“Fantastic Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
New Jersey
“Fantastic Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

The Winter Clove Inn is absolutely my favorite spot on earth. It is situated at the top of a mountain with gorgeous views in all directions. The inn is the real thing. It's not run by some ex-investment bankers who wanted to start a B&B and fill it with all the luxuries. It's over 160 years old, furnished with homey (not fancy) antiques, is always clean and safe, and the food is wonderful.
The above review by dennis is so misleading. He complains about the lack of security, not having staff immediately at his beck and call, and old furniture. Really Dennis, go find one of those luxury 5 year old bed and breakfasts. This place is the real deal. It's like going back in time. You mentioned you like the big chain hotels? Then that's your thing. You need not take up space at the Winter Clove.
I go every year with my family (wish we could go more often!) and have been going for 25 years. I have NEVER had a problem with security, never had anything stolen, and never felt unsafe (dennis - you must be from New York - as am I). I've been there in every season and it's always beautiful. While the staff is not there 24 hours they are ALWAYS reachable quickly and I have never had to wait more than a few minutes. Dennis commented on the price. They do not nickel and dime you and the very reasonable fee includes three delicious meals and all of the ammenities. I am a vegetarian and they always make me fantastic meals. I've referred kosher friends and all they have to do is ask and they get meals (vegetarian or fish) prepared for them. (Try that at most places and you get a plate of steamed vegetables!)
How much do I like the place? I got married there, on the top of the mountain in front of the big beautiful inn built in the 1880's in 1993. Winter Clove is simpy the best place on earth.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ElaineNewJersey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hauppauge, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

The Winter Clove Inn was recommended by family members. My family of four (2 children, ages 9 and 11) decided on a 1 week relaxing vacation. I was very hesitant since I have a very strong "A"-type personality. i always have to be doing something. We had a wonderful time, even though we did not have a television in our bedroom. The first night without television was tough, but we quickly learned to live without one. There are so many activities to do there and places to go sight-see. I have celiac disease and notified the owners as soon as we made reservations. I was asked to bring cereal, bread and dessert. The dining staff was wonderful. The cook made adjustments to the meals so that I can eat was what being served. Our waiter notified me what I could not eat. My kids are fussy eaters and were pleased with the meals. We brought canned ravioli, spaghetti-o's and macaroni and cheese just in case. Our waiter had no problem heating up the meals for them on the few occasions we asked.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

My wife knew this inn from her childhood days spent around the area at her grandparents home. We were visiting the area for a few days and she thought this would be a great place. I think that memory was much nicer than the inn itself.

When we arrived no one was around to check us in; staff was "out back". They eventually came out front after repeated bell ringing. The room we got had two beds; each had a sheet of plywood under the mattress to stiffen the bed...not comfortable. The mattresses must have been extremely old. The furniture was old looking and didn't function well...drawer fronts came off, cabinet doors came off..it all seemed like it was falling apart. No care of the furniture had been taken. I expected some period furniture, but in working condition. There was no TV, which is fine for a B&B. There was no phone or clock. The light fixtures were old and put out the minimal amount of light. The bathroom was the most updated item in the room and it still seemed to be 20-30 years old. The floors were sloped (as can be expected in older inns). The door lock was minimal at best, very flimsy; no dead bolt. I was concerned for my family and our belongings as it was easy to get into the room. When I tried to check out...no staff around, walked through the entire back of the house looking for anyone who worked there and finally found the chamber maid (she didn't know how to check us out). I set my keys on the front desk and left. This was upsetting because all the keys and all the client information was available to anyone that wanted to search the front desk area...since no staff was around, it would have been easy to go through. That very discerning when staying someplace...no security what so ever...and that bothers me...it should everyone. How safe are you and your belongings. Can you go out and feel comfortable leaving money, computers, etc, lying around.

I love historic places and have a fondness for inns and B&Bs, but hospitality, comfort, and security should be at the top of the list. If guests aren't comfortable, and there is no hospitality, then there are no guests. We could have stayed in simple hotel along the highway, spent half as much, had a TV, clock, room phone, better mattresses, front desk staff that at least greeted us and was available to us...which is what we'll do next time.

BTW, a few days later we stayed in a Marriott for just under the same amount we spent here...front desk staff availability, continental breakfast, TV, Radio, computer hook up, Wifi, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, relatively new furniture including mattresses, clean bathroom areas, etc...what a difference. The kids slept well through the night and so did we. I'd recommend the Marriott any day. ( Yes, I know it's an entirely different experience)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank dennis c
Sumter, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Historic Catskill inn with good food and charm. Five generations of the Whitcomb family have catered to guests who return annually. It sorta sucks you in! :) Though
it's an old building, the Whitcombs have worked to add modern conveniences while maintaining the inn's integrity.

Room Tip: Great place for families.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Stonington, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I recently hosted a family weekend at Winter Clove Inn as a memorial for my Mom who lived a great life for 95 years. My sister and I, my 3 adult children and spouses and their mostly adult children were all in attendance - 15 of us. We all loved the Inn experience except for one member of our group who has written a strange and sad review. However, the rest of us know that our much loved Mom would have loved every minute of our time together. As a large family we were housed in 7 rooms all opening onto a large living room equipped with a bar and refrig. The warm weather was perfect for outdoor adventures: we hiked, played golf and swam using both the indoor pool, the outdoor pool and the natural pool under the covered bridge. We had family from 5 states so mostly enjoyed gathering on the spacious porch.
We were entertained at the outdoor lunch on Saturday by a band that played at least one of everyone's favorite song. The bonfire Saturday night was great. One of the other guests played and sang for all of us. All the guests seemed to enjoy each other and their own personal experience. As a group we all felt the weekend was perfect. Thank you, Inn keepers.
Alice McKenna

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank alice M
Valatie, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was our first time to Winter Clove Inn. We had 4 children under age 9 and 4 adults and we thoroughly enjoyed the natural, quiet setting in the mountains. The views were beautiful, the pools (indoor and outdoor) were wonderful and the kids enjoyed all the activities available (bowling, shuffle board, tennis lessons, bingo, hiking and fishing). The evening BBQ with live acoustic music was a really nice touch - very relaxing and enjoyable. My sister and I played with the music in the background, while the kids rolled down the hills. The rooms were spacious, although a bit dated and musty. We were in a smaller building, not the main building, suite style. We had our 4 rooms and our own common area - perfect set-up for our goup. The rooms are not top-of-the-line, but they do the job. The food was outstanding - every meal was fabulous, filling and they offered unexpected options during our time there. The staff were helpful and friendly and the fact there were not many staff members meant that we interacted with the same people which lead to a more friendly interactions. They have a sign in the office "Come as strangers, leave as friends" and that's how we started to feel by the end of our 4 days. A real nice family place that felt safe for the kids and worlds away from the craziness of the times.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa K
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Winter Clove Inn is nestled in the Catskill mountains and reminiscent of the family resorts from days gone by. Activities include a fully functional bowling alley, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis, volleyball, golfing and great hiking trails. The huge front porch is welcoming for quiet time or conversation with family or other guests, as is the large living room complete with fireplace and piano. For our family reunion, we couldn't have asked for more. Three meals a day comfortable clean rooms, pleasant staff and many places to gather. Not sure what a previous reviewer meant by "no fans", we had air conditioning in all of our rooms as well as in the dining room. Of course there are some areas that could use a little sprucing up, but they were the exception, not the rule and Winter Clove has been serving families for 150 years!

Room Tip: There are three buildings housing rooms, I would choose the main house. This puts you in the same bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!