“Beauty and Charm in the Catskills”
Review of Winter Clove Inn

and 1 more site!
Winter Clove Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Cary, North Carolina
“Beauty and Charm in the Catskills”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just returned from a family celebration weekend at Winter Clove Inn, and everyone wants to go back again! Everyone, ages 25 - 82! We journeyed from 6 different states and all stayed together in a separate lodge on the premises. I cannot describe the beauty of the grounds. We loved the hiking trails, the crazy unique wonderful golf course (bring lots of balls!), the beautiful pools, covered bridge, waterfalls, game hall, the meals, and the exquisite, relaxing, and huge porch! OK, this is not a 5 star hotel, nor should it be! Our big cozy rooms were a combo of deluxe camping and college dorm, which only made the adventure more fun! Sure, the place is old, the wallpaper is old, the fixtures are old (so am I...) but everything works and is clean. It is all absolutely charming! No one bothered to turn on a TV or laptop (there is internet) because we were having so much fun together or exploring in small groups. There is something for everyone here. The family running the Inn could not be nicer or more accommodating. Our dining room server was terrific (thanks, Heather!) and took care of our large group with ease and humor. This is a perfect place for a couples or family getaway. The view, the fresh air, the beautiful buildings and gardens, wholesome homemade food, and sense of history are pieces of the magical, wonderful memories we now share. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We have visited Winter Clove Inn twice, and we love it. We are already planning our next trip.
The inn itself, and adjacent buildings, are all comfortable and have some surprising amenities: bowling alley, game rooms, indoor (and outdoor) pool, tennis court, living room. Both times we stayed here, our rooms were clean and comfortable.
The hiking trails are absolutely fantastic! There are many hours of hiking trails that start from the Inn. We have yet to explore them all. We started yesterday's hike with seeing a black bear (he ran away...)!!!
Items for improvement: food could be better, front desk staff could be more attentive, front desk hours could be more accommodating.
Items to keep as they are: the property is a beautiful old inn to be cherished, dining room staff, the treehouse, the simplicity and lack of formalities, the feeling that one is visiting family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I go up to winter clove every year during the winter. Since my mom was pregnant with me. My parents have gone up here since they were 16 now they are in they 50's and they also got engaged up here. We go up here to get away from city life. The food was not always the best, they now have a new cook who's food is pretty good. For the animals a cat and dog that stays in the office. When the cat did come out all it wanted was to be rubbed. The pool changing room has never been in great condition but why do you need to changed in the pool when your room is up stairs. The lighting gas never been a problem because during the day its bright and sunny. I go on all the different hikes and visit the horse. For fun I go tubing. I go with about twenty kids from ages 6-25. We all find something to do. Yes we do make some loud noise but we are kids. Great place to come to get away from the phones emails and city life.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jewels905
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
We are happy to hear you also developed a love for Winter Clove right along with your parents! Winter Clove is an easy 2-hour drive from Manhattan where city dwellers and others come to unwind and breathe the fresh Northern Catskills air.

In wintertime, our guests enjoy discounted ski and tubing passes to Windham Mountain. Hunter Mountain is also close by. We offer cross country skiing on our property with free rentals. And the little ones enjoy sledding on our slope. The hiking and mountain-biking trails are incredible year-round. There is indoor ice skating nearby.

Our indoor pool, bowling alley, and game rooms help occupy the children when their parents are curled up by the fire with a good book.

Getting away helps re-charge your batteries - whether you're an adult or a kid. We hope you continue to enjoy Winter Clove with your family and friends for years to come. Thanks for writing a review!
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Okay I'm gonna be honest they food not good. No it's not the 4 seasons. No there is no tv. Yes there are animals but guess what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Every year me and all my cousins go there at the end if July. It's the only hotel Ik of that u can run around with no shoes on. It's like my second home. I walk in and I just wanna say I'm home. Ik there is no tv but who cares? All day I'm ethier catching frogs, at the creek, in the pool, exploring with my cousins, or just chillen on the too floor. Note though bring ur own water and snacks. I count down the days till I'm back. Okay I'll admit the foods bad and it's old but I love it. I love that there are cats and dogs every where. I wanted to take little midnight home. A lot of people complain about the timed meals. That's a great thing. That way ur not all fight where to go to lunch, when to eat, etc. well I go with like 25 people sooo. Go to winter clove just don't talk my too floor if u go at July 2nd to last week. This place grows on u. Btw my cousins and I spend hours reading these laughing and if they read this they would laugh at me lol yeah so go here.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. We think you hit the nail on their head when it comes to the atmosphere and how it makes kids feel when they are here. And the parents love it because they know their children are happiest when they're catching frogs and fireflies, swimming, hiking, mountain biking, playing tennis, or just simply hanging with their friends, cousins and family members. We are happy to consider more kid-friendly food options on top of what we already offer. Thanks again!

