beers on tap and a nice breakfast both mornings. The rooms were clean, modern, had an ipod dock/clock, and a really nice clean bathroom. The location was great. 5 minute drive right down the road to New Paltz and about a 10-15 minute drive to Mohonk Preserve. Definitely would recommend this to anyone who wants to get away and relax for a few nights! Plus the owners were super friendly!

Room Tip: Look at the pictures on the website! All are nice
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYGirl721
Michael R, Manager at 1850 House Inn & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

We're so glad you found us as well! We look forward to another visit!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here for a weekend in July and the only thing nicer than the 1850 house was the staff. Everyone was courteous and friendly and really went the extra mile. The rooms were beautifully appointed and comfortable with every modern amenity you could ask for. I will definitely be returning. BTW, the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard A

Thank you for your kind thoughts! We love our guests and of course, we love breakfast!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We had a lovely time during our stay here. This quaint and quiet hotel has been lovingly restored by the owners to capture a historic feel with touches of Americana throughout. The first floor, which is occupied by a cosy tavern/bar, large common areas and a breakfast nook with sunny morning views of the river, provides guests with ample space to lounge and dine before starting the day. The rooms are updated, clean and comfortable, and the bathrooms have been outfitted in subway tile and hex tile in keeping with the overall feel of the hotel. Michael, Kristen and Amy were wonderful hosts, offering tips on seeing the area, paying special attention to our kids' breakfast needs, and taking the time to show us photographs of the area and how the town has changed over the years (each room features photographic posters from the last hundred years and showcases street scenes, architectural landmarks or local attractions). A great place whether you are stopping for the night or staying for a while. Located a short 10 minute drive from New Paltz, the 1850 House offers a quiet stay in a unique property away from the bustle of the university. Our 8 year old enjoyed it so much he decided to write a review too (below).

Kids' review:

I loved my 6 night stay at the 1850 House. Our hosts, Michael, Kristen and Amy, were very friendly like when they made a special breakfast for us every morning and when Amy made us a nice cake dessert as a surprise. The pancakes and waffles we had for breakfast were scrumptious. The hosts made it feel like I was staying in my own house. There were lots of big photographs of the area from the past. The room was very comfortable and spacious with lots of comfortable chairs and a comfy bed. I loved the cool refreshing drinks of water that were waiting for me when I got there. Also, the television was pointing down at the bed so I could watch TV when trying to get to sleep at the same time!

When it was time to leave I complained forever and I hope I can go back soon.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2012

You will not find find a better hotel at any price,anywhere. My wife and I were on a month long road trip through New England and Canada and happened upon the 1850.
From the moment we walked in we could tell we were home. While Amy cheerfully checked us in Mike, the owner, was helping me with the bags.
What a fantastic job they did on the renovations,first class in every detail.
Imteresting historical photos are everywhere and the small tavern truly rounds off the at home feeling.
We loved our stay and had it not been for a wedding party the next evening we might still be there.
Mike, Kristin, Amy and Joe make a great team, make sure you you say hello for me.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juan F

We're blushing! And extremely thankful for your kind words! Come see us again soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We had a wonderful 2 night stay here in July. We had a large group including my 85 year old mom and my nephew, his wife and their two year old daughter. The Inn was perfect for all of us. A recently renovated historic property, the rooms are lovely, spacious and beautifully decorated (they are even nicer than in the photos). Breakfasts are generous and delicious. There are very pleasant common spaces perfect for reading or playing scrabble in the evening, and a little bar. The innkeeper and his assistants could not do enough for us, including insisting on offering my mom a different room when she complained that her first floor room was a bit too warm. We will be returning!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Elle1960
Reviewed 16 August 2012

A fine weekend experience. Charming, rustic, pre-civil war hotel that has been exquisitely refurbished and renovated with all the modern amenities. Our room overlooked the river and was very nicely appointed and included a large screen TV with a very comfortable queen bed.
What made the stay great, however, was the staff, their service and dedication. Michael, the owner, was very hospitable, cordial and available, while Amy, the innkeeper, went to great lengths to make our stay a pleasant experience, and her homemade breakfasts were quite delicious. An added bonus is the town of Rosendale, with it's historic buildings and surroundings, unique shops, classic movie theater, and superb restaurants. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbuntg
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the inn for a long weekend away from NYC. I was thrilled that the place looked just like the photos. Renovated in the spring, the place has great 19th century architecture with a full face lift. The bathroom was sparkling clean and neat with all white tiles.

Most surprisingly, the hotel staff was one of the nicest I have even encountered. Mike, the owner, was there every day and always asked if we needed anything, water for the room, activity suggestions, etc. When we checked out he even wanted to know what he could do better.

Because the place is so small you will get familiar with the other guests. You often see the same people at the cozy bar at night or having breakfast bright and early i the morning.

Fantastic find, will definitely suggest to friends and go back!

Room Tip: Each room is pictured on their site and the inn keeper helped me pick a room on the back of the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acbrooklyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosendale
Minnewaska Lodge
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast
Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn

Been to 1850 House Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!