“Perfect place for our wedding!”
Review of Winter Clove Inn

and 1 more site!
Winter Clove Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This past weekend was our wedding, and we had it at the Winter Clove Inn. My husband and I now live in Georgia, but I spent a lot of summers in the Catskills and when it came time to plan our wedding, I knew exactly where I wanted it to be. Being far away from where you're getting married presents a lot of challenges, but the staff if the Winter Clove made it almost too easy for us. They were helpful, made recommendations, and adjusted things to our preferences. The setting was absolutely perfect, the food was great, the atmosphere was exactly what we wanted and the party didn't stop until about 2 am after finishing it off with some bowling and a bon fire. We have had dozens of people come to us and tell us it was the best wedding they've been to, and I can happily say that there wasn't a thing about it I would have changed.

The Inn itself is beautiful. It's old, built in the 1800's, but well kept and charming as anything. The rooms were clean and encouraged you to get out and do things. Some people may complain that there aren't TVs in there, but to me, thats not why you go to a place like the Winter Clove. You go to be outside. To swim, play golf, hike, go horseback riding and more. The breakfast was great, and our wedding dinner was delicious. The new chef is an absolute sweetheart and more than accommodating. They're helpful, and most importantly, they took care of things for the wedding and never gave me a reason to stress out. I slept well, ate well, and felt like family the whole time I was there.

Thank you, Winter Clove Inn for giving us the best wedding we could have ever asked for. We wouldn't have changed a thing!

Room Tip: Take advantage of what the Winter Clove has to offer and ask for recommendations on more things to d...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 September 2013

There are positive and negative things about this old quaint resort. On the bright side the rooms are very clean. And they have a sweet cat roaming around named Clover. The flip side is that this place is extremely old and it is a fire trap in my opinion. There are multiple staircases, rotted fire escapes, no Tv's in the room. The TV in the lobby/living room only plays a DVD- there is ONE to choose from. The outdoor pool is specatularly clear but who is going to swim in 55 degree weather. The indoor pool is cloudy white water and the entire room smells horriblely of mold. It is like being in a teranium. I was told at check in that the bowling alley opens at 730 pm, but I watched and waited on the front deck and it never opened. I heard and watched a couple go over to the small building and walk away. on the porch I overheard them say the bowling was closed but it was supposed to be open. The milky indoor pool was supposed to be open until 9pm but it was pitched black and the area was closed and dark by 7pm. I left early. I felt it was a dangerous place to stay in the event there was a fire. you would be trapped. The rooms had all sorts of insects in them not cock roaches but mountain type bugs. I wanted to open my window because it was cool out but there weren't any screens so I had to sleep with the AC on and it was very noisy. This place is very disappointing and to me a death trap. I guess it is good if you are on a honeymoon or if you are the type of person that goes to bed by 8pm. Sorry lenore but I would not recommend this place to anyone. it is boring ,it does not fulfill it's advertised activities and you need fire escapes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the cottages on the grounds. Do not stay over the kitchen because the ovens...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jean F
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The facility is nice, the staff great, and the rooms charming but the food this year was sub-par. New chef with bland choices. Lunch was choice of mac and cheese or chilli. Dinner choice roast beef (tough) and chicken breast (tougher). ALL food was served cold. Waitress was wonderful but didn't make up for disappointing food.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank janetoco
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We went here for a family reunion. It is in the beautiful Catskills - was nice to get away from the busier, polluted suburbs. We stayed in the carriage house (above the bowling alley). The rooms were much more spacious than the ones in the main house. The one downside was that the showers were *tiny* (and no tub). The main house was really neat to just look around. I love the old style. The indoor swimming pool was pretty chilly but we didn't have to worry about sunburn. The outside pool was nice in the afternoon to get refreshed before dinner.
For meals, the servers were very friendly and accommodating. We didn't realize until the second evening that beer and wine are available for a small charge billed to your room. The food was all good. There was always some sort of bread ready to eat when we sat down and dessert for both lunch and dinner. Oh, and if you are going to be out for the afternoon, they will prepare bag lunches for you to take, which we did once while we were there, and again the day we left for the trip home (every night you stay you get 3 meals; if your first meal there is dinner then the last one is lunch the day you depart).
The covered bridge and waterfall just a short hike from the house were nice! It didn't take long to get to, but it made for a little outing and the kids had a blast!
I hope to go back again sometime.

1  Thank jeremyandsarahq
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Winter Clove Inn hosted a glorious weekend for our recent family reunion. It was the perfect place for 80 people traveling from various states. Adults found many relaxing spots to sit and reminisce and all the children had the greatest time ever with swimming, bowling, game room, hayride and campfire. Absolutely an A+ for wonderful meals and service. We thank all at Winter Clove for our marvelous experience there.

Room Tip: Front rooms may be noisier if people gather later on the front porch. Rooms in the rear are quieter...
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The grounds are beautiful, the porch very nice, the interior a bit run down. Staff very nice and friendly. We were there as a part of a family reunion, so my "be aware" is regarding the price. In all we paid about $700 for a family of four. We obviously hadn't read the website correctly, they say $120, but in the paragraph above it states per person, and then children are extra depending on age. So around $350 a night --not worth it, if it was more like $200 a night total OK.....I travel a LOT and have never had a hotel type listing as per -person in a paragraph....rather than at least on the line with the cost of the hotel see below for listing --not very honest. Given the price we paid I would have expected a better meal, it was similar to a cafeteria. The people were great so I have a hard time writing this...I just think the cost should be more evident and given that price and the food quality I would have only chosen to stay one night.

Weekends & Holidays
Jan 1 – May 1 - $110.00
May 2 – Dec 31 - $120.00
* Some holidays may have a surcharge, and may require a 2- or 3-day stay.

1  Thank MonicaL515
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The Winter Clove Inn is an absolutely magical getaway for total relaxation. The grounds are magnificent and they are framed by majestic Catskill peaks. The rooms are what you would expect at an upscale bed and breakfast, but the Winter Clove grants you so much more. Three delicious meals are served daily and the choices can please the pickiest of eaters--I know because my eight year old son is one of them! Magnificent hiking trails start moments outside the front entrance; you may pass a few deer, wander across a covered bridge, and listen to the beautiful songbirds. The Winter Clove has a lovely indoor pool, outdoor pool, bowling alley, game arcade, playground, activities schedule, etc. The Whitcomb family welcomes you with open arms and makes you feel totally at home. The wait staff go out of their way to satisfy you. This is a perfect resort for parent-child bonding--there are no technological distractions such as televisions or computer cafes (although there is a tv room). This is a magnificent location for total rest, relaxation, and quality family time. It is also the perfect getaway for creative minds/writers that need total quiet in order to produce work. There is nothing not to love about the Winter Clove. We will be returning again and again!

2  Thank AJ H
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties
Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!