-Lenore & Bud Whitcomb
Owners/Innkeepers
NYC
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I will start with the positives. The exterior and grounds of Winter Clove are beautiful.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the interior. The inn is totally run down. Our room (21) was so small it was utterly claustrophobic and everything just felt unclean. The linens were yellowed, the surfaces were dusty, the decorative pillows on the bed were stained, there were small marks and stains on everything - not good enough.

I can get with the notion of simplicity and rustic charm but it simply has to be CLEAN. When I discussed this with the lady at checkout, her response was simply - "well the linens are clean." OK. Thanks. I disagree.

Our bathroom door wouldn't shut. There was a gross brown stain on the bathroom floor created by some kind of dripping pipe and you literally cannot turn around without bumping into a wall because it's just so small.

Also, there are cats running around.

The people working there were just frankly uninterested in us. We got little to no guidance upon check in as to how the breakfast system works and in fact every time I approached reception I was just greeted with blank-faced looks like I was a stranger disturbing the peace.

Also, there is no access to any kind of amenities. I feel like an inn should offer day-long coffee and hot water in the lobby, or at least a chilled water source of some kind - nothing.

It's hard to write a review like this without seeming like some city diva whose expectations are way too high. Well, all I can say is a travel a lot, stay in every spectrum of accommodations and this is without a doubt one of the most underwhelming places I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Anything on the top floor is at least more spacious.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Red667Nyc
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for noticing Winter Clove Inn's exterior and grounds. For over 150 years, guests have enjoyed relaxing on the inn's large porch overlooking flowers on the expansive front lawn. Our Catskill Mountain hiking and mountain biking trails through the covered bridge and over the waterfalls and scenic terrain are considered a gem by our guests.

The rooms are carefully cleaned by our chambermaids and beds are made with fresh linens. Had you raised your concern about the linens or room size upon check-in on Friday, we would have been happy to re-make your room or provide a new room - immediately. No questions asked. We truly want our guests to be comfortable and very pleased with their stay, but our hands are tied if we learn about an issue after the fact.

Aunt Karen's homemade cookies and apple juice are served most days in the front foyer and replenished throughout the day. We served iced water pitchers to your group and other guests to enjoy on the veranda. However, since reading your review, we decided to begin offering self-serve fresh coffee in carafes and iced lemon-water as a complement to the homemade cookies in between mealtimes throughout the day.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We want everyone to know that when something of concern is brought to our attention, we go out of our way to make it right.

Lenore & Bud Whitcomb, owners/innkeepers
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The Winter Clove is a perfect Catskills destination, especially for people with kids age 5-13. It has been family run for multiple generations. It is an "old school" Catskill resort and keep this in mind when setting your expectations. The buildings and facilities are, shall we say, well used. This is a bonus however when you have young children. They don't notice at all, play with and on everything, and there is no fear of breaking or abusing. My boys love the indoor pool in winter and outdoor pool in summer. Bowling alley and game room provide hours of fun. Don't expect the Four Seasons and you won't be disappointed. Many of the guests have been coming over mulitple generations as well and it has wonderful "join the party atmosphere".

p.s. if you're driving, you might want to bring your own pillows as the ones provided are ok at best.

Room Tip: Rooms near stairways can be loud.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 8 July 2013

In a world driven by speed and efficiency, Winter Clove is an oasis where time slows down. The Inn has a rustic country atmosphere lovingly maintained by the Whitcomb Family for over a century. The hosts are warm and accommodating, and their staff always aims to please. Guests who truly appreciate Winter Clove do not expect the white glove treatment, but instead welcome the simple and natural harmony that thrives there. Being without a television, tolerating a squeaky door, and climbing a flight of stairs to one’s room – none of these things troubles the ideal Winter Clove guest.

The place is among the last of the great old Inns in the Catskill Mountains, and has endured because of its dedication to country simplicity that returning guests have grown to cherish. Additionally, Winter Clove has stayed true to the high premium it places upon family togetherness and outdoor activities. The Inn lies at the base of a mountain and its sprawling acreage offers hiking and biking trails, brooks, swimming holes, and waterfalls buried high up in the mountainside. Even though a family room television and complimentary WiFi are available, technology is easily forgotten for a few days and children are instead entertained by hayrides, bonfires, guided hikes, indoor/outdoor swimming, on-site bowling, shuffleboard, ping pong, and a weekly outdoor barbecue with live music in the summertime. The kitchen prepares three square meals a day and the staff is happy to pack you a bag lunch if one of your excursions will take you elsewhere for the day.

I first visited Winter Clove when I was 5 years old and some of my fondest childhood memories are there. If they’d have me, I’d gladly live with the Whitcombs at Winter Clove year round. You could visit every year for a lifetime and still not see the same things twice. I’ve been a returning guest for over 25 years and every time I discover something new.

-Andrew, Long Island NY

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew S
Andrew,

You captured the essence of Winter Clove Inn so eloquently!!

Whether 25 years with us or first-timers - we work hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay, feel welcome and relaxed, eat well, and leave with a stay filled with memories to last until their next visit.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, and for your friendship and patronage for 25 years. We feel blessed!

Lenore & Bud Whitcomb
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
#3 of 4 in Round Top

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!