“Our Official Labor Day Weekend Getaway for life or I left my heart at The Roxbury”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Roxbury
The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roxbury
Belleville, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 September 2009

If you want to feel refreshed, relaxed and renewed stay at this hotel!
The rooms are so fabulous and not for the faint of heart or those who fear color, the attention to detail is profound. Yeah, that is a ribbon tied around the toliet paper, who does that?! The Roxbury, that's who.
The team at The Roxbury really made our trip. The service here is for lack of a better world is OUTSTANDING. Greg, Joe, Leslie, Karina and the rest of the team really go above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and special. Everything was so decadent yet understated and humble. Breakfast was simple yet gourmet. Still trying to track down the Mimosa jam!!! The wine and cheese platter were to die for and it sustained us for snacking during our entire stay. I would kill for that coffee crumb cake as well.
What I loved most about this place is how they incorporate the community and surrounding communities into their business. The Roxbury compiled an extensive list of places to eat in the surrounding villages...that's how I gained two pounds. We loved the Shimmer Spa and were totally relaxed. It's small and intimate and the jacuzzi was so relaxing. Be sure to stay hydrated with the lemon or cucumber infused water. Grab a cookie. Next time we'll take out a movie and play a board game, we were just too busy at the fire pit during the crisp evenings.
They support their town and in turn the town appreciates your business. I have never encountered so many friendly people in my life. And I would like to add that some of those individuals were former Jersey residents, how do you like them apples!
At this time I would like to mention Karina. This young woman went above and beyond her call of duty along with Greg by making arrangements for my husband and I to participate in the Turn of the Century festivites. We got real dolled up and hit the town and partied like it was 1899! The ladies at the Public Lounge were such sweethearts and we really enjoyed our libations both at the lounge and at the festival.
There is a strong sense of community and pride at Roxbury. These people are good people to the core and I fell in love from the moment I stepped foot on the porch. We decided within five minutes that we would stay every Labor Day. This place is a gem, and they give all and give back. Can't wait to go back.....maybe my birthday?! Hmmmm. Sounds like a plan.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
highland park, nj
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My husband and I are already plotting our return to this incredible gem in the Catskills. We wanted a couple of nights of relaxation and we were very happy with our choice. We stayed in the awesome Holly go Lightly room. It was impeccably clean and whimsically decorated. The staff were incredibly helpful, the location was quiet and in close driving proximity to some great hiking trails.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We originally visited in the winter-time (January), and the Roxbury was incredible. However, to really appreciate it, I now feel that SUMMER is when it truly blooms and shines.

What I liked about the hotel:
1. It's semi-hidden and very "local." I mean it's not a big chain, and the hotel has relationships with several local establishments including restaurants, attractions, and outdoor places. This is EXTREMELY helpful in planning what you want to do during your stay. The nicest part is when you tell people you've been recommended by the Roxbury because they seem to treat you with a little *extra* courtesy.

2. The details. Every room has it's own unique personality with it's own charms. I love the paintings, the tiles in some of the bathrooms, the amenities like the Spa and fire place the patio, fire pit on the lawn, gazebo, sun chairs, the products in the bathrooms, the pillows, the color schemes, etc. You can tell they put a lot of time into these rooms to make them feel much more homey. They are all like the kind of decorating we WISH we had at our homes!

3. The service. Gregg, Leslie, Joseph, and Emily really run a tight ship. That being said, it's also the friendliest, warmest place I've ever been. Even though they are busy running things and developing new ideas, they are always willing to help you with ANYTHING you need or just have a friendly chat to get to know you. They know everyone by name, and get to know what kind of things you like for your stay.

What I don't like:
1. Nothing, except that it's so far away from where I live now.

This is the type of place to go to if you like to do things outdoors (hiking, snowboarding, swimming, skiing, etc.), like exploring the more quaint side of the Catskills, and don't mind driving 15-20 minutes to find most of the attractions. It's situated relatively close to every major attraction in the Catskills, which is really convenient.

What we did when we were here:
- Ate at the Peekamoose restaurant. Try the Saint Bohemian (cocktail), and order the braised short ribs. You won't regret it.
- Ate at Public Lounge (next to Roxbury). Owners are great, very contemporary, full bar and beer selection, and the food is EXCUISITE considering the moderate price.
- Ate at Cassie's Cafe which is hands down the most fresh, delicious, and healthy food I might have ever had
- Visited Howe Cavern, Hiked Mount Balsam (3,700 ft), swam in Alder Lake
- Got Swedish Massages
- Built a bonfire in the fire pit by the creek behind the Roxbury and shared smores with some of the other guests

If you're coming alone, with friends, with a partner, or with family, there are rooms to accommodate any size party. It's a place that should be experienced if you're going to the Catskills.

