“Great place for a wedding--can't recommend it enough”
Review of Winter Clove Inn

and 1 more site!
Winter Clove Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We had our wedding here, and it was a fantastic experience. No, there are no flat screen TVs and they don't serve Cote du Rhone, so if that's what you're looking for, true, it's not for you (my note to the complainers out there). What it has is charm and sweetness, and the folks who run it are incredibly accommodating. We rented the entire place out for the whole weekend, bowling alley and all, and they allowed us to decorate as we saw fit (so long as we restored it after). They worked with us on the menu and even let us have a potluck one night. There are few places like this left in the Catskills (or anywhere for that matter), and we couldn't recommend it more, for reunions, weddings, weekend escapes. Perhaps the things some folks don't like about it--the lack of fanciness and haute cuisine--are what we loved, but even the most discerning of folks should be able to appreciate what a gem the Winter Clove is. And the grounds surrounding it are beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank altlisa

Reviewed 10 March 2009

My mother and I take a lot of trips to the Catskills, and this was the absolute WORST place we've ever stayed. Children ran around unsupervised (I'm not kidding when I tell you that I saw one child who had been running all over the inn fall down the stairs right in front of our eyes - thank god he was unhurt). The dining room was filthy (one child sat under her parents' table literally eating the food that had spilled on the floor), and the noise level was beyond unbelievable. We actually went to the bowling alley one night for peace and quiet! Please consider staying somewhere else - this is NOT the place for you, even with earplugs.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank WellHeeledGirl
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We are a Manhattan family with a new baby boy that stayed at WinterClove for the first time this March. It was a very pleasant experience. The negative posts have it all wrong - but make sure you know what you want. This is the classic upscale Catskills experience - a vintage Inn that is a piece of Americana that is not going to be around forever. Everything was clean - the food was way better than I expected and I still remember the sounds of the birds chirping during our sunrise walk even though firetruck sirens are going off outside my office. Its not a Marriot. It has trees and an Inn keeper who cares. We skied at Windham during the day and loved having dinner, swimming, bowling and all our needs on the property. We liked it so much we are going to go back in April.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2009

I recently returned from my second stay at Winter Clove. I think I enjoyed this trip even more than the first. Comfortable room, pleasant and attentive service and good food. I especially enjoyed the very friendly cat-in-residence, Clover, who kept me company a number of times.

One drawback for me was, as it is very family friendly, it was rather noisy at meals, due to parents' lack of child control.

I will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Couldn't wait to get home and on my computer to give rave reviews to the WinterClove Inn. Was a little leary after reading the previous (and VERY misinformed) previous review, but couldn't have been happier with our stay. Booked through a local knitting store, Our "Knitting Retreat" couldn't have picked a better spot. Rooms were quaint and spotless. Dining room staff was attentive and the food was top notch. Vegetarian dishes, not on the menu, were created on the spot for numerous veggies in our group.
No the Inn is not brand new, and is in need of a few repairs, but this in no way impacted our stay. Would highly recommend to anyone in search of a rustic, quaint, mountain retreat, complete with the fireplaces and dog on the front porch!

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We knew from others reviews that the property was questionable but we were traveling with friends and only staying 1 night. This property is DIRTY and I can't believe that they get away with charging good money for people to stay here. The second floor smelled like smoke and the rooms were filled with dusty old chotchkes. The bed we were forced to sleep in was probably as old as the Inn - 150 years!

Some people raved about the food but it made me sick. Further the kids menu was pizza. Luckily my kids eat pizza but some kids don't and some are allergic to cheese. Trust me it is not near any fast food places and driving can be tricky with no lights on the roads and lots of twists and turns.

The pool was fine but the bowling alley was depressing and filled with locales drinking and partying - not a place for kids.

BOTTOM LINE STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Suicu
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We just returned from a wonderful getaway at Winter Clove Inn. Since we booked late, we did not stay in the Main House (as we have been doing for our family Reunion for over 20 years), but in the Oaks Lodge; about a one minute walk to the Main House.
Our room was warm and welcoming, clean, and decorated in Early American. The view was beautiful, and everything was so peaceful in the Oaks Lodge. (Great for reading and "catching-up" with each other).
The skiers in our family skied Windham Mountain for 2 days. Our waitress, Brianna,packed them picnic lunches, to go-she thought of everything! Sandwiches, drinks, fruit, dessert, and lots of goodies to snack on. After a full day of skiing, the hearty dinner served at the Inn, really hit the spot. My husband, who's a bit of a gourmet cook, said the roast beef was the best he's ever had (he wants the recipe). My chicken was juicy and perfectly seasoned. There are foods that I have never had elsewhere, from fresh baked muffins and bread, to homemade soups. But my favorite is the good, old fashioned breakfasts-something we're always too rushed at home to have.
Our last day we decided to stay at the Inn and do some cross country skiing. all the equipement is free of charge! We had a blast!
To me, Winter Clove Inn is a great way to spend time with your family and friends. There is skiing, sledding, bowling, swimming (there's both an indoor and an outdoor pool), or toasting marshmallows at the Bon- Fire. In warmer weather there's miles of hiking trails, a covered bridge over a beautiful waterfall, (see if you can find the rock carving of Winter clove Inn, that's over 100 years old), tennis, a 9 hole golf course, basketball, volleyball, shuffleboard-there's a nice gift shop where you can buy local crafts, maple syrup, and cozy fleece sweatshirts. Our girls are already planning their next stay (a family reunion) in March at Winter Clove. Can't wait to go back to Winter Clove Inn!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Hunter
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Winter Clove Inn? Share your experiences!