“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Narberth, Pennsylvania
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Winter Clove has been a part of our family's traditions for three generations and more than 40 years. Uncle Mert and Aunt Honey had always made us feel truly at home. It isn't fancy or activity packed, although their recent addition of chef Vanessa certainly ups the culinary scale. Mert and Honey's son Buddy Whitcomb and his wife Lenore continue that tradition of warmth, hospitality, and home away from home creating a carefree place for kids to play and adults to unwind.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Carmel, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This past Sunday my daughter got married on the porch at the Winter Clove Inn. You couldn't ask for a more perfect setting as the leaves were beginning to change. The staff at the inn went out of their way to make sure everyone was satisfied. The chef, Vanessa did a superb job with the hors d'oeuvres as well as the meal. After the reception Lenore and her husband Bud (the owners of the inn) opened up their 6 lane bowling alley where we bowled and continued the celebration. At 11:30 we were invited to enjoy a beautiful bonfire that they also set up for us. The comments I received from many of the guests was "it was the best wedding I've ever been to". The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. I highly recommend the Winter Clove for any special celebration or just a weekend away.

Room Tip: All the rooms were unique in their decor and quiet. I'm not sure one was any better than the oth...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Douglasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This past weekend was our wedding, and we had it at the Winter Clove Inn. My husband and I now live in Georgia, but I spent a lot of summers in the Catskills and when it came time to plan our wedding, I knew exactly where I wanted it to be. Being far away from where you're getting married presents a lot of challenges, but the staff if the Winter Clove made it almost too easy for us. They were helpful, made recommendations, and adjusted things to our preferences. The setting was absolutely perfect, the food was great, the atmosphere was exactly what we wanted and the party didn't stop until about 2 am after finishing it off with some bowling and a bon fire. We have had dozens of people come to us and tell us it was the best wedding they've been to, and I can happily say that there wasn't a thing about it I would have changed.

The Inn itself is beautiful. It's old, built in the 1800's, but well kept and charming as anything. The rooms were clean and encouraged you to get out and do things. Some people may complain that there aren't TVs in there, but to me, thats not why you go to a place like the Winter Clove. You go to be outside. To swim, play golf, hike, go horseback riding and more. The breakfast was great, and our wedding dinner was delicious. The new chef is an absolute sweetheart and more than accommodating. They're helpful, and most importantly, they took care of things for the wedding and never gave me a reason to stress out. I slept well, ate well, and felt like family the whole time I was there.

Thank you, Winter Clove Inn for giving us the best wedding we could have ever asked for. We wouldn't have changed a thing!

Room Tip: Take advantage of what the Winter Clove has to offer and ask for recommendations on more things to d...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

There are positive and negative things about this old quaint resort. On the bright side the rooms are very clean. And they have a sweet cat roaming around named Clover. The flip side is that this place is extremely old and it is a fire trap in my opinion. There are multiple staircases, rotted fire escapes, no Tv's in the room. The TV in the lobby/living room only plays a DVD- there is ONE to choose from. The outdoor pool is specatularly clear but who is going to swim in 55 degree weather. The indoor pool is cloudy white water and the entire room smells horriblely of mold. It is like being in a teranium. I was told at check in that the bowling alley opens at 730 pm, but I watched and waited on the front deck and it never opened. I heard and watched a couple go over to the small building and walk away. on the porch I overheard them say the bowling was closed but it was supposed to be open. The milky indoor pool was supposed to be open until 9pm but it was pitched black and the area was closed and dark by 7pm. I left early. I felt it was a dangerous place to stay in the event there was a fire. you would be trapped. The rooms had all sorts of insects in them not cock roaches but mountain type bugs. I wanted to open my window because it was cool out but there weren't any screens so I had to sleep with the AC on and it was very noisy. This place is very disappointing and to me a death trap. I guess it is good if you are on a honeymoon or if you are the type of person that goes to bed by 8pm. Sorry lenore but I would not recommend this place to anyone. it is boring ,it does not fulfill it's advertised activities and you need fire escapes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the cottages on the grounds. Do not stay over the kitchen because the ovens...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jean F
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The facility is nice, the staff great, and the rooms charming but the food this year was sub-par. New chef with bland choices. Lunch was choice of mac and cheese or chilli. Dinner choice roast beef (tough) and chicken breast (tougher). ALL food was served cold. Waitress was wonderful but didn't make up for disappointing food.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank janetoco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We went here for a family reunion. It is in the beautiful Catskills - was nice to get away from the busier, polluted suburbs. We stayed in the carriage house (above the bowling alley). The rooms were much more spacious than the ones in the main house. The one downside was that the showers were *tiny* (and no tub). The main house was really neat to just look around. I love the old style. The indoor swimming pool was pretty chilly but we didn't have to worry about sunburn. The outside pool was nice in the afternoon to get refreshed before dinner.
For meals, the servers were very friendly and accommodating. We didn't realize until the second evening that beer and wine are available for a small charge billed to your room. The food was all good. There was always some sort of bread ready to eat when we sat down and dessert for both lunch and dinner. Oh, and if you are going to be out for the afternoon, they will prepare bag lunches for you to take, which we did once while we were there, and again the day we left for the trip home (every night you stay you get 3 meals; if your first meal there is dinner then the last one is lunch the day you depart).
The covered bridge and waterfall just a short hike from the house were nice! It didn't take long to get to, but it made for a little outing and the kids had a blast!
I hope to go back again sometime.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jeremyandsarahq
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Winter Clove Inn hosted a glorious weekend for our recent family reunion. It was the perfect place for 80 people traveling from various states. Adults found many relaxing spots to sit and reminisce and all the children had the greatest time ever with swimming, bowling, game room, hayride and campfire. Absolutely an A+ for wonderful meals and service. We thank all at Winter Clove for our marvelous experience there.

Room Tip: Front rooms may be noisier if people gather later on the front porch. Rooms in the rear are quieter...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Pollace's Family Vacation Resort

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!