“Stay here only if you must...i.e., wedding, local event”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Roslyn Hotel

The Roslyn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roslyn
Birmingham, Michigan
“Stay here only if you must...i.e., wedding, local event”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

No fan or a/c in room.
No workout room (sign said under construction).
Visible burn in carpet from iron.
No sound deadener between rooms. Tremendous noise from road traffic, rooms on either side, children screaming in hallways, noise from breakfast area which is in center of building and open.

Room Tip: try top floor overlooking parking lot instead of road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I hosted a rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding. I was more than embarrassed; I felt humiliated. I had also been told that emergency repair work would be done by the time of the event, without being told that other major renovations would be going on.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Art S

Travellers are raving about these Roslyn hotels

Wantagh, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had blocked out almost 20 rooms at this hotel for my wedding at a different location. I had been dealing with one of the managers for the month leading up to the booking to make sure everything was in order. I arrived at the hotel to find heavy construction being done on the exterior entrance, and had to be forced to park downstairs in the parking garage (where there was very limited parking). Not once did this woman bring up to me that there was major construction being done. Once inside I find out there is MORE construction being done. There was scaffolding everywhere, plaster all over the carpet, and very noticeable wires hanging down in the entrance of some of the rooms themselves. I was taking pictures at the hotel before the wedding (as the hotel management knew), and am afraid to see what some of these pictures are actually going to look like. One room even had a bees nest outside of one of the windows, and some found themselves inside, 1 in particular landing on the foot of my mother in law. Rooms had dirty sheets, some were even without power! We hosted a breakfast the next morning, and it was not worth the money we paid for it. Food ran out quickly, and when we asked why it wasn't being replenished fast enough, I was given a laughable excuse that our food went to another party by mistake- I assure you, we were the only party there that morning. Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again, or recommend it to anyone. I am embarrassed for all my guests who stayed! This place is way too over priced!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Diana R
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were at the hotel for a wedding, and the hotel was adequate, but barely, for the purpose. The hotel was undergoing renovation, so some of the facilities, like the health club, were not available. No effort had been made to make an alternative available. The food was, not spectacular, but I found the breakfast adequate compared to other hotels like it. Our room was a decent size, and the bed was not uncomfortable. The room had two air conditioning units, once noisy wall unit, and one central system that worked fine. Not sure why they need both. Maybe that is part of the renovation (if so, hopefully, the wall units will go as part of that). On the other hand, the staff was friendly and service was cheerful and prompt.

I marked the hotel down a full grade for environmentally shameful behavior. It was a warm June day, and the entire hotel was comfortably air conditioned, yet there was a gas fire going in the fireplace in the lounge. At a time when everyone needs to be sensitive to unnecessary carbon pollution, and its associated impact on climate change and sea level change (change which, by the way, could put Rosyln under water in a century or two), having a fire in a decorative fireplace in an air conditioned hotel is disgusting. Shame on Roslyn Hotel for that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cameraman612
Kirkland, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I booked this hotel for a reunion and for one night it was fine.
However, the breakfast offerings were carb heavy and I passed on it.
The garage was poorly lit
I did not like the room they gave me as it faced right onto the main road and next to a street light, at the level of the window of the room. That would not have been fun.
They did upgrade me as it was a slow weekend.
I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bhaj T
ROSLYNMGR, Manager at The Roslyn Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Bhaj T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your stay. We actually offer a full hot breakfast complimentary to all our guests and after careful reviews came up with a menu to satisfy all our guests. We offer an abundance of fresh fruits, cereals, eggs, meats, pancakes, oatmeal, pastries, breads, jams, jellies, fresh juices, milk, tea, coffee. I am glad the staff was able to accommodate you with an upgrade.
We are also in the final phases of room upgrades at the hotel and we hope you consider giving us another chance and we will ensure you will be satisfied with our new additions.

Safe travels,

Management
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Hotel advertising itself as"exclusive boutique hotel" is comedy... Try out dated, decaying hotel that has seen better days though not sure how long ago ... 1950s? Front entrance closed, so have to park and enter through basement, ground falling apart looking dangerous. Poor to no lighting in car park. Arrived late there was basic room service that was extortionate. Breakfast was very basic, coffee when available was appalling, hot food was tepid, bread stale, toaster very slow. No restaurant. It is close to town... Where there are some good cafes and restaurants. Bed lumpy. Walls paper thin. Lots of noise from the road. Staff full of attitude, often pushed into lifts ahead of hotel guests. Internet was free and reasonable. Tv remote low battery. Shower low pressure. Did put a fridge in room when asked. Most annoying was to be ripped off for $30 at end of my stay... Will continue to follow this up.... Nonsense of difference of agreed for party in email but not allocated to this group but confirmed through internet despite discussion directly with hotel. It was not terrible, as there are a few redeeming features mentioned but it is poor and only survives as there is nothing else in the area. Cleanliness was average, coffee and water not replaced each day. One did get usa today put under the door, for ny times they charge...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank alphasilk
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Not many options for nice hotels to stay in on the North Shore of Long Island near Manhasset, so we booked this hotel. Arrived around 9pm in the rain and checked in. They have a lobby bar area and since this hotel is about the only one around, family parties for bar mitvahs and weddings seem to be the standard along with the gatherings in the lobby bar until late night. We were given a room right next to the lobby and after closing the door and feeling as though we were part of the party, went back and asked for a more quiet room and were upgraded to a nicer room and a quiet one. Seems a bit dated but since it is the only game in town, you take what you get.
Unfortunately we left our rental car lights on and when came out Sunday morning found a dead battery. No jumper cables available and the desk clerk called around everywhere to try to find some. THey have a policy that no employee can help jump a car so we were out of luck. We said we would sign a liability waiver but no way. Finally one of the maintenance crew said they would help us and we got a jump. Thank you to that person who saw someone in need and did was was such a nice thing.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslyn
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
#2 of 2 in Great Neck
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#3 of 4 in Garden City

Been to The Roslyn Hotel? Share your experiences!