“Great kids ski free and one of the best mountain bike parks”

Plattekill Mountain
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Roxbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall ... there's something for everyone at Plattekill Mountain. You'll find 38 exciting trails and more snowmaking this year! Only a couple hours from NYC, Plattekill offers a laid-back family atmosphere and unique vibe that is a true find. Family-owned and operated, Plattekill offers a personal appeal and caters to what they know best: skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking and having fun! Big mountain terrain and small mountain charm describes them best with a 3,500' elevation, 175" average annual snowfall, and a serious focus on trail and snowmaking improvements and quality. "Powder Puff," the most well-known trail, is a great 2-mile beginner cruiser and "Blockbuster," a resort fave, double black diamond, offering 1,100 feet of continuous vertical is sure to challenge the most advanced snowsport enthusiast. Choose from skiing, snowboarding, snowtubing and snowshoeing, outdoor fun awaits at Plattekill Mountain.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great kids ski free and one of the best mountain bike parks”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Plattekill in the winter is a great family ski area..with kids skiing free...no lines even on holidays. Also, they have tubing on the weekend - lots of fun. Lastly, in Spring, Summer, Fall - this is one of the best mountain biking resorts for the enthusiast.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank jencole88

Jersey City, NJ
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Place!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I LOVE this mountain. It's small and intimate, the terrain is challenging and there's a great bar in the lodge. On the downside if the snow isn't great it can be icy mess and they're unable to open all the trails. This winter because of the great snowfall they were able to open many trails I'd never skied on before. Staff and ski instructors are super nice and friendly. And the food upstairs is great - limited menu, but very good. They offer lessons and have childcare available.

2 Thank Plumstitches
Cherry Hill, NJ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

If you want "old school" charm - this is the place to go. It is remote but once you get there it's like going back in time. The staff is friendly, food prices are really reasonable and the mountain is great! Went on Liftopia and got a Saturday lift ticket for $36 - a real bargain for the quality of mountain. Definitely going back!

New York City, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“VERY NICE”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great ski area! Friendly staff and just beautiful! There is a bar and restaurant area which makes the end of the ski day even more fun!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Love this place...for more than just skiing!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I'm a novice skier from Philadelphia...however, my partner LOVES skiing and has spent many years skiing in Colorado. Last year we found this wonderful ski resort in the Catskills, Plattekill Mountain, that she says reminds her of trails in Colorado, which wind around the mountain and take a while before finally reaching the bottom. Because she loves skiing so much, I agreed to "learn to ski" in hopes of eventually enjoying the sport together.

So I have 2 specific things that I am so impressed about at Plattekill: Let me begin by RAVING over my first ski lesson last year to give a backdrop to my latter point...I had the most incredible instructors--wound up being a father-daughter team, Bill Maderno and Rosie. I wound up getting a private lesson by default last year bc not enough beginners were there on that ridiculously sub-degree day for a group lesson. The time spent with them is truly the reason I'm now able to ski the slopes this year...they were AWESOME instructors (and I now know w/ some comparison b/c I took another "refresher" lesson this year in a group and realized how amazing my lesson with them truly was)! In addition to teaching excellent basic skills, Bill genuinely instills confidence and hope in a way I did not believe was possible in such a caring and warm way (I was honestly TERRIFIED once I got on my skis, wanting to quit b/f I even began...never dreaming that my second time back to Plattekill this year I'd be able to ski together with my partner--albeit a bit slower--all the way down the trail together!)--it is SO much fun!! I HIGHLY recommend getting a lesson w/ Bill (and Rosie if they are doing them together) if you want an INCREDIBLE instructor and a lesson that will honestly teach you how to ski!!

My next experience to RAVE about is regarding the owner of Plattekill, Laszlo Vajtay. My partner and I had such a BLAST this past weekend at Plattekill, now that we are able to enjoy runs down the mountain together :) ...and the BEST part of the trip was the surprise SNOW we had yesterday...the mountain magically transformed into a winter wonderland...and the mountain became even more AMAZING to ski down (not to mention how breathtakingly beautiful the trees suddenly became before our eyes)!! Having so much fun in the beautiful snow coming down, it did not occur to either of us to leave early due to the snow covered roads and not having an SUV or vehicle that is great in snow...

So as we finally leave towards the end of the day, there are people in the lots directing traffic. Our vehicle began spinning wheels and was seemingly stuck. Fortunately, a man working there came over and gave very clear directions for getting out and down the mountain. Everything he said worked beautifully. However, further down the road, the snow turned very icy and our vehicle actually slid into an embankment. We were not sure what to do, as people pulled over to help push us out but the car would not budge. So we called back to the ski lodge and the same man who helped us out of the parking lot answered. As we told him what happened and described our car to him he immediately responded, "Oh no! I just got you out of the lot...we will be right down to help you out!" Much to our surprise, it wound up being the OWNER of Plattekill mountain, Laszlo Vajtay!! I cannot honestly describe the amount of genuine care and concern he had for us getting out safely. Not only was he an expert in knowing how to navigate such treacherous roads, he became our ANGEL who rescued us from being stuck in the snow...

Because he recognized how dangerous it was for us to be driving with the tires we had, he had someone follow us in a tow truck as he volunteered to drive our car all the way out to the main road (a few miles away!), where it was flat and less icy...We could not have been more relieved, b/c clearly we would have wound up stuck in another embankment due to the hills and icy turns there were getting out to the main road. Laszlo wound up being such a wonderful man--we thoroughly enjoyed talking with him while he drove the car, getting to hear the amazing story of his passion for Plattekill and how he acquired ownership of the mountain 20 years ago...clearly his passion for skiing and for his customers came through on this experience! My partner and I were both soooo impressed that the owner of the ski mountain actually got involved and made sure we were ok, going ABOVE & BEYOND the call of duty!! We cannot adequately convey our gratitude for his assistance! We look forward to returning very soon for the slopes at Plattekill (but this time we'll rent an SUV :) and hope more people discover and experience the wonderful ski resort that we have found!!

Visited December 2013