“Lovely, attentive service, soothing atmosphere, great food”
Review of Koo - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Koo
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 29 September 2013

If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful little oasis for lunch or dinner, this is the place in Rye. New owners, very personal, family business. The food reflects the kindness of the family. Our sushi and sashimi were excellent and fresh even on a Sunday evening.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have long questioned how Koo stayed in business as long as it has. First opening after the new millenium we returned from an incredible Japanese meal in San Francisco one night to Koo's opening week the next night - it was magical - although VERY expensive. Now it seems to have degraded into a "Japanese take out" place. Tonight I found out why. They have a commercially available "plug-in air freshener" behind the bar which spews deodorant into the restaurant. I thought the smell may have been from the only other people in the restaurant when I arrived, figuring perhaps they hadn't bathed, but NO the bartender proudly displayed the plug-in air freshener - which I told her to throw out into the street! OMG these people are clueless!!! The food is decent, however the owner / manager (and the staff?) need to find another career for not understanding that air fresheners are meant for garbage rooms NOT for dining spaces in restaurants!!!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Four of us visited Koo's for a late lunch. We were greeted cordially and shown to a table. The service was swift and friendly and we were soon served with the drinks which we had ordered. We chose our meals from the lunch menu. Three of us chose soup as a starter which was absolutely delicious ,my daughter chose a salad and was happy with it. Our meals took a little time to arrive but it seems they were freshly prepared which took the time. They were however all well worth waiting for as four cleared plates proved.
The restaurant was not busy at the time we were there and therefore there was not much atmosphere, but we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and would not hesitate to return.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I reviewed last year under the original owners when the restaurant was great but expensive. Under the new owners it is still expensive but everything is bland. I don't think these people know what they are doing. Stay away if you are smart. I cannot see them lasting long.

1  Thank isiciliani
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I am from CT and at the suggestion of a business owner across the street decided to try koo. She recommended the tuna rocket after I told her about my obsession for spicy food. I eagerly ordered the $15 app...and was totally bored with what I got. It was a tempura rice sushi roll in thick bbq sauce essentially. With a piece of limp cooked tuna on top. I eat everything..I'm a plate cleaner...but I couldn't do it. I even asked for a side of wasabi but it didn't help. The sauce was too thick...even for my side of brown rice I was told to order to soak it up. Ok...I'll try something spicy that I know I love..wasabi Shumai. That didn't do it either...it didn't taste right...it had a harder texture than is ideal...and wasn't even spicy. well i asked the waiter what the society thing on the menu was and he said everything was mild. Even the wasabi or jalapeno roll? "yes" ok..take 3...spicey crunchy yellowtail roll..a standard....even mild I love this roll. No...I think they rolled all the yellowtail in pepper....that's all I tasted. oh well...their wine is delicious...and their brown rice...I'm stubborn and ordered the chicken teriyaki to go for lunch tomorrow (the place has so much promise and the servers are so nice..it has to be good!) I don't know what it is....but there is just something off with the food...and it looks like others see this too but I need a real critic to come in and pinpoint it...please...help us out...most people are saying under seasoning? Maybe I got the retaliation with over seasoning?