“A surprise”
Review of Kyma

Kyma
Reserve with OpenTable
Kyma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 40 Restaurants in Roslyn
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bryant Avenue
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I was not looking forward to going to this "trendy" place. I thought, expensive, noisy and expensive...I was surprised. The place is trendy looking with couch type seats around the table. However, the food was terrific and rather fair priced. I had the steak and fries, a bargain at 33 dollars. The whole fish that my wife had was perfection. I will go back here

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This restaurant is GREAT. We've been here twice since it just opened a couple of months ago. Already it is packed on weekends, and for good reason. The decor is beautiful, mediterranean-villa style with an open and airy feel. The martinis are great. The food is excellent and just as good as any Greek food we've eaten in Astoria. Loved the hot, paper-thin zucchini and eggplant wafers. Greek salad is perfect with ripe tomatoes and generous chunks of feta cheese. The lamb chops are delish. Great octopus appetizer too. Prices are better than Limani. But, where are the greek cookies???

1  Thank DrBknowsBEST
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Kyma is a new high end Greek restaurant in Roslyn with an emphasis on fish. We recommend the whole fish dorade, bronzino, crab cake, calamari and the moussaka too. Good Greek deserts too. The fish are delicate, cooked just right with lemon and capers. There was actual lump crab meat. You get a lot of food, in both appetizers and entrees. We didn't pick specials, since the price was a bit higher than the fish on the menu.The ambiance is white walls, light wood floors. The place was full on a Sunday night in the summer, the noise level was acceptable. We have been here twice and liked it both times.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

It is hard for me to give a star rating to Kyma: The food was great, the decor impressive, but the ambience was, to me, flawed seriously. Let me explain. My wife and I dined at Kyma the Tuesday after a rave review in the New York Times. We arrived for our 7 pm reservation and the place was full, really full. People were eating at the bar, and we were given the last table. This meant that one of us had to face the western wall of windows, with only a few gossamer fabric strands ineffectively interrupting the direct rays of the sun from one's eyes. Very unpleasant for a half hour until the sun lowered behind some trees. Requests for any kind of relief were reluctantly denied as there was nothing they could do. (Hint: Buy some window shades!)

The other problem was a result of their success. The Greek Island decor is striking, all white and stone and terra cotta and stucco, quite attractive visually. Alas, there are no sound absorbing surfaces, and, since the food and drink is great and the place is full, everyone is yelling to be heard over the din of everyone yelling to be heard over the din. The solicitous and well-informed waitress was hardpressed to make herself heard, and conversation with my wife was half words and half "What did you say?"

Now, the food. Fresh, flavorful, perfectly cooked. We had the appetizers of eggplant and zucchini chips, crisp and perfectly seasoned, and the octopus, tender, tasting of garlic, red onion, and capers and the singed smokiness of the grill, perfectly enhanced with a hint of salt and lemon. For the main course, we shared the grilled whole Atlantic red snapper for two. The presentation was artful, filleted open and deboned, with head and tail in place (and enthusiastically server to me as I like the cheeks and crisp tail, as well as the collar meat). The sweet fillets were excellent, with seasoned and grilled goodness in every bite, and crisp skin to boot. We had french fries and broccoli rabe for sides, both excellent.

I forgot to mention the basket of fresh made pita (at least two kinds) and rustic hummus that filled the time between ordering and the arrival of the appetizers. There is a serious danger of ruining one's appetite with this stuff! Which we did, so we had absolutely no room for dessert.

Wine! The list is not over long, plenty of choice, decent prices. The waitress explained the Greek selections and helped us choose a very fruity dry white that made an excellent foil for the food.

So, food, wine and service, 5 stars. Fairly priced. Decor: Very nice. Noise bordering on intolerable (your ears may vary). And don't come when the sun is low in the sky.

So, do I rate it 5 for food, 2 for ambience, or what? I decided on 4, in hopes that they will read this, buy some shades, and hang fabric from the ceiling to absorb noise.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and took my sister-in-law and her boyfriend to Kyma for her 75th birthday. This is the first time we visited the restaurant and as we entered we were surprised with ambiance that is first class. Their wine list is very good and their specialties even better. We each had an entree of Salmon, Bronzino, or chicken. I highly recommend Kyma and we will be revisiting soon. There is valet parking.

3  Thank MikeLongIsland