Roxbury staff - thank you for making our trip so memorable!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheLDm5
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2009

It's almost perfect.

Joe & Greg and the staff at The Roxbury Motel have thought of pretty much everything! Every detail is well thought out. Our room (and the motel overall) was not only really funky, but quite comfortable as well. The decorating touches are great - their taste is super fun and playful. But if the room (& motel) didn't also have the functionality, it would all be a waste. Luckily, that's not a problem. From the well-designed guest book with information we actually wanted to the double showerheads in the bathroom, we were impressed. The gardens are loaded with gorgeous flowers of all colors. There is greenery everywhere you look. The paper products provided are high end. I'm not talking designer tissues. Just the kind you want in your own home, not the kind you typically get to use on the road. From a girl who always carries charmin-to-go, this is a usually overlooked amenity, and an unbelievably welcome one!

Many hotels & spas give robes to use, but I rarely like the feel of them. They're typically heavy and scratchy. Not the Roxbury's - so fluffy and soft, I didn't want to take it off! I even bought one, which I've never even considered before. We purchased spa passes ($20 for the stay), and were impressed that they thought to provide disposable flip flops for our spa use. In the spa restroom and shower, they provided tons of toiletries and amenities for our use. (impressive note: sulfate free shampoo!) The river rocks in the spa shower feel great on my feet, and I loved welcoming the morning in the hot tub.

The coffee flows freely all day long on the breakfast porch, and it's a delish fresh grind of socially conscious coffee. You can also pick a gourmet tea or cocoa, if you prefer. The continental breakfast goes above and beyond with fresh breads, juice, yogurts, cereal, pastries and gourmet spreads & jams. It is presented in a friendly, comfortable country kitchen, hosted by the staff, as the dining room is also the office! Here we could sample the snacks on the dining room table, check out the items for sale on the buffet, look thru the 400+ dvd collection, pick a game to play, look for tourism ideas in the brochures, look at the idea boards for rooms of the future, grab a glass of cucumber scented water or just hang out.

There is no restaurant or bar here, but they do have a small, good selection of wines available in the kitchen. Greg and Joe are eager to recommend eateries both nearby and a distance away, depending on what you want. Interestingly, everywhere we dined, we overheard conversations about the Roxbury. How cool it was, what a breath of fresh air it is compared to other places, and the most popular discussion: the upcoming expansion at The Roxbury (a new building with 9 more guest rooms is proposed). Guests and locals alike are excited about it. We liked feeling like we were in on the secret when we overheard these tidbits, thrilled that we were staying in the hidden gem.

We wanted a relaxing weekend in the country, and we got so much more. Can't wait for the opportunity to return. It's in the running for my favorite hotel ever, anywhere.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank purple_petunia
New york
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I found The Roxbury to be just as or even more beautiful than I thought. It was just a wonderful experience. I was looking for reasons to book a stay so I planned a special Birthday trip for my best friend and our boyfriends. As soon as we arrived she was overwhelmed. The Roxbury has a wonderful staff. Thanks for all your help Karina! As soon as we were escorted to our room, my best friend started jumping up and down. I knew I made a great choice. We stayed in “The Glamouroque” room. It is definitely a work of art. I also added the “Shimmer Spa” passes to our stay and it was definitely worth it. The bathrobes are heavenly. We also toasted marshmallows by the fire pit just out back and watched DVD’s in our room at night. You have to try the “Public Lounge” the ladies there are just great. We had great drinks. The front office had fresh cookies available till about 8:00pm. My boyfriend, which I’m sure they remember, was the cookie monster that ate all the cookies. Breakfast was also very tasty. I am already planning my next trip up to the Roxbury! See you soon xoxo

