“Pure magic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roxbury
The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roxbury
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked 3 nights in the "Genie's Bottle" suite for our recent trip to NY State. My kids summed it up perfectly - "This is the best place we've ever stayed in Dad!". As well as the eye-popping (but very well executed) decor, the suite was spacious and immaculately clean. Service was great too as was the included breakfast. Roxbury is a quiet little place, but there are plenty of sights within easy driving distance. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew T
There are newer reviews for The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging

Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is not just a place to stay, it is truly an amazing experience! You will appreciate the attention to detail that is found in every room and around every corner. The concept and creativity are pure genius! The owners and staff at the Roxbury are wonderful and provide exceptional customer service from check in to check out. The rooms were stunning. The thoughtful extras that were included (bottled water and chocolates) added such a personal touch. Thank you for making my husband's 50th Birthday such an awesome event!

Room Tip: Each room is unique and amazing. You cannot choose a bad room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank aljpreston
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Absolutely loved this fun, quirky place for so many reasons. The owners are on premise and amazing. Their attention to detail and cleanliness is top of the line. They offer the best span products in the bathrooms and I loved the little notes you read along the way. Perfect romantic getaway. Perfect for a girls weekend or otherwise.

Room Tip: Not really a fitness center except for mind and soul. Loved the spa! We had the smallest inexpensi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had been dreading my 35th birthday for awhile (I could no longer say I was in my early 30s!) and knew that as much as my husband tried to make me have a great day and weekend, it was not going to happen.
And then he brought me to the Roxbury, and I instantly knew I was wrong.
Regardless of what room you get, or how small "downtown" may be, you cannot help but appreciate every detail that goes into the place. Not only did I love our room, but also the small touches through out the hotel - the murals on the stairwells, the chairs along the water, the amenities in the spa (even disposable razors!)...there really was no end to all of the special touches and personalized services. When we arrived, in addition to the birthday package my husband had ordered, the owners provided a split of champagne and with a note of birthday wishes.
I've read reviews about there being nothing to do in town. We ate at a few places, went on some walks, hit the general store for a souvenior for our son, etc. It's not NYC, but if you're going to Roxbury, that's perfectly fine. There is so much to enjoy there (the beautiful rooms, the relaxing spas, the company you came with) that we never felt like we needed anything more.
If you're considering making a reservation, do it! It's fun, quirky and relaxing all at once. We plan to return; the way we see it, with all the different themed rooms, it'll be a new experience each time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HBowden
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I’ve admired The Roxbury Motel for years now so when my boyfriend suggested we venture up north I didn’t think twice. Given the opportunity, of course I chose the suite with my favorite movie’s theme, The Wizard’s Emerald. I was a little apprehensive because I had built up my expectations and I didn’t want to be disappointed. Fortunately the experience was everything I dreamed of and more than I expected.

The motel grounds are immaculately kept. Even in light of all the snow and ice they’ve been hit with, they worked tirelessly to make sure everything was clean and safe for all guests. First thing my boyfriend and I did when we arrived was hit up the hot tub and sauna. There were plenty of towels and great amenities in the stone tiled shower. After a divine soak in their serene atmosphere we headed back to the room so that I could prepare for my massage at the Shimmer Spa. As we were crossing the street to return to our room I spotted Greg, one of the owners, coming our way. I told myself I wouldn’t geek out, but what can I say, he’s my rock star. I immediately showered him with compliments and was pleasantly not surprised by his humility and outgoing personality. After chatting it up he offered my boyfriend a discounted rate, (a steal), for a massage of his own seeing as another guest had a last minute cancellation. We gladly accepted and both went on our way to the spa.

The spa was incredibly beautiful and tastefully decorated. The steam room, infused with relaxing scents, was an oasis of relaxation. They gave us the option of a couples massage or individual massages. I preferred an individual massage with a female and he with a male. The masseuses were both accommodating and professional. Our experience was so enjoyable that during my massage I often heard my boyfriend laughing out loud with his masseuse in the other room. Testament that everywhere you go at The Roxbury you make friends! Even as we lounged in the spa, post massage, we met another lovely couple and had a good conversation. Turns out they were also from the New York City and were on one of their many visits to try out the rooms. It was nearing our reservation time at the Public Lounge so we made our way back and prepared for dinner.

