“Had a Great Stay”
Review of Winter Clove Inn

Winter Clove Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A group of 18 of us stayed at Winter Clove for a family reunion last weekend. We were given the whole top floor, which has many rooms (each with its own full bath) as well as a huge central living room with couches, a refrigerator, and a television- we had a blast spending our evenings hanging out all together in that upstairs living room. We enjoyed every meal- the options were surprisingly good, and always included a soup or salad and dessert. The breakfasts were the best- we left breakfast stuffed full each morning! The meals do take a while; however, we did have 18 people who were being served each meal at once so the delay was understandable. Our waitress Heather anticipated all of our needs and accomodated all of our requests- whether it was how we wanted the table configured or the amount of vegetarian meals we needed. She even made sure that at each meal my 1 year old son's place setting did not have a knife anywhere near it!
Our room was spotless, and the rest of the hotel charming. The owner and staff were all lovely and helpful. We all took great hikes on the beautiful property, and many of the adults and kids spent a lot of time in the indoor pool, while others had a blast at the bowling alley. There is a basketball court, playground and field that the children in our group also enjoyed. We have already booked our second reunion for next year at the Winter Clove.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We took 7 rooms for two nights for a family reunion. We all stayed in their little cottage down the road from the main inn......no updates whatsoever - felt like I was in the 1900's. The whole place reeked of Kerosene to the point of headaches. Free Wi-Fi....nope! We told them Friday night, Saturday and again Saturday night - finally got Wi-Fi Sunday morning at 1AM. Frustrating!

The worse part was the dining experiences - breakfast and lunch took 2+ hours and dinner took 3.5 hours.......no time to do anything unless you wanted to give up meals that you paid for. We were a table of 14 jammed into a corner where as the 14 year old waitress had to take orders from the end of the table. More then 50% of the orders came out wrong and that's unreal considering it was a limited menu of 2 entrees. Food started at one end of the table and had to be passed down instead of the waitress being able to deliver the food to each person. We would come in, sit down and wait a good 15-20 minutes before we got water (oh and we got pitchers but no glasses - that would take an additional 5-10 minutes longer). The last 8 people who ordered Steak tips were told 45 minutes later that they ran out of steak tips and had to have the pork. One night we were given 6 pieces of bread for out table of 10 - we asked for more bread, we were brought 4 more slices....when we asked for more, we were told they ran out of bread - either that or we were only allowed one piece per person. We had a vegetarian in the group and the Chef said she'd make something great for him, she had 24 hours to come up with a "great" meal - he was given raviolis - nothing creative.

They are definitely understaffed - probably one of the reasons it took so long to get service and/or our food. One waitress falls on a toy truck, another waitress drops a huge sheet cake - why she was carrying it by herself is beyond me - those poor people who lost their cake. A wedding party and our party donated our cakes to them. This is the night that they ran out of bread and steak. Oh and for dessert we were told "ice cream with any topping we'd like" I asked for "caramel" - nope. I asked for "Strawberry" - nope. Finally told "just chocolate" - ok well say that from the start not any topping you would like. Their staff needs training.

Oh and they advertise a "6 lane old time bowling alley" on property so we figured we'd go bowl and have some fun - oh, 5 lanes are broken - only 1 lane available and it was being used.

Upon our complaints, we did get a discount taken off our bill but I would have rather paid the full price and had a great experience then the discounted price and endure all we did. It was a family reunion so regardless, it was a wonderful get together - just wish it didn't come with so many frustrations.

We won't be back for sure. Sorry.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank SLB31
Wintercloveinn, Owner at Winter Clove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

We take guest feedback very seriously and our staff strives to make our guests feel comfortable and satisfied with their stay. As soon as you mentioned that you would prefer 2 tables next to each other in the dining room our staff immediately addressed your request and with your help set up two tables to make you more comfortable. Many of our guests ask to be at one large table, as I am typing this there is a family reunion of 18 at one table in our dining room as per their request.

Our meals, breads and desserts are freshly prepared every day. A large group came with many more people than they had reserved for. Unfortunately, yes we did run out of steak. Our chef Vanessa happily came out and spoke with the 8 people in your group as to the options she could prepare for them and everyone seemed pleased at the time.