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2009

THE ROXBURY INN
My husband and I drove upstate and decided to spend a few days here in mid-July 2009. From its website (theroxburymotel.com), I could tell it was going to be a hip place, so we were happy to find that there were no surprises. Everything was just as it should be.
Colorful flowers bedecked the porch and walkways, diligently tended to, we observed by one of the Inn’s talented proprietors. The other owner, Gregory Henderson, greeted us in the lobby. The tousled-blond Mr. Henderson was pleasant and friendly and gave us a quick tour around the property.
The Inn has a multitude of room themes, but we opted instead for an elegant, modern kitchenette (#2), with a distinctly 70’s vibe—a glammy, cheery, circle motif set off with deep color accents, such as a pair of cobalt-blue boa feathers and a lamp that glowed with the same intense color blue. Divine in details, the room is equipped with a 42” flat screen w/ DVD player (all the better to watch one of the hundreds of films the Inn lends out to guests—gratis!), free Wi-Fi, AC/heat, sink, micro, coffeemaker and fridge.
These fresh, white tiger lilies look so pretty against the blue tiles, I thought, surveying the bathroom. Just as I suspected, the “cool citrus basil” hand soap was made locally in the Catskills. (We noticed that our cheese platter had also been purchased locally, not only from the label but from the freshness of the goodies.) The bathroom was spotless. The amenities pleasing. The toilet paper, lacy and fluffy. Later we discovered that the king-size bed was clean and comfortable too.
Shortly after our arrival, my husband and I ate the gourmet-cheese platter we had ordered when we made our reservation, along with a bottle of director Francis Ford Coppola’s bubbly, Sophia. It came with crackers, dried fruit and chocolate ($60 wine & cheese), which we savored out in the gazebo, located on the Inn’s sweeping green lawn. From our cozy enclosure we peeked at a woman draped over a chaise longue. She was dressed in black and white, a book splayed across her forehead to block out the sun. A pile of wood stood ready in the fire pit. But if there was a fire that night, we would have missed it, because we were a few doors down sipping cocktails at Public lounge and bar. Its entrée offerings were slim—with downstate-priced alcohol—but my fish was savory and fresh. Eric wasn’t as happy with his chicken quesadillas (he had wanted the steak but it had sold out), but we both agreed that my sugar-pea side dish (local, organic) was delish. (In winter, when folks have come down off the nearby ski lifts, a hot toddy here will hit the spot.) There weren’t too many nearby options for dinner. The following night we visited the restaurant up the street at the golf course. We had a view of the lake, our portions were ample and the food was good, however the dining room’s ambiance and service left something to be desired.
The complimentary breakfast at the Inn was right up our alley. Fresh fruit and cake, granola, muffins, yogurt and a variety of gourmet toast spreads we munched by the fireplace out on the veranda. The morning air was brisk for July and we blinked in the bright sunshine while coddling our cups of coffee. Glass shards the color of peridot were scattered about the fireplace and glinted in the sun. My husband and I opted to drive into Claryville and Phonecia that day and do some sightseeing and hiking. The latter is a charming town with an assortment of small specialty shops and good restaurants. Sweet Sue’s being the primo place for an amazing brunch (cash only). It was nice to come back to the Inn, kick off our shoes, shower and watch the movie we borrowed from the front desk on the flat screen. We stepped outside later for some great stargazing too.
Before check out we were able to peek into one of the large rooms being cleaned and were absolutely delighted by the décor, color and charm of the Genie’s Bottle suite. The fact that both proprietors had been in show biz was never more evident than at that moment.
The Roxbury Inn is not your staid, cookie-cutter hotel but a vibrant mélange of marvelousness.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Avon Lake ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Found the Roxbury on line last minute. We stopped on our trip home from Cape Cod. We "tricked" our children into thinking it was your run of mill motel, when we pulled up to motel we found the cheerful green doors to be their first impression that this was not going to be run of the mill motel. we found that everything from the staff to our rooms to be awesome. We stayed in the George's Spacepad room and the kids and ourselves found it to be better then the description. It was pristine and the "glowing red tub" was fabulous. The restaurant right over the bridge "Publics" was good and the very short walk to it was worth it. After dinner we let the kids watch their movie that they chose from the extensive DVD selection and my husband and I joined a large high school reunion group out back around the fire pit. There is a cabana outback as well,we took advantage of it for a glass of wine before dinner. Breakfast was great, a lot of homemade pastries and great coffee too! We saw that they are going to add on across the street with new room themes, we plan to return next year and stay in the new wing. A British family was staying next door to us in the "Genie's Bottle" room.They gave us a tour Wow !what a great room with so much to look at. I would not want to stay then more than two nights in Roxbury their is not a lot to do around the small town. There was an old fashion baseball game one day and the town is really quiet , but, it is a once in a lifetime experience!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roxbury
Hotel Vienna
#3 of 6 in Hunter
Villa Vosilla
Villa Vosilla
#1 of 6 in Hunter

Been to The Roxbury, Contemporary Catskill Lodging? Share your experiences!