“Fabulous and Homey”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sag Harbor
Harborwoods Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Sag Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our friends made this reservation for us because we have never been to Sag Harbor. Well, we are coming back. Barbro and Dean, our homey, caring hosts run Harborwoods as if you are there personal guests. Clean and modern, but with a classi charm. Breakfast buffet with Barbro's hot delicacy of the day, just round out a great two night stay. Want to go to the beach - well they have the passes and beach towels/chairs/and umbrellas available. They did not have a pool, but the beach was what we were looking for. Thank you Barbro and Dean! See you soon, we hope - Michael and Joy

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MikeandJoy1111

Reviewed 3 July 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Harborwoods for a weekend getaway from NYC. We had a great stay and really enjoyed the warm hospitality given by Barbro and Dean. We were there for two nights and enjoyed every second of our stay. Barbro goes all out in the mornings with her Swedish style breakfast, providing abundant amounts of delicious food and coffee. We had arrived by motorcycle and in our search for a desolate beach, Dean took the time to sketch us a map of some options nearby. That was a nice touch! The guest house is also close enough to Sag Harbor to walk into town, which we did twice. The room was very clean and bathroom was spotless. We had traveled light being on a motorcycle, but Harborwoods provided beach towels for us each day. In addition, they also let us store our gear after checkout while we hit the beach one last time. All in all, we had a great visit and I recommend this place for anyone looking for accommodation out near Sag Harbor. We will definitely be coming back to this fantastic B&B!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gibson room and it was perfect with lots of windows and fresh air.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dan G
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My boyfriend and I were extremely happy with our stay at Harborwoods. From the delicious homemade breakfast, to our quiet and cozy room, to being minutes away from town and driving distance from all other destinations, Harborwoods made us feel at home. We loved the fireplace, the feeling that everything was new or just built, and especially the wonderful night's sleep on a tempurpedic-like mattress. I would recommend this place to friends/family and look forward to booking another weekend in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dom_Pete
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My mother and I take a yearly vacation together every summer. This past summer we decided to explore the Hamptons. I was there for a brief time over ten years ago, and my mother has never been. We were there for five days. We stayed in Bridehampton at a fabulous B & B for the first part of the trip and then headed to Sag Harbor for the remaining few days. We had a great time in Bridgehampton and that B & B completely exceeded our expectations.

We were very hopeful as we arrived in Sag Harbor, but the time spent actually finding Harborwoods Guesthouse, brought our hopes down a bit. Yes it was located back in the woods and was a little tricky to find. This might be nice if you are looking for something off of the beaten path and not in walking distance to downtown.

When we finally found the place, we actually thought we were lost. There were three people on the back porch and one of them waved, so we thought ok maybe we were in the right place. I do not remember seeing any signs once we parked. We left our bags in the car and went in the back door, really not sure if this was the right door or not since there were no signs posted, no one came to greet us, etc...Once inside we found a chair with a stack of papers on it. Our names were on one of the papers. It gave directions for opening up our room. We actually did not even know where our room was at this point though! Finally a man walked in from the back porch and introduced himself. He was one of the owners, Dean. We tried to chat with him for a few minutes. We asked him to show us where our room was. He showed us where our room was and how to open the door, which did not have a key, it used a lock pad. He did not show us anything else in the house, the patio, where breakfast was served, etc..

Now this next part really took this place down a notch in our eyes. At the time of our trip I was 4 months pregnant and still suffering from pretty bad morning (all day) sickness and my mother was 61 years old. The stairs to our room were solid wood (aka: a bit slippery). We asked Dean if he would mind helping us carry our bags up the stairs. I would not have asked if I had been with my husband, or my father or not pregnant. My mother has a bad back as well. It was early in the evening too, we were not asking Dean to help us at 6am or midnight. And we each only had one bag. Maybe this was asking for too much, since Dean seemed VERY surprised and a little taken back that we had in fact asked him for his help. Very shocking especially since we were paying over $300 a night, if I remember correctly, for the room. He did help us with the bags, but the attitude really put us off.

We went to our room and settled in. The room was basic to say the least. And in basic I mean very little IKEA-like furniture. A piece of wood installed into the wall to represent a "desk", no tv, no clock and a shower so small that luckily I was only 4 months pregnant and not 9, because I would not have fit in the shower. We decided to get ready for dinner.

We went downstairs and Dean was there. We had been given some recommendations for restaurants from some friends we had met in Bridgehampton. We asked Dean's advice on these restaurants. He told us that he did not like either of them, they were for tourists, too $$ and that was it. He never actually suggested a place for us to go or a better location. Ok well no help there so we went with our original suggestions.

When we came back from dinner I noticed that there were tea bags on a small table. There were mugs as well. I was looking around for the hot water and could not find it. There was a carafe but it was empty. I had been drinking a lot of herbal tea due to the morning sickness and cup of tea would have really been helpful at the time. We were looking for the hot water when Dean came out from behind the kitchen wall. We asked him for some hot water so that I could make tea. Again he seemed very shocked and bothered! But since there were tea bags and mugs sitting out I did not think this was such an odd request. He again filled up the hot water, seemingly very bothered by the request.

