“Keeping up Tradition”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roxbury
The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roxbury
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been coming to The Roxbury for Labor Day weekend for several years now however this year was a bit different because we have a new addition to our family! I had no idea last Labor Day I was pregnant. We visited for my birthday this past December and celebrated New Year's Eve. When the staff found out we were pregnant they were as excited as our families! A Roxbury onsie was left in our room with a note of congratulations. It was so thoughtful, however money was very tight and we had to cancel our usual plans for Labor Day. Well we couldn't stay away and decided to go for a day trip. The Busk and Bard festival was in full effect for the second year. It was a great time had by all! The stars were aligned for us because there was a room available and The Roxbury accommodated us wonderfully! It was a getaway that was much needed! We stayed in Room 8 of the original building. The room was very very comfortable and so relaxing! My baby loved the room and was very entertained by the decor and slept forgive the pun like a baby! The room was so quiet, we didn't hear our neighbors nd our neighbors didn't seem to hear our hungry baby in the middle of the night. Now I can add another reason why The Roxbury is my favorite place to be, super kid friendly!!! I can't wait until next year! By then baby should be walking and we will be off and running behind
him! Cheers to new traditions!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank mimijohn
There are newer reviews for The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging

Reviewed 29 August 2013

A recent stop over in Roxbury, at The Roxbury became a memorable experience for my husband and I, along with our travelling companions.. We had the sublime pleasure of staying overnight in the Shagadelic room..... Every possible detail was covered with almost OCD attention, right down to the autographed photo of "Austin Powers" just inside the door... the luxurious soaps and lotions and great amenities made for an unforgettable experience. While the inside of the rooms are fantastic the exterior areas do not disappoint at all.... the wonderful lime green doors and balcony area with lime green " wing backs " just add to the overall ambience.. I would return tomorrow!

Room Tip: Any room you choose is bound to make you smile!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 50Italyfan
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I just came back from getting engaged during a one-night stay at "The Digs", the newest themed suite at the Roxbury. My fiance could not have chosen a more romantic, magical and swank setting. I was ushered into the suite by Gregory, who had taken time out of the busy midday to play a part in my boyfriends "scavenger hunt." When I headed in past the Bali-esque dining area and the living room steeping in the golden glow of its fireplace, and then toward the exotic and poisonous fish aquarium, I said to Gregory "Where's my boyfriend? No way he'd want to miss the discovery of this place!" As I made my way through the "secret rooms", I eventually discovered him under a sapphire, star-studded sky behind a huge stone face secret door. Was it a perfect night outside? No! The sky was one of many other beautiful and artistic details in these accomodations. What stikes me about all The Roxbury (we have been here once before and have taken a tour of some of the other rooms) is that each room's mix of fantastical and authentic elements.

Room Tip: Check out the wesite first!
1  Thank Erika C
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We just got home today from a weekend at The Roxbury and had to make sure we added to their glowing reviews. What an amazing experience! We stayed in the Coconut Cream Pie room and loved it. We had a couples' massage at the spa and it was a fabulous--I've actually never had a massage before, and they did such a nice job of making me feel comfortable and relaxed. It was the best experience with overall "vibe" of any place we've ever been to. Every staff person we encountered was over-the-top friendly and helpful, and it really sets the tone of the place; it makes all the guests feel chilled out and friendly, too. It is in an extremely rural area, so be prepared for quiet--we went on a hike, did zip lining (awesome) and drove 30 minutes or so to the Peekamoose Restaurant for an excellent dinner. We were tired at the end of both days and perfectly happy to relax in the room with a Netflix movie. We will be back in the winter to go skiing and check out another themed room!

2  Thank Quinn77
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The Roxbury is by far the quirkiest, and one of the most fun, places I have ever stayed.

It is comprised of a few beautiful, funky buildings and impeccably manicured lawns and gardens, and the rooms are comfortable, well-appointed, and a hell of a lot of fun.

In addition to the funky themed items, comfortable beds and couches, and luxurious bathrooms, the Noir Budoir room was also well stocked with: well-priced wine ($20 bottles); soft, fluffy robes; foam spa sandals; flat screen TVs; Netflix; and more. FYI: for "cleanliness" I rated The Roxbury a 4/5 only because the chandeliers and some other appointments in the Noir Budoir room looked a bit dusty, but otherwise the place is impeccably clean and well cared for.

The staff were all extremely kind and helpful and seem prepared for just about everything: when we asked for directions to Alder Lake they also gave us tote bags packed with sheets, towels, and bottled water to take along with us (on the house!).

The breakfast spread--fruit, yogurt, pastries, cheese, cold cuts, and more--is excellent, and you can enjoy your breakfast in the dining room, in the screened porch, or outside by the fire pit table overlooking the lawns. The staff has excellent recommendations for off-site cafes and restaurants as well, and most are under 30 minutes away (some just a walk down the street).