The WIFI outage at the Oaks Cottage was reported to maintenance. They did attempt to re-boot the system. I did report to your group that we had contacted the cable company and they finally did correct the problem at the cottage.

We certainly wish you had come to the desk and told us about the kerosene smell at the Oaks Cottage previous to check out. As we could have quickly corrected the issue.

Thank you for staying at the Winter Clove Inn and for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very helpful. We will take a serious evaluation of our dining room seating arrangements as well as server training to ensure our future guests have a most enjoyable and comfortable stay at Winter Clove.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

It's not "the Ritz"... It's a great spot to bring family and have fun....it's clean, with great food and there's plenty to do. Kids can swim, sleigh ride, play games....go bowling......actually have the run of the house. New Year's Eve is wonderful...there's a band playing favorite songs to dance to....kids are right there on the dance floor having a great time....when they're ready for bed....no worries....put them to bed and you can come back down and enjoy the fun. Breakfast is casual....many kids in nighties....we love going to Winterclove....Bud and Lenore are wonderful hosts....our family has been going for years and will continue the tradition.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 91rivergirl4
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My family of five spent two nights at Winter Clove last weekend. We went with another family of five and the staff graciously gave us an extra room in the Oaks Cottage so we could spread out a bit more. I certainly have never had that happen before. Our rooms were right by the common area with the tv so with the extra guest room and the tv area, we had lots of space to spread out and relax.

We enjoyed cross country skiing and sledding at the Inn, although ironically, there was actually too much snow there and we had to ski and sled on the road! I think I aged a few years watching my kids sled down the sleep road but they loved it of course. The meals in the dining room were very good and although the selection of entrees is limited they accommodated my difficult family (son and I are very picky and daughter is a vegetarian). Our waitress, Colleen, was great, and put up with our loud behavior!

On our second day, our group went tubing at Windham and were able to get discount vouchers from Winter Clove ($17 for 4 hours versus $25 when you buy at Windham). I wouldn't recommend going there over President's weekend as we had to wait nearly an hour to exchange our vouchers for tickets and then deal with a long line for tubing. Plus, it was FREEZING out!
However, neither of these issues is the fault of Winter Clove, of course, and at least we got a discount!

I had read online that the indoor pool was a little cold but the owners must have rectified this because the pool was really warm while we were there. The kids enjoyed swimming both afternoons. Then after dinner we headed over to the bowling alley/arcade and had fun bowling, playing pool and ping pong - both kids and adults.

I knew from having friends who have been to Winter Clove that the accommodations are rustic and homey, not luxurious, so I was not disappointed. I suppose if you were expecting the Ritz, you might be alarmed. However, our room was warm and clean and since this was a getaway with the kids, those were really my only requirements. I loved not having to worry about where to find a restaurant for each meal that would make our group of 10 people happy and that wouldn't cost a fortune. And when we went to Windham we were able to bring a bagged lunch and save ourselves the cost and aggravation of trying to buy lunch in the overly crowded lodge.

In sum, I would definitely go back to Winter Clove again. My kids are already hoping to make this an annual President's Day weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had a amazing time here at winter clove inn staff was great if I didn't want or like something that was on the menu my server would go to the kitchen and make it happen. Rooms were clean my room was made up everyday during my stay. Will come back next winter. PS our meals are not the same without our Heather we will miss you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sally b
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I recently stayed at winter clove inn for an extended weekend with my family (children 8 & 17) and was pleasantly surprised. The location of the inn is amazing as it is at the end of the road and base of a mountain. The facilities an rooms were clean and welcoming.
We were a little shocked tht the room didn't have a tv however with everything there to do there is no need for a tv. Te bowling ally/game room was great fun at night.
The food was delicious not always a lot of options but excellent service and were always more than willing to modify the menu options to our desires.
Overall this is a great family destination, it was one I the most relaxing vacations I have ever been on and the kids never seemed to get bored. Sure certain aspects could use an upgrade but nothing hampered our enjoyment and the value was outstanding!!
P.S. We plan on returning this summer

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Chriszim11
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Everything about this place is perfect. We have been going for years and each year it gets a little better. The staff is fantastic, so warm and friendly. The new chef is amazing, every meal was great. The entire place was clean upon arrival and stayed that way throughout the visit. The trails were beautiful like always. We will continue to go for many years to come.

• Stayed: December 2013
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club
Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!