“Nice place to take the girls!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tee Ridder Miniatures Museum
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The miniatures are very impressive, however, I think that the females will be more interested than the males! Check their website before going, as you might arrive when it is closed!

2  Thank FiOS-Dave

Reviewed 2 June 2008

Let me preface this by saying I'm not knowledgeable about the "miniatures" community nor do I have a particular interest in the hobby, but I did find myself taking a trip specifically to see the Tee Ridder museum located on the lovely grounds of the Nassau County Museum of Art.

The museum is very, very small (no pun intended), and only contains a handfull of exhibits, some of which are impressive in their level of detail, and others which are in various states of disrepair. There's very little background and historical information about the museum and the exhibits - at least I couldn't find much and the staff, while friendly and earnest, wasn't of much assistance.

The individual exhibits, which totalled approximately 25 or so, were the size of medium sized picture frames, each having a small placard with a fanciful and sometimes arcane description of the scene within. Many of the descriptions were clearly authored by exuberant and dedicated practitioners of the miniatures hobby. Two doll houses were also displayed, including one which was truly magnificent and another which was in slight disrepair.

The entry fee to the Tee Ridder Museum was quite exhorbitant, given the size of the museum and the state of the exhibits. The staff was confused regarding whether or not the Tee Ridder entry fee included automatic entry to the Museum of Art right next door. They claimed not, but I find that hard to believe.

The museum had a small gift shop where miniature items could be purchased by hobbyists or as gifts for children.

I can't recommend the Tee Ridder museum as a prime destination, and I'm reluctant to recommend it as a secondary destination as part of a visit to the very nice Museum of Art right next door.

8  Thank Mysterian