Once the water was ready I poured tea for myself and my mother and we sat on the couch. We tried making small talk with Dean. We wanted to find out about the area, the beaches, etc..Dean seemed to open up a bit and began chatting with us. He then said a few comments that really made my mom and I feel uncomfortable. He informed us that his B & B is not a place where people should expect full service or to be waited on at all (as if asking for hot water was too much) and that if people wanted that they should go somewhere else. He said sometimes people are shocked but that this is not the place for them. It was VERY clear the message he was trying to send us. Very rude and very clear! We had not asked for anything out of the ordinary (help with our bags....being pregnant and my mom being 61!) and some hot water. That was it. We never expected to be waited on at all. We enjoy going to new places, meeting and talking with people and exploring new towns and beaches.
During this time Dean also informed us that they only had one bad review on Trip Advisor and that the women who wrote the review was in a "bad mood" from the start. He was very cocky and said the women had been miserable and that is why she wrote the review. I thought in my head that if I had to write a review it would not be that great either and I had NOT arrived in a bad mood. I had actually been very excited about the next stop on our trip.

Well after that little conversation we decided to head up to our room. Being downstairs in the main room felt strange. It felt like we were unwelcome house guests. I did not feel comfortable being there at all. And to top it all off we were paying A LOT of money to stay there and this is how we were made to feel! Unwelcome! So we went to bed and hoped that tomorrow would bring a better day..

We the next day was better. We actually interacted with Barbro and not Dean. Barbro was as sweet as could be. She had prepared an amazing breakfast complete with different breads, cheeses, fruit, jams, yogurt, granola, etc...She was nice and welcoming. We ate outside on the back porch and started talking to some of the other guests. After breakfast we talked to Barbro and she gave us some good advice about the beach. She was lovely and the breakfast was really outstanding.

We spent that day at the beach and then went to dinner in town. The next morning we had to get up very early because Hurricane Irene was coming and we wanted to head home (we are not big TV watchers, but this would have been one time I would have liked to see the news!) Luckily we had planned to get up around 5am, because the chicken next door would have woken us up anyways. Yes I said chickens. I heard noises early in the morning and looked out the window. I hadn't noticed before but there was some sort of chicken farm next door. There was a women out there feeding the chickens and they were very loud. But we were up and leaving anyways. I lugged all the bags down the stairs, because I did not want my mother doing it.

I am rating this place average because of the breakfast and Barbro. If I had to rate Dean's attitude and the price I would say poor. I would expect a nicer, more welcoming place for almost $300 a night. I would expect a nicer room and a more welcoming and helpful owner. I would say this place should have cost no more than $150 a night. If you are looking for a bare bones place with an excellent breakfast, this may be the spot for you. If you do not mind paying that much for bare bones though. For me, it seemed a little pricey.

My mother and I did have a great trip though because we made it great. We found some nice restaurants, walked around the town and went to the beach. We made the trip great because we were not going to let someone with a bad attitude ruin it for us. I would go back to Sag Harbor, but I would look into staying somewhere different.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank Jamie K
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Went to Harborwoods for Columbus day weekend of 2011 with my boyfriend. If you're considering a Hamptons getaway, Sag Harbor is great choice - very close to everything and easy to get to. The place was easy to find and the house was very charming and spotless clean. Barbara and Dean were are great hosts and made us feel like like we were staying at friend's house. The breakfast was delicious! The house was very tastefully done and cozy. We are planning on going back there in summer.

Room Tip: If planning on the stay with the children, or a larger group, consider the separate guest house, whi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helenmoon
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Wow, we were so happy with the great place that we chose! The owners Barbro and Dean were fantastic and totally exceeded our expectations all the way around. Our first morning when we went down for breakfast and we were greeted by two freindly faces. We had the most incredible spread of homemade jams, artisan breads and Barbro's special Swedish pancakes. Each day we enjoyed a beautiful breakfast like this on the porch over looking the garden. We stayed for an entire week and were offered a different selection everyday, all were amazing. We were treated like family from the beginning. Our hosts were both so helpful in giving us directions to local beaches, restaurants and even hidden parking lots (a secret that locals are very reluctant to share). The inn is beautiful in every detail and each room is spotless. There are wonderful touches like fresh flowers on the night stands, hair dryers and bath products. We also made use of the beach chairs, umbrellas and towels that were available to use. We had such a wonderful time visiting all the Hampton beaches and towns in the area and found the inn to be very well located. If you do not want to stay in a roadside motel or old Victorian, then I believe this is the best option in the Hamptons. It is a five star experience in our book. Have a great time, we did!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank YSeattle
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was a really great BandB experience. The entire house and rooms were newly renovated and designed, with lovely wood floors and stylish windows and common spaces -- you really feel very nice in the whole house. The bedroom we stayed in was great -- open, clean, very comfortable and quiet. The house has a great porch to hang out on during a great morning breakfast or afternoon tea. Dean and Barbro were really good hosts, super nice and helpful, with tons of good tips and suggestions -- we would love to come back here!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Limeonade119
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sag Harbor
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast
Seven on Shelter - a boutique b&b hotel
Seven on Shelter - a boutique b&...
#1 of 4 in Shelter Island Heights
White Fences Inn
White Fences Inn
#1 of 3 in Water Mill
Forever Bungalows
Forever Bungalows
#1 of 1 in Sag Harbor

Been to Harborwoods Guesthouse? Share your experiences!