The grounds are gorgeous and have many different types of lounging chairs, perfect for reading, chatting, or sipping on some wine.

Both spas are clean and tastefully decorated, but the facilities are small, so do be patient if other guests are enjoying them, and don't hog the jacuzzi or saunas for too long if others are waiting to use them.

As Roxbury is a tiny town, and the Roxbury Motel does not have its own restaurant, I recommend finding out if your room has a fridge and microwave, and stopping in Margaretville to stock up and snacks and other edibles and imbibables.

My friends and I had an amazing weekend and are already planning our next trip back!

Room Tip: There are so many options to choose from! Check the descriptions, sizes, prices, layouts, etc. and c...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
TheRoxbury, Owner at The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thank you so much for this amazing review! So well thought-out and detailed. We love it when our "details" are noticed to this degree. Our apologies if the chandeliers and some other items in the Noir Boudoir looked a bit "dusty." This is actually done on purpose due to the Adam's Family inspiration of the room. I can assure you that the room itself is very very clean, but during the height of the summer high season when we are so busy, this is the only room where we don't bring out the extension ladders and other equipment necessary to dust the large black chandeliers (which show every spec of dust within moments after cleaning) and suit of armor, etc. The week after Labor Day weekend, they all get dusted and polished, but until that time I tell my staff that a cobweb or two in the chandelier is actually acceptable in this suite because of the spider-themed shower curtain and cabinet pulls, etc. But perhaps that sends the wrong message, so we'll discontinue that practice for this suite. Thanks for pointing this out!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stumbled across the Roxbury when looking for somewhere to zipline. Hunter Mountain Zipline tours website listed the Roxbury as a choice. Looked pretty neat so I went to tripadviser for reviews and they were excellent and the couple people that didn't rate it well where obviously rating it poor for personal reasons. So mainly based on reviews I called and booked the upstairs downstairs for two nights. I asked about the Zipline tours and they were very helpful and booked the skyline tour for me and charged it to my card. Very easy directions and upon arrival they were very pleasant. The room was stunning, the staff very helpful and the grounds neat and clean. We loved all the little details on and within the building. The room was very spacious, could have slept easily 5-7 people but it was just the two of use. Fridge in room with microwave, every room had its own TV and dvd player. We bought the extra spa package and was well worth it. Thank you Roxbury for the great stay! We'll be back!

Room Tip: I believe the themed rooms are all new in 2010 so if you like new and updated these would be the one...
2  Thank Brad N
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This year our family of 5 stayed in Genie's Bottle and it was perfect, perfect, perfect!

I don't even know what to say! We love this place so much. What better way to get away from it all than to come to the peaceful town of Roxbury and stay at one of the most unique hotels on Earth?

What do we love about it?

The accommodations are fun, funky and spotless. The staff are polite, kind and helpful, always ready to stop in their tracks to answer a question, help plan a hike, advise where to go for dinner, or make you a reservation.

The breakfast spread is fresh, delicious and lasts until 11:00 AM. Love that with sleepy teenagers.

There are two amazing spas with unlimited access for $20/stay. Fresh lemon water and snacks are provided at both, along with showers stocked with every toiletry you could need. We got massages (extra charge) and were impressed with the professionalism of the therapists, Jason and Annilee.

The Roxbury has the best hotel owners! Just ask and Greg and Joe will find the answer. They're super-friendly yet respectful of your need for privacy. (Our kids eat gluten-free. I mentioned it and VOILA! the next day, gluten-free bread and cereal magically appeared at the breakfast spread. Thank you!)

We were grateful for the peace and quiet. Activities abound off site, so if you want to go do something, it's as easy as taking a drive. For relaxing and chilling, the Roxbury is it. We were so thrilled to stay at a place where there isn't a ton of noise and craziness going on. Did I mention we have teenagers? They weren't bored at all. They said it was nice to take a break from their cell phones (service is found on the deck). For stuff to do, this year we hiked and took a day trip to Woodstock. Plus it was fun to go for a drive or a walk to dinner. Win/win!

At check-out time, you can ask to see some of the other rooms and suites. It's a great way to see the accommodations up close and personal. The pictures on the website are helpful, but trust me when I say they are awesome times a million in person.

We found this year that we didn't want to leave at the end of our stay. The same thing happened last year. (See my review of George's Spacepad, called, "We didn't want to leave!" )

The Roxbury has a Facebook page with lots of pictures posted to help you get an idea if you are wondering if this place is for you. We cannot wait to return next year.

Room Tip: We loved being near the deck firepit and breakfast area. There's a beautiful view of the ground...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roxbury
Hotel Vienna
Margaretville Mountain Inn
Margaretville Mountain Inn
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club

Been to The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging? Share your experiences!