“You can observe ART or you can LIVE in it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roxbury
The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roxbury
Bronx, New York
“You can observe ART or you can LIVE in it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I’ve admired The Roxbury Motel for years now so when my boyfriend suggested we venture up north I didn’t think twice. Given the opportunity, of course I chose the suite with my favorite movie’s theme, The Wizard’s Emerald. I was a little apprehensive because I had built up my expectations and I didn’t want to be disappointed. Fortunately the experience was everything I dreamed of and more than I expected.

The motel grounds are immaculately kept. Even in light of all the snow and ice they’ve been hit with, they worked tirelessly to make sure everything was clean and safe for all guests. First thing my boyfriend and I did when we arrived was hit up the hot tub and sauna. There were plenty of towels and great amenities in the stone tiled shower. After a divine soak in their serene atmosphere we headed back to the room so that I could prepare for my massage at the Shimmer Spa. As we were crossing the street to return to our room I spotted Greg, one of the owners, coming our way. I told myself I wouldn’t geek out, but what can I say, he’s my rock star. I immediately showered him with compliments and was pleasantly not surprised by his humility and outgoing personality. After chatting it up he offered my boyfriend a discounted rate, (a steal), for a massage of his own seeing as another guest had a last minute cancellation. We gladly accepted and both went on our way to the spa.

The spa was incredibly beautiful and tastefully decorated. The steam room, infused with relaxing scents, was an oasis of relaxation. They gave us the option of a couples massage or individual massages. I preferred an individual massage with a female and he with a male. The masseuses were both accommodating and professional. Our experience was so enjoyable that during my massage I often heard my boyfriend laughing out loud with his masseuse in the other room. Testament that everywhere you go at The Roxbury you make friends! Even as we lounged in the spa, post massage, we met another lovely couple and had a good conversation. Turns out they were also from the New York City and were on one of their many visits to try out the rooms. It was nearing our reservation time at the Public Lounge so we made our way back and prepared for dinner.

Public Lounge was a charming little restaurant/lounge. It’s incredibly convenient because it’s a few steps away from the Roxbury. We were immediately seated and although the service was a little slow we didn’t mind because everyone was so nice and their signature drinks were delicious. Speaking of delicious, the appetizers and steak were delectable! Needless to say I gorged on everything and got quite tipsy from the drinks (Don’t judge me, no one was driving home)

We returned to the room, and yet again I was entranced. There is so much I could tell you but I would hate to ruin all the details that have gone into Greg’s work of art. I will say that the room was immaculately clean. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I should know because I laid awake most of the night because of the entire day’s excitement. The two person tub with double shower heads was a wonderful retreat. I could go on and on.

I’m forgetting the best part of my stay… After dinner we returned to our room and my boyfriend and I cuddled on the bed whilst admiring the chandelier overhead and mural across the room. Unbeknownst to me, he had arranged for champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be brought to our room and had also hidden two cameras in the room. As we cuddled he spoke of his love for me and played with the ring on my left hand. I always wear my favorite ring on either ring finger and he makes a point to play with it whenever we are lounging. He will often take it off and put it on his pinky finger. Only this time instead of putting it back on he placed a diamond ring on my hand and asked me to marry him. Of course I squealed and said yes!

The next morning the sun shined brighter, but maybe I was biased. We ate breakfast in yet another immaculately decorated lounging area. While eating we met the other owner, Joseph, who was just as nice. Greg was there and we caught up with my rock star yet again. He shared in my excitement as I shared the details of the proposal. Turns out he was in on it too, sneaky – sneaky

The place I admired for so long became the setting for the first day of the rest of my life. I love The Roxbury Motel and can only sing it’s praises! I know this review is longer than you care to read, but if I haven’t lost you yet, thank you for reading and I hope your stay will be just as memorable as mine. Don’t delay – Make a reservation! Oh, and if you stay at the Wizard’s Emerald, say hello for me!

4 Thank Celeida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The reviews are all correct! We just returned from a great weekend here. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms and it was still incredible. The staff goes out of their way to make everything perfect. The little things really put this place over the top. The beds are very comfortable, the towels are the softest I have ever used, and the spas are so relaxing. Thank you for helping to make my wife's birthday so special!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This trip was my second time at the Roxbury in 6 months. In November my long-time boyfriend and I stayed in the Patridge Nest and loved it so much that we returned with another couple to stay in the Noir Boudoir. By the end of our first night there they were already discussing which room they are going to stay in when they come back.

I could wax poetic about the decor of the rooms for pages, but suffice to say "God is in the details" and they nailed it. The care, thought, and love put into all of the rooms and details of the hotel is entirely clear and totally enjoyable.

The Boudior is very well suited for two couples. Ample shared space for games, drinks (there is a wet bar with amazing tile), watching the Addams Family, socializing; as well as plenty of private space. I think the layout is the same for several of the suites, an upstairs room and a downstairs room, which is really perfect.

We spent quite a bit of time "Spa Hopping" enjoying the various steam rooms and the hot tub. Definitely worth the nominal fee if only to gaze at a snow covered mountain while you are in a hot tub. Plus you need the steam room to shed the pounds you put on at the yummy and oh so decadent breakfast spread.

Two of us also got a couples massages from awesome massage therapists. Although it was more than I would usually spend on a massage, it was well worth the money. Easily the best massage I have ever gotten.