Public Lounge was a charming little restaurant/lounge. It’s incredibly convenient because it’s a few steps away from the Roxbury. We were immediately seated and although the service was a little slow we didn’t mind because everyone was so nice and their signature drinks were delicious. Speaking of delicious, the appetizers and steak were delectable! Needless to say I gorged on everything and got quite tipsy from the drinks (Don’t judge me, no one was driving home)

We returned to the room, and yet again I was entranced. There is so much I could tell you but I would hate to ruin all the details that have gone into Greg’s work of art. I will say that the room was immaculately clean. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I should know because I laid awake most of the night because of the entire day’s excitement. The two person tub with double shower heads was a wonderful retreat. I could go on and on.

I’m forgetting the best part of my stay… After dinner we returned to our room and my boyfriend and I cuddled on the bed whilst admiring the chandelier overhead and mural across the room. Unbeknownst to me, he had arranged for champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be brought to our room and had also hidden two cameras in the room. As we cuddled he spoke of his love for me and played with the ring on my left hand. I always wear my favorite ring on either ring finger and he makes a point to play with it whenever we are lounging. He will often take it off and put it on his pinky finger. Only this time instead of putting it back on he placed a diamond ring on my hand and asked me to marry him. Of course I squealed and said yes!

The next morning the sun shined brighter, but maybe I was biased. We ate breakfast in yet another immaculately decorated lounging area. While eating we met the other owner, Joseph, who was just as nice. Greg was there and we caught up with my rock star yet again. He shared in my excitement as I shared the details of the proposal. Turns out he was in on it too, sneaky – sneaky

The place I admired for so long became the setting for the first day of the rest of my life. I love The Roxbury Motel and can only sing it’s praises! I know this review is longer than you care to read, but if I haven’t lost you yet, thank you for reading and I hope your stay will be just as memorable as mine. Don’t delay – Make a reservation! Oh, and if you stay at the Wizard’s Emerald, say hello for me!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Celeida
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

The reviews are all correct! We just returned from a great weekend here. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms and it was still incredible. The staff goes out of their way to make everything perfect. The little things really put this place over the top. The beds are very comfortable, the towels are the softest I have ever used, and the spas are so relaxing. Thank you for helping to make my wife's birthday so special!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This trip was my second time at the Roxbury in 6 months. In November my long-time boyfriend and I stayed in the Patridge Nest and loved it so much that we returned with another couple to stay in the Noir Boudoir. By the end of our first night there they were already discussing which room they are going to stay in when they come back.

I could wax poetic about the decor of the rooms for pages, but suffice to say "God is in the details" and they nailed it. The care, thought, and love put into all of the rooms and details of the hotel is entirely clear and totally enjoyable.

The Boudior is very well suited for two couples. Ample shared space for games, drinks (there is a wet bar with amazing tile), watching the Addams Family, socializing; as well as plenty of private space. I think the layout is the same for several of the suites, an upstairs room and a downstairs room, which is really perfect.

We spent quite a bit of time "Spa Hopping" enjoying the various steam rooms and the hot tub. Definitely worth the nominal fee if only to gaze at a snow covered mountain while you are in a hot tub. Plus you need the steam room to shed the pounds you put on at the yummy and oh so decadent breakfast spread.

Two of us also got a couples massages from awesome massage therapists. Although it was more than I would usually spend on a massage, it was well worth the money. Easily the best massage I have ever gotten.

Last, but in no way least, is the staff. The staff is really what will keep us coming back again and again. Greg, the owner (or one of them, not sure!), is super friendly and his enthusaim for the hotel and the surrounding area is catching. Colleen who works at the front desk, is a freaking rockstar. We had a lot of requests and she was amazing with each one. I've never asked someone else to make dinner reservations for me before, but because of the lack of cell service I asked her to both nights we were there. Not only was it totally smooth both times, when we went to Peekamoose she somehow snagged us a reservation which wasn't available on their website AND they sent over a little treat while we were there.

I can't wait to go back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ehintze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roxbury
Hotel Vienna
Margaretville Mountain Inn
Margaretville Mountain Inn
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club

Been to The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging? Share your experiences!