Last, but in no way least, is the staff. The staff is really what will keep us coming back again and again. Greg, the owner (or one of them, not sure!), is super friendly and his enthusaim for the hotel and the surrounding area is catching. Colleen who works at the front desk, is a freaking rockstar. We had a lot of requests and she was amazing with each one. I've never asked someone else to make dinner reservations for me before, but because of the lack of cell service I asked her to both nights we were there. Not only was it totally smooth both times, when we went to Peekamoose she somehow snagged us a reservation which wasn't available on their website AND they sent over a little treat while we were there.

I can't wait to go back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ehintze
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from an amazing stay at the Roxbury with Audrey Hepburn for company - along with the tiara's (we were in ...the Golightly a Go-Go room)...I had already stalked the website a thousand times and read through the great reviews, being there in a person is just a fabulous experience!! The staff was great even before we got there...Colleen and Lynda helped me arranged a birthday surprise with a cake (which we couldn't have enough of) and some pretty ballons to add to the birthday surprise - it really did surprise our birthday boy...thanks for all your help Collen and Lynda!!! When you have such a great staff, the stay is so much more better. The breakfasts always felt so warm - with Greg - inspite being so busy - is always around to keep you company and give you great suggestions. The dinner at Peekamoose was so much special thanks to the influence of the Roxbury folks. The shimmering spa was a great experience as well with Jason as our masseur There is no doubt that this place is awesome in terms of infrastructure and creativity - but most importantly it's the warmth of the staff and the owners that makes the stay more memorable.

Room Tip: Have a look at their website to select a room that suits your taste.
1 Thank Rocky D
Franklin Square, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Loved it. the place is so unique and cute. The room (Go Lightly) was smallish but decorated so adorably with nice touches, fluffy towels, little chocolate by the bed. They consolidate and donate any unused shampoos, etc to needy countries which I loved.

A few minor complaints, I stayed there 2 nights and showered 4 times due to snowboarding, going out at night, etc. They didn't replenish my shampoos or other shower items once during my whole stay. I'm sure I could have requested it but I didn't want to wait when I was about to shower so luckily I packed my own. Also, it's close to several ski/snowboard mountains but the continental breakfast they offer isn't ready for those who are up early to go skiing!

The front desk staff was very nice, they even made a reservation for us at a nearby restaurant, and were happy to give local info. There's a binder with info to local restaurants which we found helpful too. Super unique place i'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Go Lightly is on the ground floor, with a back door out to the yard, gazebo, etc. It was smallish, b...
1 Thank 11222
TheRoxbury, Owner at The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! And thank you for noticing our towels and some of our other items. Guests do not often realize it, but towels are an enormous expense and we use the same towels as several hotel brands that charge more than triple our rates. Regarding your complaints, we were very dismayed to learn that your shampoos were not replaced! That is certainly not our policy and I hope you will believe me when I tell you that we go through countless boxes of our signature lather bath products per week because we err on the side of replacing the bottles even when they look like they do not need to be replaced. And not that it is any excuse, but the company recently changed their packaging so it is very difficult for us to tell how much is left inside of a bottle. In an effort to be environmentally conscious, it is true that we do not replace them during a stay if they still look half full, so perhaps a housekeeper made a mistake and assumed you still had enough. I’m not sure how long you stayed with us, but you mentioned that you showered four times, so if you stay with us again in the future, please do not hesitate to dial zero from your phone and ask for more amenities. We will bring them to you right away. Or if we know you are coming, we will have lots of amenities waiting for you.

Regarding the breakfast, our breakfast is open and ready at 8:00am. The ski mountains open at 9:00am, so over the years we have learned that for most people that is early enough. We also have spas that stay open until 8:00pm and we are required to always have staffing for our spas, so it is also a challenge to balance the amount of staffing and hours of operation that makes sense for such a small hotel. To get breakfast and the spas open by 8:00am, staffing must start at 6:30am and with the spas open until 8:00pm, staffing must stay until at least 9:30 or 10:00pm for nightly cleaning. Some guests want our spas open later, others want breakfast out earlier, but we just do not have the budget to facilitate a 24-hour operation. And because of all of the amenities and perks we provide for what we feel is a reasonable room rate, we already have difficulty justifying many of our costs.

Regarding the “smallish” room, you stayed in one of our five “studio theme rooms.” They are indeed smaller and that is why their rate is lower than our “big” king themes, our suites, and other rooms. Their perk, however, especially in the summer is their second door out onto the backyard. I hope you will come and see us in the summer and stay in one of those rooms and experience the beautiful view out onto the back grounds.

Thank you for allowing me to elaborate and we hope to see you again at The Roxbury! And if you come to see us again and need to leave earlier than when breakfast is put out, please let us know and we will provide you with a box breakfast to take with you to the slopes. We do it frequently.
New City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent a recent weekend at the Hotel with my husband and another couple. Our room was the Miss Kitty Suite. It was wonderfully decorated and very clean. I slept very well on the bed. We enjoyed the continental breakfast which included many selections. As I am not a winter person, we did not venture out too much but did walk in to the small town and had lunch at Cassies which was very good. The owner of the hotel, Greg was very gracious and told us the history of the hotel and even shared some new decorating ideas. After telling us how beautiful it is in the summer, we decided to book a suite for July. The Publick, across the street from the hotel offers good food and the atmosphere was very friendly. You must try this hotel!

1 Thank Jennifer H
Lake Ariel PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed in the Final Frontier room at the Roxbury. Everything about this hotel is five star. The owners could not be nicer or more accomodating. The entire staff goes out of their way to be helpful. The little snack room is beautiful and the coffee and the hot chocolate could not be more out of this world. The room was spectacular, even the town of Roxbury is amazing. Everyone should stay here at least once!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kidsensation23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roxbury
Hotel Vienna
#5 of 6 in Hunter
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging? Share your experiences!